Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security?
I need an outside perspective and opinion on what my best option is, or at least the best plan forward. Currently in my 30s and work in a decent job in Aerospace (A&P Mechanic, make around 80k); I'm also doing online schooling that's completely paid for, it includes a Bachelor/Masters in (Computer Science/Software Engineering). Now, I will graduate in two years, but what I'm trying to decide is what I should do now and for my future. I was thinking of doing WGU for a Bachelor in Business Management (I also already have a PMP certification, which does look good but I lack a degree); Then to most likely obtain a job in management with my current company while finishing my other degree. My mindset was that obtaining a Business degree may open doors now, and especially expand my options when I get my Computer Science degree.

The other option was to take the Cyber Security degree at WGU, which would give me a degree and certificates that I would need but wouldn't have to pay for directly myself. The probability of me obtaining a degree and finding a job with current pay scale probably not high unless I get lucky and find federal job or something (My lack of dedicated experience would be the issue). Another thing is would it be repetitive to get a degree in Cyber Security when I'm already obtaining a Computer Science degree. I just want to try and make the best overall choice; and would like peoples perspective and opinions. Thank you, I appreciate all your help.
My plan is to complete the course in one term.

What I'm leaning towards is doing the Business Management degree, while doing the certifications on my own as I continue my Computer Science degree; then apply for a management job for now. Big reason for Tech/IT because always find it intriguing and see a future in it; I enjoy and is something I always wanted to do. I do have hesitation about my lack of official experience, but I keep going back and forth and couldn't come up with a solution. Overall looking to decide what's best for now and would help in the future. Thank you again.

** Reasons I want to leave my current job: The future, can't see myself staying directly in this job and being hands on forever.
@Oneautumn7, everyone will think things differently, there are so many options around this, it depends on the person. I would work on the trifecta, certs, degree, experience. If you're looking to go into Computer Science or Cybersecurity, you want to make sure it's right for you. Depending on your tuition assistance or reimbursement, I would do the degree for Comp Sci and focus on that, if you really do have enough energy, money, time, you can add the accelerated WGU BSIT/MSITM as well.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-01-2023, 11:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Oneautumn7, everyone will think things differently, there are so many options around this, it depends on the person.  I would work on the trifecta, certs, degree, experience.  If you're looking to go into Computer Science or Cybersecurity, you want to make sure it's right for you.  Depending on your tuition assistance or reimbursement, I would do the degree for Comp Sci and focus on that, if you really do have enough energy, money, time, you can add the accelerated WGU BSIT/MSITM as well.

Thank you bjcheung77, so this is my current status:

Currently work for Aerospace as a technician mechanic
I do have a PMP certification.
Currently my school is being paid off and have about two years left; School is Regis University Computer Science Bachelor / Software Engineering  Master (doing fast forward)
Now I can handle it was thinking of doing WGU in 1 term.
Just stuck between doing Business Management, which would help me get a management job now and useful hopeful when I get my degree; while doing the certificates on my own.
or do the cyber security which won't affect me now most likely unless I find a job around the same pay; but probably would help in future but may be repetitive with my other degree.
What do you think?
What credits do you already have? And from what school(s)? Are you in TX? Using what you already have to apply it to a business degree might be a quick solution, not only to check the box now - but could be helpful later if you think you may have management goals in the future.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-02-2023, 06:53 AM)allvia Wrote: What credits do you already have? And from what school(s)? Are you in TX? Using what you already have to apply it to a business degree might be a quick solution, not only to check the box now - but could be helpful later if you think you may have management goals in the future.

Hello Allvia,

Currently in my Junior year midway with Regis, have about 72 or so may be more. Plus the classes I took at sophia.com, study.com and Straighterline. I know should be able to transfer max I could for business degree and almost somewhat max for the cyber security degree. I'm currently in Georgia, the military is paying for the bachelor/master in computer science; that's why for sure in maybe two years I should be done with both. But looking to be proactive and get a degree now; kept going back and forth with both options and just couldn't see for me what best choice for now and future. I would like to do management and/or work federal as an analyst or management some type. My age being 34 is a factor as well. Again thank you for all your help.
An MBA or Master's in Cybersecurity would be the best way to go after your bachelor's.

I would wait till you have some years of experience in Cybersecurity before doing a master's.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-02-2023, 05:29 PM)LevelUP Wrote: An MBA or Master's in Cybersecurity would be the best way to go after your bachelor's.

I would wait till you have some years of experience in Cybersecurity before doing a master's.

This is the crossroad I'm in now, while still doing the computer science degree; trying to maintain a pay of maybe 70k to 80k. I just imagine doing cyber security finding a job without a degree or a certificates would be difficult. LevelUP do you think the business management degree would be the best avaneu?
Hmm, if the military is paying for your tuition, you've got it down pat with the Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science or Software Engineering... Again, I am going to recommend the trifecta to bump up your certs, degree, experience to a higher level. You can do the UMPI PM & IS and an MBA, or the WGU BSIT/MSITM Bachelor/Masters combo... You want to max the certs, degree, experience the best you can and mix/match it to the most ROI/Value.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-02-2023, 09:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, if the military is paying for your tuition, you've got it down pat with the Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science or Software Engineering... Again, I am going to recommend the trifecta to bump up your certs, degree, experience to a higher level.  You can do the UMPI PM & IS and an MBA, or the WGU BSIT/MSITM Bachelor/Masters combo... You want to max the certs, degree, experience the best you can and mix/match it to the most ROI/Value.

Hello BJ,

Yeah by the end of the 2 years I should have a bachelor in CS / while also having a masters in software engineering.
So your recommendation is to do the WGU BSIT/MSITM?
You have a lot going on.

When you say a bachelors in management will help get you a management job, how certain of that are you? In my experience managers get promoted for proven ability. Sometimes a degree is needed as a checkbox, but is a degree in management necessary with project experience and a PMP?

Also, do you want to do management in that field? Or is it just an easy way to higher salary?

Do you want to do software or cybersecurity? For software, can you freelance while working your fulltime job and get experience that way? I think cybersecurity might have lower entry level pay, because there are jobs out there that are literally just telling the old people at the company not to get spear-phished. But I'd check on that and also look into cybersecurity freelancing or even possibly ways to cross over into it at your current company.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 362 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Business of IT - Project Management oram3189 6 586 02-18-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Business 324 or 113 study.com for BSBM Marsbar 4 398 11-23-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 4 786 11-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Brandon.Thomas.Downer
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,244 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 1,007 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Has anyone done the BS in Supply Chains and Operations Management? jsh1138 0 581 09-29-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Project Management ss20ts 4 860 05-22-2023, 09:30 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WGU Business Management - Any Grads? HBCIRCA14 7 1,260 02-22-2023, 05:22 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  WGU Computer Science degree vs Cyber security indigoshuffle 8 2,227 01-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle