Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take?
Hello!

I am 43 years old and I recently decided to change directions from Business to IT. I want to get the Network Engineering and Security B.S. I am trying to figure out which path I want to take, General or Cisco. I want to enter the IT field in an entry level position as soon as possible. I am aiming for a starting pay of $60,000 as that's what I make now as an Assistant Manager in retail. Any less and it would be hard to support my family. I took about 2/3rds of an associates degree in Computer Technology 20 years ago. Since then I have always tried to stay up to date on basic IT. I have considered taking the GOOGLE - IT Support Professional Certificate as a refresher for everything. 
My question is would it be more beneficial to go the General Path and graduate earlier with mostly Comptia Certs, or take longer and go the CISCO path and get the CISCO certs with the potential of finding a better entry level job. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me and I am ready to get started! Thanks

Degree wanted: WGU, Network Engineering and Security B.S.
Career Goal: Information Technology 
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 
Northeastern Technical College - Cheraw South Carolina
Credits: 34
ENG 101 - English Composition I
MAT 031 - Developmental Math
MAT 150 - Fundamentals of Math
PSY 201 - General Psychology
CPT 114 - Computers and Programming
CPT 115 - COBOL Programming I
CPT 168 - Programming Logic
CPT 174 - Microcomputer Spreadsheets
CPT 215 - COBOL Programming II
CPT 255 - Operating System Fundamentals
OST 106 - Keyboarding Lab I
IST 220 - Data Communication

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 
Sophia
Credits: 34
HLTH 1010 - Introduction to Nutrition
CS 1001 - Introduction to Information Technology

BUSI 1013 - Principles of Management 
ENVS 1001 - Environmental Science 
CONRES 1000 - The Essentials of Managing Conflict
BUS 1001 - Introduction to Business
PM 1001 - Project Management
ARTHIST 1001 - Art History I
HUMBIO 1001 - Human Biology
BUS 1010 - Financial Accounting
ECON 1001 - Macroeconomics
BUSLAW 1001 - Business Law
Basically, if I was in your shoes, I would do the WGU Accelerated BSIT/Masters combo instead... You'll be well versed in both IT/Business and have a Masters in the end.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The Google IT Professional certificate would be a good refresher, but more you seem like an ideal candidate for the Pierpont BOG AAS 'Information Systems' AOS (and it seems to me that you already have the 15 credits for the AOS before the Google IT certificate). The rest of the AAS degree with Sophia and then you can block transfer into WGU (for your degree of choice), leaving you with only career focused courses to complete. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I would put focus on your Bachelors degree first and plan everything out, use a spreadsheet to keep record and track your progress... You may want to review your previous posts or threads if you're looking at the Pierpont BOG AAS, such as this one here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid404607
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-11-2023, 02:34 PM)allvia Wrote: The Google IT Professional certificate would be a good refresher, but more you seem like an ideal candidate for the Pierpont BOG AAS 'Information Systems' AOS (and it seems to me that you already have the 15 credits for the AOS before the Google IT certificate). The rest of the AAS degree with Sophia and then you can block transfer into WGU (for your degree of choice), leaving you with only career focused courses to complete. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

Allvia, Thanks. I forgot to update my progress/ mention this in my post. I completed my Pierpont BOG AAS degree last month. The AOE is Information Systems. I still feel like I need something additional before changing into IT. Most of my courses from NETC were from 20 years ago.

(11-11-2023, 01:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, if I was in your shoes, I would do the WGU Accelerated BSIT/Masters combo instead... You'll be well versed in both IT/Business and have a Masters in the end.
bjcheung77, I haven't looked at that program yet. I will have to check it out

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Education Degree Path Ad Nauseam 4 278 04-18-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 1,007 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security? Oneautumn7 22 1,749 08-06-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Oneautumn7
  Is the final capstone course for the IT, software engineering, or CS major hard? whiverem 12 1,835 06-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  BS Software Development soon to become Software Engineering MNomadic 26 4,601 03-22-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU Computer Science degree vs Cyber security indigoshuffle 8 2,227 01-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  New BS in Network Engineering & Security on its way raekwon 12 2,768 07-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU BS IT degree path/guide? SpiritedAway 4 1,706 08-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 6,030 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay
  I'm done (again)!! BS IT Security, WGU jsd 14 7,929 08-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore