Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Purdue Global (PUG) EdD in Leadership and Innovation
I'm finishing up a PUG MSIT next month, and I was considering going for an online IT Doctorate next -- hard to justify on an ROI basis (since I'm in my mid-40s), but I really enjoy learning, it'd be partially paid for by my employer, and hey, Dr. WalrusPanda has a nice ring to it. 

The trouble with this, I've found, is basically threefold:
  • PhDs are long and expensive, and I'm impatient and cheap. (University of the Cumberlands' online PhD in IT is probably the closest to what I'm looking for, but it's still a three-year program.)
  • DBAs aren't really what I'm looking for, and there aren't a lot of cheap RA DBA IT options out there anyway. (South College has probably the best for my situation, but reading the AI issues discussed in their unofficial FB group have me a bit skittish.)
  • More practical IT doctorates are few and far between. Middle Georgia State has a really interesting seeming DScIT program, but because I don't get my Masters until late March, I can only apply for the Summer 2025 cohort, and I don't know if I want to wait that long. 
However, because I work in the educational sector (in an IT role), I also started to look at EdDs, and there's a lot to like about PUG's EdD:
  • If you come in with a Masters (which you're required to), it looks like you can knock out 30 credits immediately as your cognate electives, getting you a third of the way through the degree already (assuming you want your cognate to be in what your Masters is in).
  • The remaining 60 credits are $420 a credit, making the degree cost around $25,000 -- maybe a couple thousand more with fees. Not bad. But for PUG grads like me, though, it gets dropped to $336 a credit, which seems like a pretty great deal.
  • From what I've read on FB, the 700 courses can be taken two at a time, which means that the degree can be finished in 8 10-week terms, or about 20 months. I couldn't find any other RA EdD that could be finished that quickly.
  • Discussions on FB seem to imply the workload is...not easy, of course, but reasonable for a doctorate program.
It's not quite exactly what I was looking for in a doctorate, but it has enough positives for me it's a serious consideration.
Purdue University Global
in-progress: EdD in Leadership and Innovation (IT cognate), expected December 2025
completed: MS in Information Technology, March 2024

completed: BS in Information Technology (IT Management concentration), October 2023
[-] The following 3 users Like walruspanda's post:
  • allvia, jb111, Jonathan Whatley
DBA IT is kind of rare because IT isn't really a business field. There are doctorates in various parts of IT/CS/CIS. They're usually PhDs though. Seems like there's few online unfortunately. They're definitely not on the cheaper side of life either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • walruspanda
(02-09-2024, 04:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote: DBA IT is kind of rare because IT isn't really a business field.

Yeah, there are only a few I found, mostly focusing on IT management. But for my career, which might not leave K-12 education, PUG's Ed.D. with a cognate in IT is probably better than a DBA anyway.
Purdue University Global
in-progress: EdD in Leadership and Innovation (IT cognate), expected December 2025

completed: BS in Information Technology (IT Management concentration), October 2023
AMA's DIT is a little under $5k and takes 2 years. People here have said it evaluates to RA equivalent. https://onlinepostgrad.com/dr-informational-technology/

Holy Angel University (also in the Philippines) has a DT program, but they didn't bother to write me back when I asked if it could be done online. As long as they don't have any extra fees for foreigners (like University of the Philippines Open University) their DT would be about $3k and take 3 years, unless you already have a dissertation ready to go. HAU is actually RA accredited in the US so no there will be no issues with their degrees.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kalas's post:
  • walruspanda
(02-09-2024, 06:19 PM)Kalas Wrote: AMA's DIT is a little under $5k and takes 2 years. People here have said it evaluates to RA equivalent. https://onlinepostgrad.com/dr-informational-technology/

That's a nice option that I hadn't seen before. I'm kinda stuck with US RA schools, for reasons related to my current field of employment, but otherwise I'd strongly consider that.
Purdue University Global

[-] The following 2 users Like walruspanda's post:
  • Darknigh7, ss20ts
Can you give some more information about Holy Angel holding US Regional accreditation?  I dont see anything like that online
university of north georgia
Ed.D in Higher Education Leadership and Practice
School has a tuition calculator but for online, out of state people it comes to 950$ a 3 credit course
60 credits needed for the degree, so roughly 20k for the degree without any transferring credits in.

https://ung.edu/degrees/graduate/higher-...ce-edd.php
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - June 2025

Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 1 user Likes TINASAM's post:
  • walruspanda
Basically, I wrote about both institutions (and a few more in other countries as well), here are the two threads (I created on the same date) of a few you may want to review. I suggest also looking at the ones within India, Malaysia, etc, that hit your educational goal. If you see the evaluation from WES tool, some do not come in as doctorates, but may when they do a complete evaluation.

Inexpensive Doctorates: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ed-country
Doctorates in PI Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-in-the-PI
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-10-2024, 04:07 PM)knaves Wrote: Can you give some more information about Holy Angel holding US Regional accreditation?  I dont see anything like that online

This is where I got it:

https://iacbe.org/memberpdf/HolyAngelUniversity.pdf

from the PI thread on the sister forum:
https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...-pi.59848/

FWIW I've sent emails to a few different email addresses on HAU's website looking for some more information about the DBA and DT programs and no one bothered to write back.
Ok, unless Im missing something it just sounds like WES said they have US equivalency, not regional accreditation. IACBE offers programatic accreditation, very different from regional accreditation. Does anyone see anything different?
[-] The following 1 user Likes knaves's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCA PdD in Leadership Tuition Price Hike mohelena02 0 130 08-30-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UCA Ph.D. Change Leadership Update + Facts mohelena02 9 1,312 08-29-2024, 09:20 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  TESU New Ed.D in Organizational Leadership, Culture, and Change maguirewj 3 609 05-03-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: maguirewj
  Central Arkansas Leadership PhD, $20.5k freeloader 5 1,489 03-26-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Ph.D. in Visionary Practice and Regenerative Leadership ashkir 26 3,566 12-17-2023, 12:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue University Doctor of Technology Program JTP 12 4,541 05-10-2023, 03:20 PM
Last Post: JTP
  Accounting DBA / Global Business Recommendation SomeRandomAccountant 6 1,474 02-05-2023, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Multiple Capstone Options sanantone 5 1,694 07-15-2022, 02:11 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Competency-Based Leadership Doctorates and MA at Andrews University sanantone 2 1,911 09-19-2021, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  Ph.D./DBA in Strategy and Innovation or Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Innovation PositiveSoul 1 1,081 09-06-2021, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Alpha