Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in
Your Location: Lévis, QC, Canada (dual citizenship: USA & Canada)
Your Age: 51
What kind of degree do you want? I want a bachelor's Degree in Business Administration (I am choosing the Marketing curriculum as my greater goal is to get a certificate or Master's in translation).

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 36
School Name - SUNY (State University of NY) Plattsbrugh GPA 3.58
Total Credits: #36

ANT 102 COMPARATIVE CULTURES 3.0 B
FRE 111 ELEMENTARY FRENCH 3.0 PR
FRE 112 ELEMENTARY FRENCH 3.0 PR
FRE 213 INTERMEDIATE FRENCH 3.0 A
HIS 121 EUR CIVILIZATION TO 1815 3.0 B
MAT 224 CALCULUS 1 4.0 A-
PHI 112 INTRO TO LOGIC 3.0 A
CSC 111 CMP REASONING PROBLEM SOLVING 3.0 A
ECO 101 PRINCIPLES OF ECONOMICS 3.0 B-
FRE 214 INTERMEDIATE FR II 3.0 A-
FRE 216 CONVERSATIONAL FRENCH 2.0 A-
SPA 111 ELEMENTARY SPANISH 1 3.0 A

All of these were from FALL 1989 - SPRING 1990

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:
None yet

Budget: The budget is not an issue as much as I just want to knock this out as fast as possible.
Commitments: I work part-time flexible hours.
Dedicated time to study: I'd like to study 15-20 hours per week to finish the degree plan.
Timeline: Ideally, I'd like to finish in 6 months, but I am willing to extend it to May 2025, as needed.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I could apply for the FAFSA to see, but I'm not sure I'd qualify for any aid.

Introduction: Hello. I started SUNY Plattsburgh for a French degree in 1989 but switched to a 3-year unaccredited religious studies program. That was a poor long-term decision, and I need an accredited degree to do the job I want. My experience is in business administration (20+ years) and translation (4+ years), and I really need a bachelor's degree to be able to apply for positions that interest me. After the Bachelor's, I'd like to continue to get a certificate of Master's in translation.

I've read many posts and watched many videos about degree hacking to get a diploma quickly. I believe I have settled on going with UMPI since they seem to offer the best chance to get credit for my 36 SUNY credits.  If there is another program that would meet the main goal (Bachelor's in BA with minimal coursework and maximum credit acceptation), please feel free to let me know which one and why you are recommending it for me.

I would love to have someone look over my degree audit plan to see if it looks solid.  Is it likely that my SUNY credits will transfer as detailed?  Do all the extra credits that don't fit fall easily into the elective requirements? (I've attached a screenshot of my plan for evaluation).

What are the risks associated with taking classes through Sophia, Study.org, and Coursera regarding:
1. My application being refused by UMPI (what reasons are there for non-acceptance)
2. Those transfer credit outlets are no longer accepted as transfer credit by the time I make the official application to UMPI 

By my plan, I would have:
Do the non-UMPI credits easily transfer under one clearing house document (SUNY, Sophia, Study.com, Coursera)?
  • 36 Transfer credits SUNY
  • 39 Sophia credits (to take)
  • 12 Study.com credits (to take)
  • 3 Coursera credits (to take)
  • 30 UMPI credits (to take)

I am really ready to start my first classes, but I would love to have my plan validated before making the leap!  Thanks so much!!

Attached Files
.pdf   dhiness_degree audit UMPI.pdf (Size: 148.41 KB / Downloads: 28)
@dhiness, Quebec City! Mon ami, parles-tu français? Je sais ce que tu as fait, très bien! Great job in completing the addendum, template, plus additional info and the spreadsheet with plan! Depending on your budget, energy, time, you may want to ladder that BABA to the MAOL by taking 3 classes that go towards the MAOL. You can then focus on the Masters or certificate in Translation afterwards.

After skimming through the plan, I don't think there should be any problems, I would work on a provider at a time, finish the Sophia.org first (you can do more classes if you have the energy, time), then Study.com (with a coupon code of course), if you're going for Coursera, you may want to get more under your belt (if you're getting a membership already), to mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jg_nuy
Can anyone confirm which class at Sophia is actually the right one to count for the COM210? It seems that the PJC-215 used to be the BABA core requirement, but it is no longer listed; in its place is the COM210.

I've done an extensive search on all these boards and on the internet, and the information is very conflicting or lacks clarity on this point. 

Is the course to take for that credit (COM210), the Business Communications BUSI1025 or the Workplace Communication COMM1010?  

Has someone taken the correct course and received credit to confirm?

Thanks  Rolleyes
Merging/moving your post into your own thread instead of having this under someone else's academic evaluation thread... It serves the purpose to bump up your own thread to get more traction, and also to see if others have extra advice for you instead of being off topic on someone else's academic evaluation... The WIKI and previous posts should indicate the evaluation equivalencies, that's where LevelUP and Rachel83AZ, plus senior members get their info and update the WIKI.

Here are two pages that mention equivalency, there should be at least one more on the WIKI.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • dhiness
(06-15-2024, 10:58 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Merging/moving your post into your own thread instead of having this under someone else's academic evaluation thread... It serves the purpose to bump up your own thread to get more traction, and also to see if others have extra advice for you instead of being off topic on someone else's academic evaluation... The WIKI and previous posts should indicate the evaluation equivalencies, that's where LevelUP and Rachel83AZ, plus senior members get their info and update the WIKI.

Here are two pages that mention equivalency, there should be at least one more on the WIKI.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents

Thank you; I will attempt to figure out how to merge it with my own post.
(06-15-2024, 08:38 AM)dhiness Wrote: Can anyone confirm which class at Sophia is actually the right one to count for the COM210? It seems that the PJC-215 used to be the BABA core requirement, but it is no longer listed; in its place is the COM210.

I've done an extensive search on all these boards and on the internet, and the information is very conflicting or lacks clarity on this point. 

Is the course to take for that credit (COM210), the Business Communications BUSI1025 or the Workplace Communication COMM1010?  

Thanks  Rolleyes

Workplace Communication on Sophia transfers in as COM 210.
(06-15-2024, 03:53 PM)CharisandJon Wrote:
(06-15-2024, 08:38 AM)dhiness Wrote: Can anyone confirm which class at Sophia is actually the right one to count for the COM210? It seems that the PJC-215 used to be the BABA core requirement, but it is no longer listed; in its place is the COM210.

Thanks  Rolleyes

(06-15-2024, 03:53 PM)CharisandJon Wrote:

Thanks  Rolleyes

Thank you. I read that it was Public Speaking from the sources referenced on the WIKI links, but I had read on one other thread that Workplace Communication was the right one. I'd prefer to do the Workplace Communication one to the Public Speaking course.

The confusion for me comes from the fact that the Wiki degree link for equivalencies https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
lists the Workplace Communication as an equivalent to BUS210 instead of COM210, which is possibly a transcription error since most of the business courses start with BUS and not COM. If the people who manage that list could look into that discrepancy, it could be helpful for others trying to find that equivalency. I personally spent way too much time trying to decipher that course's match for Sophia.org.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 214 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  Degree plan wanted for UK student (CS) FungiTao 1 109 09-13-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for advice on choosing a degree for a career change frankc 13 901 09-13-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Obrajnick
  Degree Advise/plan Wanted for a Canadian Student nbid 10 494 09-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 9 367 09-12-2024, 11:02 PM
  HELP!!!!!! Old Transfer Credits Kimbap 3 151 09-11-2024, 02:35 PM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 11 1,126 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Lightbulb Accelerated Degree Plan For New Career new_start2025+ 12 525 09-08-2024, 11:38 PM
  Graduating Faster Plan? Or purchase degree hacking course TheSuccessPlug 15 655 09-05-2024, 05:07 PM
Last Post: wow
  UMPI BA Project Management Billyjoe2308 5 277 09-02-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Billyjoe2308