Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most efficient way for a bachelors in Computer Science?
Im looking to pursue a career in CS hoping to get into software, as its a very big deal where I live.

I did some reading through the forum and it looks like alot of people do the courses on Sophia and transfer to the big 3... I was looking at WGU specifically as im more familiar with them.

Here are some questions:
1. I have no credits whatsoever, only have a GED. How long would it take someone to get a degree from a method like this? Could it be done in less than a year if you dont have an associates?
2. I was reading there was a way to get real experience and courses online as well?
@kowenboy, Welcome to the board... That's short and simple, but not concise with enough details.  It's great you're asking questions as well, but you're not providing enough details for us to go by.  

It's similar to asking us to complete the puzzle for you without the entire puzzle set.  You need to complete the template/addendum here with much more info: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

To answer your questions. It would take you at least 6-12 months, even if you don't have an associates degree.  You will get the certs, degree, experience, as I usually recommend people to work on that trifecta.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
WGU is extremely tricky if you don't already have field experience with computer programming/computer science topics. If you're not already working in the field, I wouldn't pin your hopes on being able to get a WGU Comp Sci degree in under a year. On the other hand, it is definitely possible for the TESU Comp Sci degree to be completed in approximately that time from scratch.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
When you say "its a very big deal where I live," that leaves me wondering if you live in the US - because you can only do WGU if you live in the US or are a US citizen or...something of that nature, I can't remember exactly what the rules are. But, if you're a foreign student, you can count WGU out. If you are going from 0-120 credits, you could conceivably get a WGU degree in a year...but probably only if you have lots of experience in the field and would be able to do all of the courses you need very quickly. Since you did not say that you have a bunch of experience or already have multiple certifications, I'm going to assume that you're starting without any of that, and so it would probably take you closer to 1 1/2-2 years to complete that degree (I actually know someone who did it out of high school with zero credits, and did the entire degree at WGU in 6 terms for ~$18k). WGU is only a good option if you can go FAST.

TESU is probably the best option for someone without any credit. You can do 117cr via alternative course providers (with 27cr of RA in there), and just do the capstone at TESU. Or you can do a FT/FR 15cr term at TESU, and then do 105cr via alt-courses/RA credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-01-2023, 11:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @kowenboy, Welcome to the board... That's short and simple, but not concise with enough details.  It's great you're asking questions as well, but you're not providing enough details for us to go by.  

It's similar to asking us to complete the puzzle for you without the entire puzzle set.  You need to complete the template/addendum here with much more info: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

To answer your questions. It would take you at least 6-12 months, even if you don't have an associates degree.  You will get the certs, degree, experience, as I usually recommend people to work on that trifecta.
Degree choice: Comp Science
Credits: 0
Budget: 15k
Commitments: None
Time to study: 25 hours a week
Timeline: ASAP hopefully under 2 years
Tuition assistance: My job (amazon) provides alot of college benefits
Experience: None
Amazon covers at least part of the cost of attending SNHU, which would be great for your needs. Except it would likely take 1.5-2 years to complete. SNHU requires at least 30 credits to be taken through them and those cannot be speeded up at all. With a maximum of 2 classes at a time, it takes 1-1.5 years just to finish those 30 credits.

However, Amazon Career Choice also covers TESU! See this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...eer-Choice

Using your budget and Career Choice, you could finish a TESU Comp Sci degree in about a year (possibly less if you really push yourself).

You will need at least 30 university credits in order to get a TESU degree. Because of the Career Choice discount and your tuition reimbursement, I'm going to suggest something that isn't often suggested: just take most of the credits at TESU. Here is what I would do...

1. Apply to TESU ASAP.
2. Sign up for 3 or 4 easy-looking gen ed courses ASAP using Career Choice. (look for the Zero Textbook Cost options https://www2.tesu.edu/listall.php )Possibly one of the classes should be English Comp, but that's up to you. Definitely do the cornerstone, SOS-1100. 3 classes of 3 credits each x $350/credit for Career Choice = $3150. 4 classes x 3 credits = $4200. This is under your tuition reimbursement for the year, so your studies will be free.
3. Complete recommended Sophia, Study.com, etc. classes to fill out most of the rest of your degree. You may be able to do this while you're working on the TESU classes above, but don't overextend yourself!
4. Complete 2 or 3 ASU Universal Learner classes for another 6 or 9 credits. $425 each for these classes. Don't bother attempting tuition reimbursement for these. Between the credits from step 2 and the ASU credits, you should have at least 18 or 21 credits. These can almost certainly be done simultaneously with SDC/Sophia.
5. As soon as you're eligible for full tuition reimbursement at TESU again and you have at least 100 credits toward your degree, sign up for another 9 or 12 credits at TESU. This will include the capstone and either Software Engineering or Artificial Intelligence (or both). You'll need to ensure that you have 30+ RA credits once you're done with this.
6. Graduate!

In about 12 months, this will net you a Comp Sci degree for probably less than $2k out of pocket.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
Actually, since you're at such a young age, starting from scratch, and you have tuition assistance... By doing exactly 4 more courses, you can get the BACS and BSBA CIS double degree practically for free by following the degree plan here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
(08-03-2023, 01:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Amazon covers at least part of the cost of attending SNHU, which would be great for your needs. Except it would likely take 1.5-2 years to complete. SNHU requires at least 30 credits to be taken through them and those cannot be speeded up at all. With a maximum of 2 classes at a time, it takes 1-1.5 years just to finish those 30 credits.

SNHU does 8-week terms, 6 per year, so you can do 30cr in 5 terms, which is 40 weeks.  You can definitely finish in less than a year there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-03-2023, 01:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Amazon covers at least part of the cost of attending SNHU, which would be great for your needs. Except it would likely take 1.5-2 years to complete. SNHU requires at least 30 credits to be taken through them and those cannot be speeded up at all. With a maximum of 2 classes at a time, it takes 1-1.5 years just to finish those 30 credits.

However, Amazon Career Choice also covers TESU! See this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...eer-Choice

Using your budget and Career Choice, you could finish a TESU Comp Sci degree in about a year (possibly less if you really push yourself).

You will need at least 30 university credits in order to get a TESU degree. Because of the Career Choice discount and your tuition reimbursement, I'm going to suggest something that isn't often suggested: just take most of the credits at TESU. Here is what I would do...

1. Apply to TESU ASAP.
2. Sign up for 3 or 4 easy-looking gen ed courses ASAP using Career Choice. (look for the Zero Textbook Cost options https://www2.tesu.edu/listall.php )Possibly one of the classes should be English Comp, but that's up to you. Definitely do the cornerstone, SOS-1100. 3 classes of 3 credits each x $350/credit for Career Choice = $3150. 4 classes x 3 credits = $4200. This is under your tuition reimbursement for the year, so your studies will be free.
3. Complete recommended Sophia, Study.com, etc. classes to fill out most of the rest of your degree. You may be able to do this while you're working on the TESU classes above, but don't overextend yourself!
4. Complete 2 or 3 ASU Universal Learner classes for another 6 or 9 credits. $425 each for these classes. Don't bother attempting tuition reimbursement for these. Between the credits from step 2 and the ASU credits, you should have at least 18 or 21 credits. These can almost certainly be done simultaneously with SDC/Sophia.
5. As soon as you're eligible for full tuition reimbursement at TESU again and you have at least 100 credits toward your degree, sign up for another 9 or 12 credits at TESU. This will include the capstone and either Software Engineering or Artificial Intelligence (or both). You'll need to ensure that you have 30+ RA credits once you're done with this.
6. Graduate!

In about 12 months, this will net you a Comp Sci degree for probably less than $2k out of pocket.

Does all the TESU and ASU Universal Learner classes count for RA?
(08-17-2023, 09:58 PM)kowenboy Wrote: Does all the TESU and ASU Universal Learner classes count for RA?

Anything you take at an accredited community college/university regardless of it being an online course or exam, is RA, unless they're NA institution... Alternative credit providers are just that, course content/learning medium systems, they are not accredited in any means, they're just 'recommended for credit' by ACE/NCCRS or through an articulation agreement with the college/university.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 267 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan teadrinker000 16 633 09-01-2024, 09:37 AM
Big Grin Speedy and Inexpensive Bachelors ATM925 7 969 08-25-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: ATM925
  Computer Science Bachelor for a non-US resident michaela 10 644 08-23-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU BA in Computer Science, help with planning and advice Whiskazo 8 857 07-16-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Next Steps for Bachelors liz0814 8 834 07-12-2024, 12:24 PM
Question Help - Computer Science Degree Plan International Student JohnnyBazzinga 15 1,919 07-03-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: animuscerebri
  Health Science, AAS leaannrillorta@gmail.com 3 288 06-27-2024, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Assistance with Credit Transfer & Fast, Affordable & Efficient Degree Completion Plan PositiveSoul 9 727 06-24-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: PositiveSoul
  Canadian Looking For Bachelors sfilipe 7 612 06-11-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: sfilipe