Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU
(07-30-2021, 12:46 PM)park0902 Wrote:
(07-30-2021, 10:31 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The minors are only 18 credits so I'm not sure how you need 24 credits for your minor. Spanish can be taken on InstantCert and the bio course can be done on Study.com instead of at UMPI. The studio art class in YourPace is fulfilled by a humanities course. Might be worth it to take a break from UMPI and complete more classes on Sophia and those above and transfer them in. We typically don't recommend applying to UMPI until you've completed 90 transferable credits.

My mistakes, my minors are 21 credits. I took almost every class at Sophia so I don't know what else I can take to fulfill the requirements. If I'm going to pay $200 for study.com I might as well do Hum-201 (transferred as Hum 103) along with Bio 101L because the subscription includes 2 tests AFAIK, right? I looked it up and Instantcert costs like 20 bucks a month plus $89 for the CLEP,  I've never learned Spanish so it's going to take me a couple of months to pass and pause my progress at UMPI (costs more time), so that's $129. 
So I left with 7 minor classes and 5 UL electives which I can finish in 3-4 sessions (6-8 months) at UMPI.
That's $4200 or $5600 plus $329 for the tests (1-2 months)
Total of $4529 or $5929 (7-10 months)

Meanwhile, for TESU, I'll spend 1 month plus $130 for Davar and 3 months plus $5047 to finish the capstone and graduate.
Total of $5177 (4 months)
The time I save to work more while studying and also graduate quickly to find better work is worth it, in my opinion.

(07-30-2021, 12:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not certain why you think TESU would be cheaper (although MAYBE faster if you already have 114cr).

I'm also not certain how you're ending up with having to take so many classes at UMPI?  We have it where you can bring a ton of alt-credit in and just take 30cr there - the entire major/concentration/minor, plus ~4 electives?  Why aren't you doing this?

I thought I have to take my UL electives at UMPI. My minor is in Educational Studies so I don't know where to get alternative credits from. I know I have to take at least 30 credits at UMPI but I'm not sure how I can optimize it to where I only take 30 credits at UMPI.

Have UMPI told you they wont take the ACE credit from InstantCert/InstantCredit? I wouldn't pay for the CLEP either in that scenario. You would be better using ModernStates prep course (free) and getting a free Clep voucher.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sarahmac's post:
  • park0902
(07-30-2021, 01:10 PM)sarahmac Wrote: Have UMPI told you they wont take the ACE credit from InstantCert/InstantCredit? I wouldn't pay for the CLEP either in that scenario. You would be better using ModernStates prep course (free) and getting a free Clep voucher.

Oh yeah, my bad, double-checked it. I was confused that I had to pay for CLEP separately. $20 for a class is really good value. I don't know if UMPI would take it or not, but I think I've seen people bringing in Spanish from InstantCert before. It should be ok I suppose.
Sophia.org: 74 LL credits
TEEX: 13 credits (3 UL + 10LL) 
ACTFL: 24 credits (12 LL + 12 UL) 
Community College: 81 LL credits (2 AAs)
WGU: 9 UL credits
UMPI: 42 credits (30 UL + 12 LL)
Study.com 12 credits (6 UL + 6LL)
UMPI BLS, minor in Management. Magna Cum Claude. (May '22)
(07-30-2021, 12:46 PM)park0902 Wrote: My mistakes, my minors are 21 credits. I took almost every class at Sophia so I don't know what else I can take to fulfill the requirements. If I'm going to pay $200 for study.com I might as well do Hum-201 (transferred as Hum 103) along with Bio 101L because the subscription includes 2 tests AFAIK, right? I looked it up and Instantcert costs like 20 bucks a month plus $89 for the CLEP,  I've never learned Spanish so it's going to take me a couple of months to pass and pause my progress at UMPI (costs more time), so that's $129. 
So I left with 7 minor classes and 5 UL electives which I can finish in 3-4 sessions (6-8 months) at UMPI.
That's $4200 or $5600 plus $329 for the tests (1-2 months)
Total of $4529 or $5929 (7-10 months)

Meanwhile, for TESU, I'll spend 1 month plus $130 for Davar and 3 months plus $5047 to finish the capstone and graduate.
Total of $5177 (4 months)
The time I save to work more while studying and also graduate quickly to find better work is worth it, in my opinion.

You have me confused. I thought you've already completed courses at UMPI? If you have then you don't have to complete 12 more classes at UMPI. You only have to complete a total of 10 classes to get to the 30 credit requirement. I would pause my enrollment and go take classes on Sophia or Study.com and transfer them in then finish what you have to take at UMPI. 

Spanish on InstantCert is pretty easy. There's no speaking for the exam so that is the one I would take.
I took 12 credits at UMPI, not classes. But I'll give it some thoughts. Thanks a lot for your recommendation. Do you know if I can transfer UL electives or minor classes from outside sources?
(07-30-2021, 08:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You have me confused. I thought you've already completed courses at UMPI? If you have then you don't have to complete 12 more classes at UMPI. You only have to complete a total of 10 classes to get to the 30 credit requirement. I would pause my enrollment and go take classes on Sophia or Study.com and transfer them in then finish what you have to take at UMPI. 

Spanish on InstantCert is pretty easy. There's no speaking for the exam so that is the one I would take.
(07-30-2021, 09:51 PM)park0902 Wrote: I took 12 credits at UMPI, not classes. But I'll give it some thoughts. Thanks a lot for your recommendation. Do you know if I can transfer UL electives or minor classes from outside sources?
(07-30-2021, 08:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You have me confused. I thought you've already completed courses at UMPI? If you have then you don't have to complete 12 more classes at UMPI. You only have to complete a total of 10 classes to get to the 30 credit requirement. I would pause my enrollment and go take classes on Sophia or Study.com and transfer them in then finish what you have to take at UMPI. 

Yes you can transfer in UL courses and minor courses. Check your degree evaluation sheet from your advisor to see how many UL courses you have to complete at UMPI though. If you're already completed 12 credits at UMPI then you technically only need to complete 18 more at UMPI and the UL requirements.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • park0902
@park0902 - so, to recap, again, decide which degree/school will fit your plans/schedule most.
I still recommend evaluating everything, but as I was mentioning earlier, I think the UMPI in 3 terms is best.

1) you need to find out what 18 credits are at UMPI you have to do and can't transfer in.
2) List your courses you need so we can also help you find which provider will have those courses
3) Time management, you have done 4 courses that first term, you just need 6 more to finish - that should be doable in 1 or at most 2 terms
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • park0902
(08-01-2021, 10:44 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @park0902 - so, to recap, again, decide which degree/school will fit your plans/schedule most.  
I still recommend evaluating everything, but as I was mentioning earlier, I think the UMPI in 3 terms is best.

1) you need to find out what 18 credits are at UMPI you have to do and can't transfer in.
2) List your courses you need so we can also help you find which provider will have those courses
3) Time management, you have done 4 courses that first term, you just need 6 more to finish - that should be doable in 1 or at most 2 terms

@ss20ts @bjcheung77 I'd appreciate the suggestions for faster classes outside of UMPI. I've taken TEEX Death Investigation and will try to transfer it to UMPI for UL electives. I think it's really tricky to transfer outside credits to UMPI. I don't know if I have to take all of the 18 remaining UL at UMPI or I can transfer from outside sources. Maybe I can take alternative minor classes from outside sources but I don't know where (like study.com?) to get it and which ones are the equivalent courses at UMPI. I'd switch my minor to MIS if I continue with UMPI because it'd be the fastest minor for me as you guys suggest, and this is the course list I plan to do:
Minor:
BUS 141: Introduction to Project Management with Microsoft Projects (done, 3 credits)
BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing
BUS 244: Management Information Systems (done, 3 credits)
BUS 245: Programming for Managers
BUS 345: Database Management Systems
BUS 440: Business Analytics
24 UL credits elective:
BUS 321: Human Resource Management (done, 3 credits)
BUS 325: Financial Management (done, 3 credits)
18 UL remaining.

12 credits taken, 18 minimum credits at UMPI remaining. (for the 30 minimum credits requirement)
[-] The following 1 user Likes park0902's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-02-2021, 11:20 PM)park0902 Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 10:44 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @park0902 - so, to recap, again, decide which degree/school will fit your plans/schedule most.  

@ss20ts @bjcheung77 I'd appreciate the suggestions for faster classes outside of UMPI. I've taken TEEX Death Investigation and will try to transfer it to UMPI for UL electives. I think it's really tricky to transfer outside credits to UMPI. I don't know if I have to take all of the 18 remaining UL at UMPI or I can transfer from outside sources. Maybe I can take alternative minor classes from outside sources but I don't know where (like study.com?) to get it and which ones are the equivalent courses at UMPI. I'd switch my minor to MIS if I continue with UMPI because it'd be the fastest minor for me as you guys suggest, and this is the course list I plan to do:
Minor:
BUS 141: Introduction to Project Management with Microsoft Projects (done, 3 credits)
BUS 244: Management Information Systems (done, 3 credits)
24 UL credits elective:
BUS 321: Human Resource Management (done, 3 credits)
BUS 325: Financial Management (done, 3 credits)
18 UL remaining.

12 credits taken, 18 minimum credits at UMPI remaining. (for the 30 minimum credits requirement)

Many of us have transferred credits to UMPI and graduated. It's not tricky at all. 

What classes does your degree evaluation show that you still need to complete? 

Sophia's Project Management transfers for BUS141. I wouldn't take BUS345 or BUS440 outside of UMPI because you need the UL courses. BUS200 and BUS245 don't have an equivalent on Sophia or Study.com.

I don't see TEEX on the transfer equivalencies website. Someone may have transferred it in and the website hasn't been updated yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • park0902
(08-03-2021, 11:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Many of us have transferred credits to UMPI and graduated. It's not tricky at all. 

What classes does your degree evaluation show that you still need to complete? 

Sophia's Project Management transfers for BUS141. I wouldn't take BUS345 or BUS440 outside of UMPI because you need the UL courses. BUS200 and BUS245 don't have an equivalent on Sophia or Study.com.

I don't see TEEX on the transfer equivalencies website. Someone may have transferred it in and the website hasn't been updated yet.

I see, thanks. I have those classes left:
6 more electives UL classes that I haven't decided which one I would take. So you're saying BUS 345 and BUS 440 counting towards the 24 UL electives?? I'm confused. I thought I have to take 24 UL credits beyond those 6 minor classes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes park0902's post:
  • Pikachu
Yes BUS345 and BUS440 will count towards your UL credits. They are UL courses. Keep in mind that most of your UL courses will need to be completed at UMPI. You can take a few on Study.com and transfer them in. You've completed the GEC and general electives?

https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • park0902, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 810 1 hour ago
Last Post: thomasfrank
Question Transfer credit question Educated Wombat 0 19 1 hour ago
Last Post: Educated Wombat
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 91,480 4 hours ago
Last Post: psychcs
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 15 640 Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 4 448 Yesterday, 02:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 696 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UMPI English Composition I Old Guy 4 223 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: RJ77
Information UMPI Cost Increase to $1700 Per 8 Week Session Ares 0 216 09-14-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Credit evaluation prior to enrollment Chimera 2 109 09-14-2024, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NEW UMPI UNDERGRADS -- USE THE DRAFTS ashkir 35 18,543 09-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: DavidGood