Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for help with getting WGU CS credit before starting
(04-02-2022, 03:10 PM)muu9 Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 01:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Essentially, the 15+ credits you get from the state university, you can use towards the general education/electives area for both degrees.  You just then need 16+ credits at TESU to finish off both degrees, I suggest doing two terms at TESU and this will be a first flat rate term (required cornerstone plus 3 easy courses or e-packs) and the second would be for the two capstones.
If you want to see a sample template for a double degree, here's an old one, you can create your own and copy/paste the link from your onedrive or google drive so we can comment on it...  BALS/BSBA Double Degree using 5 TECEPS as of Jan 2021: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

By 2 terms you mean 2 12 week terms, right? The tuition for that would be at least $9278, wouldn't it?
I know you mentioned that most people can't complete a WGU degree in one semester, but this plan involves completing two TESU degrees in one semester. I suppose this would be more doable than WGU due to requiring only 16(?) credits vs WGU's 30. How many credits is a single capstone course?
Can you expand a bit on the reasoning behind adding 9 credits in seemingly unnecessary classes to the first semester?

$9278 would be the cost of two flat-rate terms (9 or more credits per term).
bjcheung77 suggested one flat-rate term and one per-credit term. Each capstone is 3 credits.
  • First term: Flat-rate of $4639
  • Second term: $519/credit * 6 credits = $3114
  • Total between the two terms: $7753
[/quote]

Would it be possible to complete the capstones and the cornerstone in one semester if we already have 30 RA credits and work ahead on our capstone projects?
(04-02-2022, 04:19 PM)muu9 Wrote: Would it be possible to complete the capstones and the cornerstone in one semester if we already have 30 RA credits and work ahead on our capstone projects?

Yes, you can do the capstone/cornerstone in one term which is recommended. The capstone project is one paper on your choice of topic with assignments leading up to the paper.

Both TESU and WGU are good choices. 

TESU is cheaper if you do the flat-rate term for $4600. If you do 16 credits with TESU, you avoid paying the $3200 residency waiver fee. Getting an associate's degree with a bachelor's is free, all you do is apply for graduation for both degrees at the same time. 
https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees

WGU can be done in one term as you only have 8 classes to do with max credit transfer. (or 7 if you transfer in the certification for Business of IT) You can ask for an extension for time to complete the capstone if you have all other courses done by the end of the term. Doing WGU in one term requires putting 20hrs a week into your studies and getting through some of the hard courses in a reasonable amount of time, which some students can't do.

SNHU also has a computer science degree. It will likely take longer and cost more money to go there, but I thought I throw it out there.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-02-2022, 04:45 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 04:19 PM)muu9 Wrote: Would it be possible to complete the capstones and the cornerstone in one semester if we already have 30 RA credits and work ahead on our capstone projects?

Yes, you can do the capstone/cornerstone in one term which is recommended. The capstone project is one paper on your choice of topic with assignments leading up to the paper.

Both TESU and WGU are good choices. 

TESU is cheaper if you do the flat-rate term for $4600. If you do 16 credits with TESU, you avoid paying the $3200 residency waiver fee. Getting an associate's degree with a bachelor's is free, all you do is apply for graduation for both degrees at the same time. 
https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees

WGU can be done in one term as you only have 8 classes to do with max credit transfer. (or 7 if you transfer in the certification for Business of IT) You can ask for an extension for time to complete the capstone if you have all other courses done by the end of the term. Doing WGU in one term requires putting 20hrs a week into your studies and getting through some of the hard courses in a reasonable amount of time, which some students can't do.

SNHU also has a computer science degree. It will likely take longer and cost more money to go there, but I thought I throw it out there.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan

Now that makes things interesting...
One semester (6 months) of WGU is $3,920; one term (3 months) of TESU is $4,639.
WGU is only pass-fail and therefore I won't be able to list my GPA
TESU is not pass fail and therefore I'll be able to list a (hopefully) good GPA
TESU allows for a second bachelors without much more work.

Do you think I could do the capstones and cornerstone for two degrees in one 3 month term? I could probably put in 30-40 hours per week.
(04-02-2022, 05:33 PM)muu9 Wrote: Now that makes things interesting...
One semester (6 months) of WGU is $3,920; one term (3 months) of TESU is $4,639.

Do you think I could do the capstones and cornerstone for two degrees in one 3 month term? I could probably put in 30-40 hours per week.

Nobody here has yet done 2 capstones in one term but it is possible.  Each capstone is around 80hrs of work give or take 20hrs and the cornerstone is around 40 hours.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-02-2022, 05:55 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Nobody here has yet done 2 capstones in one term but it is possible.  Each capstone is around 80hrs of work give or take 20hrs and the cornerstone is around 40 hours.

Are the capstones assigned by TESU, or created by the student? If the capstone isn't completed in a given semester, does it roll over to the next semester or does the student fail the class and have that on their transcript?
(04-02-2022, 07:09 PM)muu9 Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 05:55 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Are the capstones assigned by TESU, or created by the student? If the capstone isn't completed in a given semester, does it roll over to the next semester or does the student fail the class and have that on their transcript?

Since it's a course, the capstone won't roll over, but you could request a course extension. You'll get a final grade (A to F) whether or not the capstone is "completed." You need a C or higher (or a Pass) in every AOS course (including the capstone) to graduate.

At least for the liberal arts capstone, you choose the topic.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
> WGU is only pass-fail and therefore I won't be able to list my GPA

not sure that's a big deal
lots of people have gotten into grad school with a bachelors from WGU
(04-02-2022, 07:28 PM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 07:09 PM)muu9 Wrote: Are the capstones assigned by TESU, or created by the student? If the capstone isn't completed in a given semester, does it roll over to the next semester or does the student fail the class and have that on their transcript?

Since it's a course, the capstone won't roll over, but you could request a course extension. You'll get a final grade (A to F) whether or not the capstone is "completed." You need a C or higher (or a Pass) in every AOS course (including the capstone) to graduate.

At least for the liberal arts capstone, you choose the topic.

Sounds good.

One more question: if I fail to list an institution when applying, will I be able to transfer credit from it later on? I ask because I had one university semester where I performed poorly on two science classes, and I'm currently doing much better at the science class in my current institution.

(04-02-2022, 01:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If you want to see a sample template for a double degree, here's an old one, you can create your own and copy/paste the link from your onedrive or google drive so we can comment on it...  BALS/BSBA Double Degree using 5 TECEPS as of Jan 2021: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Once I've done that, do you think I should make a new thread with a more appropriate title (TESU BA CS+Math feedback request)?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting school from scratch. 17 years in the construction industry with no degree elitewebmedia 12 621 08-21-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  College credit for EMT-Basic Certification Stonybeach 7 369 08-05-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Assistance with Credit Transfer & Fast, Affordable & Efficient Degree Completion Plan PositiveSoul 9 681 06-24-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: PositiveSoul
  Tired of being bad at math and looking to enroll in online math classes for credit xor 13 1,599 06-20-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Ivo Lah
  Adult starting from scratch Mom2my2 10 817 06-06-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Upper-level credit/BYU Independent Study alternatives clarissa23 10 787 05-24-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: evergreen
  Canadian 90 credit BA -> any 120 credit BA rarebird 4 573 05-07-2024, 01:59 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 3,339 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
Sad 53 Starting Fresh laknight 13 1,055 02-29-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 579 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson