Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Masters in Computer Science
(09-10-2022, 12:05 PM)Pats20 Wrote: This is one I’m considering.

https://ekuonline.eku.edu/lp/ekuonline-a...1662828552

Pros = reasonably priced $617 per credit
8 week course format
Mscs with a certificate in AI and data science
No application fee.
Fast process. Apply up to 2 weeks before courses begin.

That's a great find. I would seriously consider it. I don't know if the GT name really makes a difference. The experience there wasn't good. The TA's are far more interested in irrelevant things than helping students. I took an OMSCY course there as an elective, and one of the TA's was goofing off on Slack ALL day long every day chatting about silly personal things. When our team asked him a question, he would respond after a week. If the UT Austin MSCS Online was around back then, I would've gone for that instead.
Another professor said he had the right to inspect our hard drive when we gave up control of our laptop for proctored exams. He said if he finds anything illegal or anything he deemed questionable (eg pdf copies of technical books he thinks we didn't pay for), he had the right to report it to the Ethics department. See the irony? Anyway, Georgia is sort of a messed up state, so maybe privacy is not a priority there. It was an elective, so I dropped it like pronto.
Haha I don't know what professor said that, but it's a stupid thing to say as they have no access to your hard drive. All proctoring is done by third party Honorlock, which is similar to RPNow in that it's on demand and there is no live person proctoring, and nothing but screen recordings and associated webcam footage of any exam moments that were flagged for review are provided to GT faculty. I won't speak to the privacy practices of Honorlock itself, but on the GT side -- whatever insane professor was saying that was completely bluffing.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Pikachu
(09-11-2022, 10:10 PM)ifomonay Wrote:

8 week course format
No application fee.

That's a great find. I would seriously consider it. I don't know if the GT name really makes a difference. The experience there wasn't good. The TA's are far more interested in irrelevant things than helping students. I took an OMSCY course there as an elective, and one of the TA's was goofing off on Slack ALL day long every day chatting about silly personal things. When our team asked him a question, he would respond after a week. If the UT Austin MSCS Online was around back then, I would've gone for that instead.
Another professor said he had the right to inspect our hard drive when we gave up control of our laptop for proctored exams. He said if he finds anything illegal or anything he deemed questionable (eg pdf copies of technical books he thinks we didn't pay for), he had the right to report it to the Ethics department. See the irony? Anyway, Georgia is sort of a messed up state, so maybe privacy is not a priority there. It was an elective, so I dropped it like pronto.

Yes and also from what I take (tell me if I’m wrong )
9 credits from the mscs data science specialization can be applied to their online 8 week format aacsb mba program. So 2 masters in 17 courses for $32k

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

(09-12-2022, 06:42 AM)Pats20 Wrote:
(09-11-2022, 10:10 PM)ifomonay Wrote:

8 week course format
No application fee.

Yes and also from what I take (tell me if I’m wrong )
9 credits from the mscs data science specialization can be applied to their online 8 week format aacsb mba program. So 2 masters in 17 courses for $32k

https://ekuonline.eku.edu/business/mba/

Not that the $32k is a great price. But the 17 courses. 8 week format AACSB mba
If you can handle 2 courses per 8 week term you could complete both degrees in 2 years.

8 week course format
No application fee.
That's a really nice find. I just applied for the January cohort.

I did appt to the Georgia Tech masters a few years ago, but for analytics. Unfortunately I wasn't accepted, so I never applied to the CS one. I don't have a lot of people who can write letters of recommendation to different schools, unfortunately, that's always a snag with my graduate applications, so I gave up on GA Tech.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
NolaRice Wrote:That's a really nice find. I just applied for the January cohort.

I did appt to the Georgia Tech masters a few years ago, but for analytics. Unfortunately I wasn't accepted, so I never applied to the CS one. I don't have a lot of people who can write letters of recommendation to different schools, unfortunately, that's always a snag with my graduate applications, so I gave up on GA Tech.

You should also apply to other options such as U of Texas - Austin : https://www.edx.org/masters/online-maste...-utaustinx
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-14-2022, 04:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
NolaRice Wrote:That's a really nice find. I just applied for the January cohort.

You should also apply to other options such as U of Texas - Austin : https://www.edx.org/masters/online-maste...-utaustinx
I’ve applied to U of Texas! I was really bummed I wasn’t accepted to GA tech. It was a few years ago so maybe they had a lot more applicants than places. Thought I had a strong application.
----
(09-14-2022, 05:17 PM)NolaRice Wrote:

I’ve applied to U of Texas! I was really bummed I wasn’t accepted to GA tech. It was a few years ago so maybe they had a lot more applicants than places. Thought I had a strong application.

If your footer is correct, I think they stopped accepting degrees unrelated to CS coursework or need to demonstrate prior CS experience since the dropout rate for non cs degrees was very high during their pilot period.
TESU - BA CS
inf Wrote:If your footer is correct, I think they stopped accepting degrees unrelated to CS coursework or need to demonstrate prior CS experience since the dropout rate for non cs degrees was very high during their pilot period.

I'm not sure how strong an application the footer is, but having an AS Math, BALS Psych Concentration, and a BA Comp Science is a pretty good start already, as the BA Comp Sci laddering to a GT MS Comp Sci is pretty optimal. I would see what other "additions" not just academic can be added to your application to make it stronger...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-15-2022, 10:37 AM)inf Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 05:17 PM)NolaRice Wrote:

If your footer is correct, I think they stopped accepting degrees unrelated to CS coursework or need to demonstrate prior CS experience since the dropout rate for non cs degrees was very high during their pilot period.
Ah, I applied to the analytics program at GA Tech a few years back. That's the one I got rejected from, not the CS one. The analytics degree was in its first or second year I think and there were tons of applicants.
----
(09-04-2022, 10:32 PM)jsd Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 10:20 PM)ifomonay Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 07:37 PM)jsd Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 03:53 PM)ifomonay Wrote: Georgia Tech's OMSCS program does not require an undergraduate CS degree.

They require a CS degree or equivalent background. Their program is not at all friendly to those who do not have a strong background.

From where did you get that information? I was in the program. 50% of the entering students cannot write a single line of code. In one of the AI courses I took there, we had a group of 5. Only two of us knew how to code. Your experience there may have been different.

I graduated the OMS Cybersecurity program and am also currently an Instructional Associate at Georgia Tech for a few years now (and have been for multiple courses over the years) where the majority of students are OMSCS. The attrition is through the roof particularly for the few admitted without a CS background. I work with multiple professors and admissions folks where this information is regularly discussed and addressed, including ongoing changes in admissions standards where our input is specifically accounted for.

Your point that my "experience there may have been different" is a very true statement, it seems, but not for the purposes you intended.

Hello jsd,

I am new here and noticed that you are part of the Online program at Georgia Tech. I hope you don't mind me asking about this.

My daughter is 17 and will finish her Bachelor of Science in Computer Science at the University of the People next month. She has more than 100 credits finished at a local Technical College and the University of Cincinnati.

One of her paths we have considered is for her to apply to Georgia Tech in regards to https://www.edx.org/masters/online-maste...orgia-tech

Could you take a look at my thread at https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...IT-Focused and give any thoughts you might be able to share?

Thank you and everyone else here so much for the wonderful knowledge!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Augusta U Online - $7-8k Masters Degrees!!! Captainrekt000 24 2,134 10-24-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Courcelles
  European Center for Education in Business and Science (ECEBiS) Travis_CVUgrad 5 718 10-22-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  University of Michigan - Master of Applied Data Science Team Rocket 2 446 10-12-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  University of the Cumberlands - Masters in Data Science dleewo 0 204 10-09-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: dleewo
  MSc Data Science - University Of Colorado Boulder tuckerarabi786 11 3,208 10-04-2024, 05:45 PM
Last Post: spohara
  "ACCREDITED CHEAPEST MASTERS" in the WORLD. +Online Degree Geonho Lee 21 3,188 09-29-2024, 11:00 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 10 1,796 09-28-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 1,082 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  New Boston U MS Data Science $25K smartdegree 10 1,157 09-12-2024, 08:05 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Thoughts on LABASAD - Creative Online Masters - Escuela de Diseño Online magm 1 727 08-21-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Avidreader