Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Journey - TESU BA Computer Science
(12-06-2018, 04:41 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @Ideas are you serious!? When was that!? So far everything I asked for was denied.

Whats wrong with C++!? If you dont like C++ then you cant do data structures from TESU because its in C++. You may have no choice but to wait for SDC.

I'll email them again and ask about the C++ filling that requirement.

Hoe can somelike take a CS degree and not like C++!? It gets you so close to the machine and you learn so much! I prefer C and C++ over everything else. Ever used Ruby and C++ inline!? Its like you can do anything!!

I took and passed both database management and system analysis and design. Actually Database Management is much easier than the System Analysis and Design from SDC because the course is structured better and  has a better final assginment. SQL is very very easy. Dont worry about it.

@MNomadic I do enquire with them you know! It just that everything I asked so far got denied and they give some conflicting info sometimes.

Not sure when. Pretty sure the advisor had to ask the dean. Some advisors might just say no without asking the dean.

Well I'm focused on doing the other theory courses (architecture, etc) and the minimum programming for now, but as you said I'll need some for Data Structures.

Thanks, I'll look at Database Management.

(12-06-2018, 09:36 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Since you're already planning to wait for SDC data structures, you might be interested to see they're working on a python course as well:
https://study.com/academy/course/compute...ython.html

Smile

I think anyone who needs it soon should try to PLA Data Structures through LearningCounts with the partner discount. I would do an MOOC or two as part of the portfolio.

I might have been wrong on SL C++. I'm not sure I can find that out because I was asking about multiple things at once.

Armstrongsubero, I thought you could do OnlineDegree for Intro Programming? If not, that seems easy to PLA.

(12-06-2018, 01:07 PM)Ideas Wrote: I think anyone who needs it soon should try to PLA Data Structures through LearningCounts with the partner discount. 

Interesting, care to elaborate on the partner discount?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
@Ideas I would love to do OD course, but I cant casue I'm not a US citiizen.

So you didn't get the SL course approved?
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-06-2018, 03:24 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @Ideas I would love to do OD course, but I cant casue I'm not a US citiizen.

So you didn't get the SL course approved?

I don't know Sad I wrote with them about 10 months ago, maybe more.

(12-06-2018, 01:29 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 01:07 PM)Ideas Wrote: I think anyone who needs it soon should try to PLA Data Structures through LearningCounts with the partner discount. 

Interesting, care to elaborate on the partner discount?

It's something sanantone found last year. https://learningcounts.org/sreb/time-and-cost

Their main page hasn't been updated with new scheduled dates, but it might still be available. The cheaper option is self-paced.

I didn't see anyone post about submitting a portfolio there.

Interesting. Thanks! I'll keep them in mind though I don't have any plans to PLA anything.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
@Ideas hmmm well now we confirmed that a programming language cant fulfil that requiment az of now. I may do that course at Clovis.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-06-2018, 04:41 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Whats wrong with C++!? If you dont like C++ then you cant do data structures from TESU because its in C++. You may have no choice but to wait for SDC.

I'll email them again and ask about the C++ filling that requirement.

I think if I did Java instead, I'd use that more. What do you think? Mostly interested in something I'd use for website dev. It would also be nice to know some Data Analytics (that's why I am most interested in Python) and more related to information science. Maybe AI.

I'm avoiding Data Structure at TESU because of cost. I'm thinking of taking Intro Java at DeAnza or Foothill soon, then Data Structures there which only needs Java knowledge. 

(Unfortunately they are over $900 for international students, but they are on the quarter system so they have more start dates.) I think you could do Oakton for $600.

You may want to see about NMJC's Fundamentals of Programming instead of Clovis because they're cheaper on tuition, and I think cheaper on fees too.

@Ideas

Well if you're going to be doing web dev then yeah java is good, a lot of work in industry with maintainence of java web frameworks (spring boot etc) so it cant be a good choice. The algorithms and data structures in a high level language like Java also translate well if you jave a coding interview in JS, Ruby or Python.

If you're going into AI from a business perspective python is the way to to since you'll be using libraries (tensor, openai gym, caffe etc)

I on the other hand am more into robotics and embedded systems so C and C++ will profit me greatly, though I see ROS and OpenCV with python bindings. It is nice to code from your motor enocoders to your algorithms for SLAM or grid cells using basically a language and its subset.

For the more hardcore CS types C++ is better since it teaches you a lot about the hardware and if you're more into building high performance libraries rather than using them its the way to go.

If you're going to be doing freelance web work it doesnt matter, cause you can just import X, Y, Z algorithm in Ruby, PHP or Python. And these days with Cake, Rails and Django its even easier. Especially rails, its so easy it seems like cheating! Lol.

So yeah, you cant go wrong with Java since web devs dont use the memory managment stuff you'll learn in a C++ course.

You are right to be interested in Python. If you just want to learn concepts you can use python for literally everything, web dev (flask, django), robotics (ros, opencv), embedded (circuit python) bioimformatics, data science, AI the list goes on and on!

Python is a fun way to satisfy your CS curiosity, especially if you dont like coding and just want a more functional abstracted view. Just import and go in a few lines of code.

Hmm Oakton seems good, I'll check them out for data structures.

I was thinking of AMU for intro to programming. It is $810 but its only 8 weeks, so I may be able to meet June graduation.

Isnt oakton data structures cheaper?

What are the start dates? At this point I'm aiming for June graduation so it would be nice if I had an end date in April!

Ouch that NMJC course ends in August!
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(12-09-2018, 10:18 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Hmm Oakton seems good, I'll check them out for data structures.

I was thinking of AMU for intro to programming. It is $810 but its only 8 weeks, so I may be able to meet June graduation.

Isnt oakton data structures cheaper?

What are the start dates? At this point I'm aiming for June graduation so it would be nice if I had an end date in April!

Ouch that NMJC course ends in August!

Thanks for all that info! 

I'm liking Python a lot so far.

I see an NMJC course from mid Jan to early May.

Oakton should be $544 tuition + $50 fee for online classes + $50 application for international + some other fees. Oakton's main page says they have classes starting Jan 22. I think it doesn't end until May.

NMJC's end date would probably let you graduate in June.

For anyone else who is following, I looked into Foothill and DeAnza more, and it seems hard to get into those classes Sad The wait lists are full or mostly full too. My plan is to PLA unless Study.com comes through when I'm ready. I think I can wait until at least June.

Athabasca has some online classes for data structures but it's not cheap,but I think are on demand or self paced.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Biology Bachelor kakasahib 1 45 4 hours ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Any reason not to drop BSBA CIS from the old TESU catalog? jazzcat 2 128 09-24-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Dual CS/CIS Degree Help! comatose95 13 371 09-24-2024, 10:15 AM
  Google Cloud Data Analytics- UL credits for TESU charfife 10 869 09-24-2024, 01:12 AM
Last Post: jazzcat
  TESU BA Psych experimental psychology requirement wow 7 271 09-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU computer science and information systems are the same degree Chann 9 696 09-19-2024, 10:29 AM
  Does TESU take Saylor Software Engineering as UL or LL? Jwheels27 7 523 09-18-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Chann
  TESU Evaluation Chann 2 244 09-18-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Chann
  Pausing Enrollment at TESU bradonomics 6 305 09-18-2024, 01:09 AM
  2024 TESU Commencement - October 5th jch 1 367 09-12-2024, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Vin