Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Journey - TESU BA Computer Science
I think I'm going to work on the BA CompSci slowly. Maybe not graduate in 2019.

My remaining electives should be easy and quick for me to test out of.

It seems that now it's simpler to do Discrete Math, Operating Systems, and Computer Architecture!

So I would I only need:
3cr Intro Programming
3cr Data Structures
3cr Capstone

I'm hesitant to do SL C++ to meet Intro Programming. Especially since many schools seem to want programming as a prerequisite for data structures, and many schools won't take the SL credit.

- I'm thinking of trying PLA for both of those, not directly through TESU. I guess I have to ask TESU for approval for the course I would PLA.
- There is a community college course that I was thinking of. I might ask TESU if it could count in Intro Programming.
- Since I'm not in a hurry, Study.com may have Data Structures for credit before my Capstone, or after.

(12-05-2018, 04:32 PM)Ideas Wrote: I think I'm going to work on the BA CompSci slowly. Maybe not graduate in 2019.

My remaining electives should be easy and quick for me to test out of.

It seems that now it's simpler to do Discrete Math, Operating Systems, and Computer Architecture!

So I would I only need:
3cr Intro Programming
3cr Data Structures
3cr Capstone

I'm hesitant to do SL C++ to meet Intro Programming. Especially since many schools seem to want programming as a prerequisite for data structures, and many schools won't take the SL credit.

- I'm thinking of trying PLA for both of those, not directly through TESU. I guess I have to ask TESU for approval for the course I would PLA.
- There is a community college course that I was thinking of. I might ask TESU if it could count in Intro Programming.
- Since I'm not in a hurry, Study.com may have Data Structures for credit before my Capstone, or after.

The SL course does not satisfy the intro to programming requirement, the OD course does however.

I already did Discrete Math, Operating Systems and Computer Architecture, so they are doable.

Did you find a good course for data structures? I may have to do into to programming and data structures through TESU.

Do you like programming? What do you plan to do with that comp sci degree?
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-05-2018, 09:08 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote:  
The SL course does not satisfy the intro to programming requirement, the OD course does however.

I already did Discrete Math, Operating Systems and Computer Architecture, so they are doable.

Did you find a good course for data structures? I may have to do into to programming and data structures through TESU.

Do you like programming? What do you plan to do with that comp sci degree?

I got special approval to allow SL C++ to fulfill Intro Programming. However, I would rather avoid C++ at this point.

Thank you! That's great about OD.

Data structures is available at some online community colleges. I think DeAnza and/or Foothill has it, and I saw it elsewhere too. I don't recall where. All that I found have prerequisites, and they don't take ACE. It seems like most of them would be reasonable, however, about giving exceptions. I think you would just have to tell the instructor or department head that you had experience.

Well if I don't learn much more, and build upon this degree, I guess I would only use it for teaching lower level classes and writing. I think that it would also help me get more initial interviews for some other work I might pursue - work which definitely does not require a CS degree, but I think it looks great. I certainly don't need this degree, but I want it.

(12-05-2018, 10:48 PM)Ideas Wrote:

I got special approval to allow SL C++ to fulfill Intro Programming.

Nice!

Seems like they can be reasonably flexible if you take the time inquire with them.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
So the plan is:
- Saylor courses that are pre-planned into my degree, so they will hopefully give me credit due to the pre-approval
- OnlineDegree Intro Programming
- Study.com Intro Operating Systems
- Study.com Discrete Math
- Study.com Computer Architecture
- one more Study.com (Systems Analysis and Design?)
- wait until Study.com Data Structures can be taken for credit, since I'll be busy with English courses too
- Capstone

I have some MySQL experience, but I think Systems Analysis seems easier for me than Database Management? The harder OS course seems hard.)

@Ideas are you serious!? When was that!? So far everything I asked for was denied.

Whats wrong with C++!? If you dont like C++ then you cant do data structures from TESU because its in C++. You may have no choice but to wait for SDC.

I'll email them again and ask about the C++ filling that requirement.

Hoe can somelike take a CS degree and not like C++!? It gets you so close to the machine and you learn so much! I prefer C and C++ over everything else. Ever used Ruby and C++ inline!? Its like you can do anything!!

I took and passed both database management and system analysis and design. Actually Database Management is much easier than the System Analysis and Design from SDC because the course is structured better and has a better final assginment. SQL is very very easy. Dont worry about it.

@MNomadic I do enquire with them you know! It just that everything I asked so far got denied and they give some conflicting info sometimes.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-05-2018, 10:59 PM)Ideas Wrote: So the plan is:
- Saylor courses that are pre-planned into my degree, so they will hopefully give me credit due to the pre-approval
- OnlineDegree Intro Programming
- Study.com Intro Operating Systems
- Study.com Discrete Math
- Study.com Computer Architecture
- one more Study.com (Systems Analysis and Design?)
- wait until Study.com Data Structures can be taken for credit, since I'll be busy with English courses too
- Capstone

I have some MySQL experience, but I think Systems Analysis seems easier for me than Database Management? The harder OS course seems hard.)

Since you're already planning to wait for SDC data structures, you might be interested to see they're working on a python course as well:
https://study.com/academy/course/compute...ython.html
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(12-05-2018, 10:52 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 10:48 PM)Ideas Wrote:

I got special approval to allow SL C++ to fulfill Intro Programming.

Nice!

Seems like they can be reasonably flexible if you take the time inquire with them.

@ Ideas @Nomadic here is what the advising told me, I asked again on seversl SDC courses and about the SL course.

@Ideas you sure they allowed you to use C++ instead? Why not me? Here is what I was told:

Thank you for the inquiry. Unfortunately, neither of the options you listed will work. The Study.com course is not a course that transfers at all. You can see all the Study.com courses that transfer here >> https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab. The Straighterline course would transfer as COS-213, but the Dean's office will not allow that to fulfill Intro to Programming. Thank you.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

Armstrong, I would recommend just taking the courses you want to take for programming and then transfer it to TESU. When the time comes, ask nicely to have it moved around. If it doesn't go directly into that exclusive slot, you have another option, Luna has it for cheap, I would recommend taking it at Luna College.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
@bjcheung77 that course finshes in May. I really wanted to graduate in June. Okay I will email them and ask what is the cost and if I can enroll. Thanks.

Hmm I see Luna's accredation from HLC seal on their website has 'Accredation on Probation'. Ohh Luna is on 'show cause' status.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Biology Bachelor kakasahib 1 45 2 hours ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Any reason not to drop BSBA CIS from the old TESU catalog? jazzcat 2 125 09-24-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Dual CS/CIS Degree Help! comatose95 13 371 09-24-2024, 10:15 AM
  Google Cloud Data Analytics- UL credits for TESU charfife 10 869 09-24-2024, 01:12 AM
Last Post: jazzcat
  TESU BA Psych experimental psychology requirement wow 7 270 09-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU computer science and information systems are the same degree Chann 9 695 09-19-2024, 10:29 AM
  Does TESU take Saylor Software Engineering as UL or LL? Jwheels27 7 523 09-18-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Chann
  TESU Evaluation Chann 2 243 09-18-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Chann
  Pausing Enrollment at TESU bradonomics 6 301 09-18-2024, 01:09 AM
  2024 TESU Commencement - October 5th jch 1 366 09-12-2024, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Vin