Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newb advice: order of operations - Accumulate credits then enroll vs opposite?
I'm pretty well decided on either TESU or Excelsior. 

Goal is fast track bachelors in liberal studies. I'd like a BS in psych but fastest track = best track and thus far lib studies looks faster. Maybe psych masters after.

Question: which will save more cost overall?:
  1. Enroll and admit in one of the above first, then start taking courses from study/sophia (3rd party ed. platforms) etc. to aggregate.
  2. Just start taking courses, then enroll and admit to transfer in/aggregate when all but "residency" required course/credits are completed.

Is this even a good or common question? (I've searched this forum of course, not to find answers.)
What is a better question and decision to make at this point, for how to save money (first) and time (second)?

FYI - personal context: old life-long student, non-combat vet with misc. college credits, a "diploma" from a private (and closed) trade school, and decades of professional experience in software design/IT. An ADHD diagnosis later in life explained a lot about my complex history with educational institutions generally. Trying to make the most of things is all.
Have you looked at the BA in Psychology at UMPI? Excelsior isn't the easiest to work with. I tried multiple times and just couldn't get the ball rolling there. You're usually better off completing your ACE courses them applying and transferring to the school you want to enroll in. This will help you to have time to focus on those courses. It also helps to be able to complete the degree faster as you're not bouncing between programs. Faster = less $$$
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • mbcummings
I'm pretty well decided either TESU or Excelsior. 

Goal is fast track bachelors in liberal studies. I'd like a BS in psych but fastest track = best track. Maybe phych masters after.

Question: which will save more money?:
  1. Enroll and admit in one of the above first, then start taking courses from study/sophia (3rd party ed. platforms) etc. to aggregate.
  2. Just start taking courses, then enroll and admit to transfer in/aggregate when all but "residency" required course/credits are completed.
Is this even a good or common question? (I've searched this forum of course, not to find answers.) What is a better question and decision to make at this point, for how to save money (first) and time (second)?

FYI - personal context: old life-long student, non-combat vet with misc. college credits, a "diploma" from a private (and closed) trade school, and decades of professional experience in software design/IT.
(10-02-2024, 02:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you looked at the BA in Psychology at UMPI? Excelsior isn't the easiest to work with. I tried multiple times and just couldn't get the ball rolling there. You're usually better off completing your ACE courses them applying and transferring to the school you want to enroll in. This will help you to have time to focus on those courses. It also helps to be able to complete the degree faster as you're not bouncing between programs. Faster = less $$$

Excelsior not easy indeed. Had also tried. Student web platform was awful. Thanks for corroboration. 

Experience with and POV on Study.com vs others for ACE courses?
You're best off starting with Sophia first, then going to Study dot com for upper-level.

For better advice, you would want to fill out the template: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

This page has the UMPI plans, including general education requirements:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

This page has the TESU plans - could be a better choice if you don't have enough time available for competency-based and works well to enroll and then continue accumulating credits while enrolled:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:TESU
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • mbcummings
For TESU, definitely enroll first. Send in credits as you go.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-02-2024, 05:06 PM)davewill Wrote: For TESU, definitely enroll first. Send in credits as you go.

Thanks Dave. I just wonder why? Asking (not challenging) only because it seems like one could save many thousands on tuition, potentially, by accumulating credits first, then transferring in "bulk", vs trickling them in. No?
(10-03-2024, 05:43 PM)mbcummings Wrote:
(10-02-2024, 05:06 PM)davewill Wrote: For TESU, definitely enroll first. Send in credits as you go.

Thanks Dave. I just wonder why? Asking (not challenging) only because it seems like one could save many thousands on tuition, potentially, by accumulating credits first, then transferring in "bulk", vs trickling them in. No?

TESU doesn't charge you fees or tuition while you're accumulating outside credits. The only fees are a $50 one-time application fee, and a $50 fee for a 1cr TECEP to gain enrolled status. You can repeat the TECEP each year to maintain enrollment if you don't actually start courses within that time, although almost everyone does. The reason to do it this way is to lock in the catalog, and to be able to send in credits and have them evaluated for transfer equivalency.

Now sending in credits may involve fees for transcripts from the institution the credits are coming from, and it would be up to you to decide how to balance between the cost of sending multiple transcripts and the peace of mind of knowing that your completed courses been accepted at TESU as you planned them.

Some other schools do have ongoing fees or don't allow you to send in credits once you start, but not TESU.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • allvia, jch
it is dependent upon school policy. At Thomas Edison it is best to lock in your degree program and just start actively transferring things in. But there are some schools that once you enroll, you can no longer transfer in additional alt credits. There is no one size fits all answer.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • mbcummings, ss20ts
My suggestion is to get started with accumulating credits with Sophia.org, while you're getting credits, you'll know which subjects you're interested in more. You can decide on the degree and institution of your choice when you have 30-60 credits or more. I also suggest looking up the Sophia.org WIKI for transfer equivalencies, you can take courses that can transfer into the institutions of choice, thus eliminating the need of taking classes that won't transfer... You should also fill us in with more details by updating us with the info on the addendum and template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need advice regarding the application, duration and scholarships arnoldparrish 4 421 09-23-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 9,994 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 478 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 47,134 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 3,411 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 2,799 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 1,571 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,931 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 1,004 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,746 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree