Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Goal: BS IT-Security at WGU.
My Net+ experience is a little dated (2004?), but it was a fair exam. Your exposure to the CompTIA perspective will help. Net+ will be a good warm-up for the Cisco requirements of the IT-Sec track, but I would stay away from the Cisco material until you have the Net+ behind you. Mixing vendor-neutral and vendor specific can be a little confusing.

I'll have to take a look at reddit for cert info. Haven't spent much time there.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty nervous about the CCNA stuff, and I'll be putting it off like a coward, haha.

Not sure what cert stuff you're working on, but on Reddit, /r/CompTIA is a great place for their stuff and /r/CCNA seems fairly active as well.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Thanks for the information about the program and Reddit. Like I said I work in an unrelated field, but am hoping to soon cross train over into IT in the Air Guard from Maintenance. Hopefully, I'll at least have the CIS degree by then so when the company I work for replaces the IT guy we have they give me a look with the military training and the degree/degrees.
I have considered CCNA a couple of times, but I have always been in Systems Admin / Engineering roles so never had enough ROI to go for it. MCSA 2016 and CHFI are on short term goals with CISSP and MCSE 2016 being a little further out.

Net+ leads into CCENT, then CCNA, and then CCNA:Sec. Not sure where to fit in Sec+, but you will probably want that before CCNA:Sec. You will have to let me know if Lammle or Odom won the CCNA best prep award.
Andy

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics

tsimmns Wrote:Thanks for the information about the program and Reddit. Like I said I work in an unrelated field, but am hoping to soon cross train over into IT in the Air Guard from Maintenance. Hopefully, I'll at least have the CIS degree by then so when the company I work for replaces the IT guy we have they give me a look with the military training and the degree/degrees.

With your Air Guard background, do you have or can you get a security clearance?
Andy

Current Degree Plan

ajs1976 Wrote:With your Air Guard background, do you have or can you get a security clearance?

I currently have a Security Clearance, however not IT experience. Honestly I may never get into IT, I just know where I work in Texas and the contract company that I work with, the guy who works in IT is the highest paid employee other than my field. I'm pretty sure his qualifications aren't that great, but being with this union if I can just get some experience and certs I figure it will help in the long run. I'm fairly positive all he has is A+ and Sec.
tsimmns Wrote:I currently have a Security Clearance, however not IT experience. Honestly I may never get into IT, I just know where I work in Texas and the contract company that I work with, the guy who works in IT is the highest paid employee other than my field. I'm pretty sure his qualifications aren't that great, but being with this union if I can just get some experience and certs I figure it will help in the long run. I'm fairly positive all he has is A+ and Sec.

Military background & Security Clearance & Computer related bachelors (BSBA:CIS should count) & Sec+ and you should have a good shot of getting to IT specifically some part of Info Sec.
Andy

Current Degree Plan

Does WGU accept aleks for math? Because If I have to retake math. That is a deal breaker for me lol. no but seriously. I am also curious I have well over 120 credits but I do not have associates do you think they will waive all my gen eds? A lot of them are ACE recommended.

I think I may send them my transcripts to see if they will waive certain courses.

How long did it take you to have them evaluated?
Others have said they accepted ALEKS.

It took about 3 days after they received my transcripts to review them.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Course number 5 is done! I just passed the Network+ certification exam, satisfying another 4 CUs. I'm now A+ and Net+ certified (and certified with some odd CIW web site associate thing that no one has ever heard of), and over the 50% mark of my degree program.

This one took me about 3 weeks of studying, so the certs definitely slow down my pace, but i expected as much. I'm thinking I'll probably start Security+ now, keep up the cert game. Maybe keep doing certs until my next term starts, then use easy classes then to knock out my On Time Progress for term 2 before starting up certs again.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 4 786 11-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Brandon.Thomas.Downer
  Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security? Oneautumn7 22 1,744 08-06-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Oneautumn7
  WGU Computer Science degree vs Cyber security indigoshuffle 8 2,227 01-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  New BS in Network Engineering & Security on its way raekwon 12 2,768 07-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 6,029 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay
  I'm done (again)!! BS IT Security, WGU jsd 14 7,926 08-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Documenting My Journey: WGU BSIT-Security Thorne 79 22,067 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Thorne
  WGU for IT Security Degree? Calling all IT guru's marianne202 3 1,056 07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Last Post: stretcharmy