Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Journey - TESU BA Computer Science
That much for the BSBA-CIS? I thought it would be only 18 credits of CIS/COS/CAP?

I'm still hesitant to start the SL C++ course.

I took one CSU-Global exam (finance) and found it to be a lot easier than the finance TECEPs.

The ASNSM-CS got a lot easier this year and I think you might already have enough for it, or only need one cheaper easier course. If you are in the newer catalog for it. So that could make your decision easy.

PLA doesn't seem straightfoward to me. But I guess for someone with lots of experience it could Smile

(03-12-2018, 07:03 PM)Ideas Wrote: That much for the BSBA-CIS? I thought it would be only 18 credits of CIS/COS/CAP?

I'm still hesitant to start the SL C++ course.

I took one CSU-Global exam (finance) and found it to be a lot easier than the finance TECEPs.

The ASNSM-CS got a lot easier this year and I think you might already have enough for it, or only need one cheaper easier course. If you are in the newer catalog for it. So that could make your decision easy.

PLA doesn't seem straightfoward to me. But I guess for someone with lots of experience it could Smile

Yeah the CIS AOS requires 18 cr (with 12 UL) like most AOS, but has some specific requirements:

3 cr - Programming Language (SL C++ works) - should be easy (and 4 cr I believe)
3 cr - Information Systems Analysis & Design (CSU-Global CBE or PLA) - ??

The balance of 12cr appears to include most CIS/COS/CAP elective courses, so all the stuff taken for the ASNSM-CS should fit here as long as I have at least 9 UL from the electives (since Info Systems Design should be UL.)

I only need to take 2 more CS related courses to get the ASNSM-CS. Once I finish the rest of my GenEd's of course. I'm tempted to get that first while I finish the rest of the BSBA. Would give me an excuse to pay the residency waiver before the end of June. Wink
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I'd recommend the CSU-Global CBE. But PLA can be done cheaper through LearningCounts so that's an option. It's still more than the CBE.

Oh that seems like a good idea to get that first Smile

As I posted elsewhere, and added to my signature, I'm really considering WGU's new BS in CompSci instead of TESU. In small part, because TESU is bothering me with their inconsistency of information, and so I'm not sure I can get the Writing/Comm additional (dual) major that I want without a lot of hassle.

Another reason is that I was counting on completing 9 credits at DeAnza/Foothill, and yesterday I learned that out-of-state is now somewhere around $280/credit when you include all the other fees. It had been around $70/credit.

But, I might wait until WGU's program got additional accreditation. I believe someone else mentioned that they were applying for programmatic accreditation. As I posted in the WGU thread, you have to do 2 semesters of Discrete Math and 2 of Data Structures. I don't like that, but otherwise the program has so many pluses.

There's a good chance I won't do the BA-CS, but will do the WGU degree someday instead... or, give up on CS and do something IS/IT at the grad level.

However, just to mention once more, CS has been a bucket list item for me for a while. Personally I feel a Bachelor's in CompSci is more respectable than most grad level IT/CIS/etc.

I think I'm going to proceed with studying and completing the Saylor Software Engineering credit. Maybe DSST Cybersecurity, just to get 1 more UL credit.

OK, since there has been time to digest the new BACS requirements, what's the verdict on the best place to knock out the following:

-Discrete Mathematics
-Operating Systems
-Computer Architecture-
-Data Structures

Yes, TESU has them all, but are there better options?
Discrete Mathematics can be had at ESC for $333/credit: http://www8.esc.edu/admin/esc/cdl/cdlcat...endocument It's a 4 credit course. That makes it a little more expensive than TESU's 3-credit course if you have the Study.com waiver. No idea if it's better or worse, but it is another option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Yenisei
Good suggestion- I've taken a math course with ESC and am comfortable taking more courses with them.

EDIT: Looks like UND has it for 3 semester hours * $290.
APU has Discrete Math.
http://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/resourc...se/math210
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Has anyone taken math courses at APU, especially beyond calculus?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Biology Bachelor kakasahib 1 45 2 hours ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Any reason not to drop BSBA CIS from the old TESU catalog? jazzcat 2 125 09-24-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Dual CS/CIS Degree Help! comatose95 13 371 09-24-2024, 10:15 AM
  Google Cloud Data Analytics- UL credits for TESU charfife 10 869 09-24-2024, 01:12 AM
Last Post: jazzcat
  TESU BA Psych experimental psychology requirement wow 7 270 09-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU computer science and information systems are the same degree Chann 9 695 09-19-2024, 10:29 AM
  Does TESU take Saylor Software Engineering as UL or LL? Jwheels27 7 523 09-18-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Chann
  TESU Evaluation Chann 2 244 09-18-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Chann
  Pausing Enrollment at TESU bradonomics 6 301 09-18-2024, 01:09 AM
  2024 TESU Commencement - October 5th jch 1 366 09-12-2024, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Vin