Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NCAT PhD in Leadership
Hello, I stumbled across this today... a PhD in Leadership from North Carolina A&T. 
https://online.ncat.edu/phd-ls.html

North Carolina A&T State University is a land-grant research university and historically black with a long and noted history. They hold SACS accreditation which is regional. The brochure (I attached it) is a bit out of date but it does seem interesting. 

Any thoughts on this? (I'm looking for doctorates in Administration or Leadership to pursue next year). For in-state for North Carolina this is only $12582 with my job remote that is tempting lol $46440 for outside of North Carolina.

Attached Files
.pdf   LEST Brochure 2016.pdf (Size: 787.4 KB / Downloads: 13)
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
For a leadership degree, I think one should get the cheapest degree one can find since these degrees are typically check-the-box degrees. If your goal is teaching, you might have to rely on your master's degree to show field expertise, but the PhD will give you the terminal degree they're looking for. This is common in fields in which doctoral degrees are currently uncommon. For example, one of my security studies professors had a PhD in leadership, but he had master's degrees and professional experience that were related to the field. It's rare for a person to have a doctoral degree in security studies because those types of programs are rare.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • SteveFoerster
(08-22-2021, 01:33 PM)ashkir Wrote: Hello, I stumbled across this today... a PhD in Leadership from North Carolina A&T. 

North Carolina A&T State University is a land-grant research university and historically black with a long and noted history. They hold SACS accreditation which is regional. The brochure (I attached it) is a bit out of date but it does seem interesting. 

Any thoughts on this? (I'm looking for doctorates in Administration or Leadership to pursue next year). For in-state for North Carolina this is only $12582 with my job remote that is tempting lol $46440 for outside of North Carolina.

I feel that leadership or administration degrees are meant for people in the field that want to advance their skills in management. If you are looking to teach leadership may not be the correct direction as some colleges and universities avoid hiring leadership or administration degree graduates although I have seen DBA students score some decent teaching position in business programs. Find the degree that works right for you and your future plans, you should be fine. I would rather be happy with the program I choose than miserable attempting to finish a program I do not enjoy or have any interest in studying.
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
The University of the Cumberlands offers as PhD in Leadership Studies (an RA, brick and mortar, non-profit) with an array of 18 c/h specializations, which you can either finish at the school, or transfer in via a second masters or doctoral degree/credit (other than the credential used for qualifying for entrance to the doctoral program). I believe tuition in $325 per credit hour, and the program is offered online.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeanLewis's post:
  • SteveFoerster
(08-24-2021, 10:59 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: The University of the Cumberlands offers as PhD in Leadership Studies (an RA, brick and mortar, non-profit) with an array of 18 c/h specializations, which you can either finish at the school, or transfer in via a second masters or doctoral degree/credit (other than the credential used for qualifying for entrance to the doctoral program). I believe tuition in $325 per credit hour, and the program is offered online.

Cumberlands is definitely on my list. I'm trying to find the other jewels out there. There has to be another one that we barely know about Big Grin. The comps for Cumberlands is what makes me nervous. And they seem to require you to go on campus for a residency last I checked.

(08-23-2021, 09:39 AM)newdegree Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 01:33 PM)ashkir Wrote: Hello, I stumbled across this today... a PhD in Leadership from North Carolina A&T. 

I feel that leadership or administration degrees are meant for people in the field that want to advance their skills in management. If you are looking to teach leadership may not be the correct direction as some colleges and universities avoid hiring leadership or administration degree graduates although I have seen DBA students score some decent teaching position in business programs. Find the degree that works right for you and your future plans, you should be fine. I would rather be happy with the program I choose than miserable attempting to finish a program I do not enjoy or have any interest in studying.
I'm not really looking to move into teaching.
(08-24-2021, 10:59 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: The University of the Cumberlands offers as PhD in Leadership Studies (an RA, brick and mortar, non-profit) with an array of 18 c/h specializations, which you can either finish at the school, or transfer in via a second masters or doctoral degree/credit (other than the credential used for qualifying for entrance to the doctoral program). I believe tuition in $325 per credit hour, and the program is offered online.

Cumberlands religious positions are legitimate problems for some people, problems they wouldn’t encounter with a state school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Courcelles's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-24-2021, 12:44 PM)Courcelles Wrote:

Cumberlands religious positions are legitimate problems for some people, problems they wouldn’t encounter with a state school.

That's true, it's an unabashedly conservative Baptist institution. At the same time, though, there is zero religious content actually in the program and they're pretty welcoming.

(08-24-2021, 12:13 PM)ashkir Wrote: Cumberlands is definitely on my list. I'm trying to find the other jewels out there.

I did my coursework at Cumberlands and like them a lot. They're especially a good choice for someone who has two Master's degrees or an EdS or who otherwise have "extra" graduate credit to transfer in as a specialization.

But I dragged my heels so long during the dissertation phase that when I was ready to go back I qualified for ABD completion programs, and decided on the one at Baker College. The people at Baker College are approachable and supportive, and the school isn't terribly priced, so you might look at them as well: https://www.baker.edu/academics/graduate...ration-dba
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 2 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • DeanLewis, newdegree
(08-24-2021, 12:44 PM)Courcelles Wrote: Cumberlands religious positions are legitimate problems for some people, problems they wouldn’t encounter with a state school.

After my experience at Charleston Southern University, I would not attend another religious school. It's not my cup of tea. It's not as extreme as Liberty, but it's far too much religion for my tastes and there are religious requirements you can't get out of. No thanks!
(08-24-2021, 01:30 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 12:44 PM)Courcelles Wrote:

That's true, it's an unabashedly conservative Baptist institution. At the same time, though, there is zero religious content actually in the program and they're pretty welcoming.

(08-24-2021, 12:13 PM)ashkir Wrote: Cumberlands is definitely on my list. I'm trying to find the other jewels out there.

I did my coursework at Cumberlands and like them a lot. They're especially a good choice for someone who has two Master's degrees or an EdS or who otherwise have "extra" graduate credit to transfer in as a specialization.

But I dragged my heels so long during the dissertation phase that when I was ready to go back I qualified for ABD completion programs, and decided on the one at Baker College. The people at Baker College are approachable and supportive, and the school isn't terribly priced, so you might look at them as well: https://www.baker.edu/academics/graduate...ration-dba

Right now on my masters I'm having to write 40-50 pages of essays sometimes a week. I would really love to only have to write 5-10 pages a week. Do you think this exists in a doctorate anywhere? I don't mind a longer final like 10-30 pages. 

But, I had a single class in my masters that had over 200 pages of essays in a single month :|

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Purdue Global (PUG) EdD in Leadership and Innovation walruspanda 26 3,669 09-04-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  UCA PdD in Leadership Tuition Price Hike mohelena02 0 141 08-30-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UCA Ph.D. Change Leadership Update + Facts mohelena02 9 1,335 08-29-2024, 09:20 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  TESU New Ed.D in Organizational Leadership, Culture, and Change maguirewj 3 617 05-03-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: maguirewj
  Central Arkansas Leadership PhD, $20.5k freeloader 5 1,494 03-26-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Ph.D. in Visionary Practice and Regenerative Leadership ashkir 26 3,587 12-17-2023, 12:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Multiple Capstone Options sanantone 5 1,697 07-15-2022, 02:11 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Competency-Based Leadership Doctorates and MA at Andrews University sanantone 2 1,913 09-19-2021, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  UMass EdD in Organizational Leadership ashkir 10 2,241 08-31-2021, 09:47 PM
  DBA or PH.D in Educational Leadership for more opportunities lucianovalente 8 2,107 05-22-2020, 04:30 PM