Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is 7 months enough to study and pass these CLEP exams?
Yes, that was my point. Intro to...classes. Yes, that is probably more easier to test out of. I might go that route now with SOC 101. With the intro classes on can get the books, study them, take your own study quizzes, flash cards, etc. It's an intro course. But once you hit the higher course like Calculus, Astronomy, and higher Psych classes it might be better to just take a course. My point simply was, if one feels they need over a half of a year to study for one CLEP test, then maybe just take the course at a CC or other means. It's faster, and more opportunities exist for E/C if you struggle in class. And at least you'll have a face to face instructor you can talk too.

Someone that hasn’t taken Biology since high school might have a lot of trouble with college level biology and probably should just take the course
Yanji Wrote:For soft subjects like Intro to Psych or low-level business courses, I think CLEPs are the way to go. For more substantial exams like Calculus or Chemistry, I think you could get learn much more from a CC course with much less effort. I understand that people have busy lives, but sometimes the traditional way is the best way.
This is another case of "it depends on the individual." Biology and the other life sciences come easy to me, but I did take Pre-AP Biology in high school. I went through the Instantcert flashcards once and did well on the Biology CLEP. I took the final exam for Saylor's Microbiology course without studying and passed.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I also think you could get this done in 7 months but have spaced them out a little differently. Also allotted a bit more study time. If you are ready sooner sit the test, but my opinion is that it's best to be well prepared then to struggle, or possibly fail.

Month 1 - The easiest 3 exams on the list
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit (1 week)
Principles of Marketing (1-1.5 weeks)
Principles of Management (1-1.5 weeks)

Month 2
Biology (3-4 weeks) Allot enough time to digest the information as it is basically 1/2 of the Natual Sciences exam.

Month 3
Natural Sciences (3-4 weeks)

Month 4
Intro to Sociology (1 week)
Western Civilization I (2-3 weeks)

Month 5
US History I (2 weeks)
US History II (2 weeks)

Month 6
American Govt (2 weeks)
Social Science & History (1.5-2 weeks) SS&H exam is mostly History & Amer Govt but also includes a bit of West Civ, Economics, Sociology, Psychology & Anthropology.

Month 7
Humanities (3-4 weeks)

Good luck to you!!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I think your list is definitely doable. I passed the Biology, American Government, and US History 1 CLEPs in a 7 week period during the summer. I just took the US History 2 CLEP yesterday and studied for 3 days.
61 - American Government CLEP - May '14
64 - Biology CLEP - June '14
67 - US History I CLEP - July '14
60 - US History II CLEP - January '15

63 credits toward my degree so far!
Yanji Wrote:My view is that all CLEPs are essentially pretty easy (compared to an equivalent course final) but I think there's no way someone without at least a high school science background could pass Bio and Nat Sci in a month, let alone learn enough to lay a foundation for college Chem or UL Bio courses.

I studied for and passed both Bio and NS in 3 weeks (2 weeks for Bio and 1 week for NS). I just put down my rough study times, of course everyone will differ depending on their strengths and weaknesses. With the specific exam feedback and good study habits, this list is definitely doable. I also took all of these while working full time.
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
Yanji Wrote:For soft subjects like Intro to Psych or low-level business courses, I think CLEPs are the way to go. For more substantial exams like Calculus or Chemistry, I think you could get learn much more from a CC course with much less effort. I understand that people have busy lives, but sometimes the traditional way is the best way.

Thank you EVERYONE for your answers. I am not planning to clep chemistry and I plan on studying bio for a month. I am still even considering not clep ping biology. The thing is I had micro in my first and second year of nursing school (but not a micro "course") I also signed up for Excelsiors micro exam bought it (expired 7/14) and everything but never tested because I lost my job and my driving privileges(Last yr). I completed the outline and the practice tests with the recommended text.

Since i have a bio degree i actually do want to take it seriously and take a course. Is it stupid to take a clep and then take an online bio degree thru ocean over the summer? I'm still not gonna be driving until maybe march. I cant commit To taking A course at cc Right now with no reliable transportation

I have a lot of free time at my job to study and also 4 days off/wk. I don't want to take the Gen eds at a cc. I know I can pads them all I just wasn't sure how long I have to study
Thank you for your positive feedback ^_^
Woo!Great job! Thanks!
I will strongly consider your layout! (Or at least the time frames) I looked at the schedule at my cc and I can take 2 tests this month! The 26th and 29th. I'm thinking I will do principles of marketing and principles of management this month! Here is a my new plan:

JANUARY:
1/26 Principles of Mktg
1/29 Principles of Mgmt

FEBRUARY:
Analyzing & Int Lit 0 weeks
Intro to Sociology 1 week
Study Bio last 3 weeks

MARCH:
Biology 2 More weeks of study (5 weeks total)
Natural Sciences 2 weeks

APRIL:
US History I 1 week
US History II 1 week
American Govt 1 week
Social Science & History 1 week

MAY:
Western Civilization 2 weeks
Humanities 2 weeks

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN SUB HUMAN GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT FOR HUMANITIES & DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCH FOR SOCIOLOGY???? That would be awesome!!!! This is the plan Sunshine made and completed through Excelsior I don't know how to accurately substitute any course myself.
Thanks, what is DOD? Haha

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 166 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Large study of over 10,000 participants showed the top 5 careers for millionaires LevelUP 7 518 08-31-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  PMP practice quizzes or exams Kjnova 5 498 08-18-2024, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 393 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Decide your path of study... bjcheung77 2 266 07-25-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,881 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 516 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 854 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 476 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 1,143 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer