Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need 54 Credits in 6 months...help please!
Ok, I need some recommendations on what is the best way for me to proceed to finish out my Bachelor's of Science at Trinity College in Florida  Smile

Here's the background. I have completed all of my upper level courses at this school, along with 15 additional credits from previous schools. Currently, I am in need of 54 credits (or 18, three credit level classes). My school has stated that they will only accept transfer credits from CLEP and Straighterline (not Sophia). 

Here is what I need: (I included this in the attachment)

- 5 classes (or 15 credits) need to come as a General Education Electives
- 1 class (or 3 credits) as a Social Science Elective
- 1 class (or 3 credits) as English Composition Credit
- 11 classes (or 33 credits) as Open Electives

Pretty much, she stated that is doesn't matter which classes I take as long as it falls into those categories. She also said that "intro" courses would be fine. I have until the first week in July, 2022 to finish and submit all of the credits. I am trying to determine what is the fastest way to get this done. I'm a little lost on which Straighterline classes to take and had hoped that I could finish for Sophia, but alas, that was not possible. 

Here are my questions: 
1. Any recommendations on which classes would be the easiest and quickest from Straighterline? 
2. Any recommendations on easiest CLEPs to pass?

Thanks so much! 

JROE

Attached Files
.png   Classes Needed.png (Size: 188.36 KB / Downloads: 20)
Before anyone can give you recommendations/suggestions, please share what classes you have completed. Ideally, share what your current transcript looks like. Also, do you have a copy of your school's Straighterline and CLEP transfer guidelines? It will be hard for anyone to make suggestions before knowing what overlaps.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(12-13-2021, 05:21 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Before anyone can give you recommendations/suggestions, please share what classes you have completed. Ideally, share what your current transcript looks like. Also, do you have a copy of your school's Straighterline and CLEP transfer guidelines? It will be hard for anyone to make suggestions before knowing what overlaps.

Sure! Attached is my degree audit (my previous attachment was an excerpt of what was needed). I was just given verbal permission from the Registrar today that I can fulfill the 54 credits from either CLEP, Straighterline, or a combination of both. There are no other limitations.

Also, I have completed my Science or Mathematics Elective (that not not been updated on my transcript yet).

Thanks!

JROE

Attached Files
.pdf   IumYB.pdf (Size: 146.1 KB / Downloads: 27)
CLEPs may be free through ModernStates, but I'm going to suggest that you might also want to take a look at what's being offered by Olivet Nazarine: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University

All of them (should) count as GE electives.
Intro to Sociology should count as a social science.
College Writing = English Comp = essentially write one essay and done. The CLEP might be easier, though? Depends on you.
All of them will definitely count as open electives.

Now, you don't have to pay for any ONU courses until you've finished and you want them added to a transcript. So, what I'd suggest is using as many ONU courses as possible to study for CLEP exams. For instance, I think Finite Math at ONU and College Math CLEP share a good amount of overlap. So, go through Finite Math at ONU and finish everything except the final project bit. Now take the College Math CLEP. If you pass the CLEP, great! Free credits. Otherwise, submit the final and pay the $150 for the ONU class.

HIS-210 at ONU should help you to prepare for both Western Civ CLEP exams.
American Government @ ONU vs. CLEP

I would also inquire as to whether they'll take UExcel exams. World Population and Workplace Communication with Computers can be passed with little/no study. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UExcel_Exams
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Honestly I think Sophia.org would fulfill all of these if they accept that transfer.

Ask if Sophia.org is acceptable. It'd be the fastest and cheapest option for you.

I know you said they won't accept it. But it is worth asking why, because it is ACE.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
Sad 
(12-13-2021, 05:33 PM)ashkir Wrote: Honestly I think Sophia.org would fulfill all of these if they accept that transfer.

Ask if Sophia.org is acceptable. It'd be the fastest and cheapest option for you.

I know you said they won't accept it. But it is worth asking why, because it is ACE.

I did specifically ask, and unfortunately, they said no  Sad

(12-13-2021, 05:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: CLEPs may be free through ModernStates, but I'm going to suggest that you might also want to take a look at what's being offered by Olivet Nazarine: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University

All of them (should) count as GE electives.
Intro to Sociology should count as a social science.
College Writing = English Comp = essentially write one essay and done. The CLEP might be easier, though? Depends on you.
All of them will definitely count as open electives.

Now, you don't have to pay for any ONU courses until you've finished and you want them added to a transcript. So, what I'd suggest is using as many ONU courses as possible to study for CLEP exams. For instance, I think Finite Math at ONU and College Math CLEP share a good amount of overlap. So, go through Finite Math at ONU and finish everything except the final project bit. Now take the College Math CLEP. If you pass the CLEP, great! Free credits. Otherwise, submit the final and pay the $150 for the ONU class.

HIS-210 at ONU should help you to prepare for both Western Civ CLEP exams.
American Government @ ONU vs. CLEP

I would also inquire as to whether they'll take UExcel exams. World Population and Workplace Communication with Computers can be passed with little/no study. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UExcel_Exams

Is it possible to get through ONU classes that fast? I have to have them complete before July and it was my understanding that certain Straighterline classes could be completed more quickly since most classes that I need are electives. 

I will ask about UExcel classes. They did seem pretty strict with only accepting Straighterline and CLEP.

Thoughts?

JROE
For the most part, yes, you should be able to complete ONU classes as fast as you'd be able to be able to study for CLEP exams. Skip the science one(s). Literature might also be a bit heavy. Each one will tell you how any hours they think it'll take you to complete, but that's just an estimate. They're 100% self-paced. If you're able to complete the assignments without watching the videos (for instance, if you've already done Algebra, you should have no problem just completing the assignments/quizzes for Finite Math without any study), you could theoretically finish a class in 1-2 days.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-13-2021, 05:32 PM)JROE Wrote:
(12-13-2021, 05:21 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Before anyone can give you recommendations/suggestions, please share what classes you have completed. Ideally, share what your current transcript looks like. Also, do you have a copy of your school's Straighterline and CLEP transfer guidelines? It will be hard for anyone to make suggestions before knowing what overlaps.

Sure! Attached is my degree audit (my previous attachment was an excerpt of what was needed). I was just given verbal permission from the Registrar today that I can fulfill the 54 credits from either CLEP, Straighterline, or a combination of both. There are no other limitations.

Also, I have completed my Science or Mathematics Elective (that not not been updated on my transcript yet).

Thanks!

JROE

It would still be helpful to know what the CLEPs/Straighterline courses transfer in as since some may overlap. Also, some CLEPs are recommended for more than 3 credits, so they may be a good way to get through more credits quicker IF they accept them that way. 

If you already know french, german, or Spanish, take those CLEPs, as they're worth 6-9 credits each.

If you like science or already know a good bit, you can get 18 credits for taking chem, bio, and natural science.

If you're good at math, you can potentially take college math clep for 6 credits.

Some others that are considered easy and can likely be passed with little to no prep include information systems, management, marketing, and analyzing/interpreting literature.

CLEP transfer sheet for your school

Straighterline I don't know as much about but I know if you push yourself, you should be able to finish some of those classes within days/weeks.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
1) Trinity College is Nationally Accredited, it will be OK if you're going for Masters at other universities that accept Nationally Accredited degrees. Walden, WGU, Purdue Global, etc will accept them just fine for their Masters. Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Co...of_Florida

2) I would get a membership of StraighterLine and take their business courses and other courses that are open book final exams, get the ones without any written assignments... Here's the list of StraighterLine with open book exams: https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/

SL courses that can be “passed” before taking the final exam

Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Introduction to Communication
First Aid
Business Communication
Accounting 1
Accounting 2
Anatomy & Physiology 1
Anatomy & Physiology 2
Criminal Justice
Microbiology
Personal Finance
Physics
Principles of Management
Spanish 1
Spanish 2
Sociology
American Government
Business Law
Business Statistics
Cultural Anthropology
Environmental Science
Financial Accounting
Introduction to Business
Introduction to Nutrition
Introduction to Religion
Organizational Behavior
Pharmacology 1
Pharmacology 2
United States History 1
United States History 2
Western Civilization 1
Western Civilization 2
Personal Fitness
Psychology
Biology
Business Ethics
Introductory Algebra
IT Fundamentals
Managerial Accounting
Medical Terminology
Pre-Calculus
Survey of World History
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Pikachu
Based on your transcript what you're missing for English Composition Elective is Comp II (you already have Comp I credit).  You can get that through SL, or you'd need the CLEP Comp w/essay.  SL can be slow to grade on Comp II so be sure to take that earlier rather than later on.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELP!!!!!! Old Transfer Credits Kimbap 3 183 09-11-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Trying for Excelsior criminal justice with transfer credits and using Sophia mikefrank113 0 188 08-30-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: mikefrank113
  Need help finding a graduate program that will take really old TV Production Credits lisarox 24 2,455 08-23-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: wow
  Help - Math Credits for TESU Frederico.Sandoval 2 183 08-21-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Frederico.Sandoval
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 6 695 06-15-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: dhiness
  I dropped out of Engineering school last year with over 100 credits, now what? Elephent 5 602 06-10-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: davewill
  3 A.S. degrees, 153 Credits, Need help with finding the quickest route to a bachelor Lion570 3 434 06-08-2024, 11:18 PM
  Degree Planning Advice for 55 yr old with 150 credits supernow 14 978 06-05-2024, 12:26 PM
  Advice for my 17 year old daughter with over 100 credits done... Computer/IT Focused. EDUxplorer 15 3,127 06-04-2024, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Need credits for CPA dgsky 16 1,917 05-30-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Chankosumo