Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
InstantCertCredit - Spanish - ACE Changes
So, the alert system for InstentCert sucks way bad... I spent 3 months getting to the point where I could take the Spanish final... I ended up with a job task out of town and couldn't spend time on InstentCert. I returned today to discover I have been paying to save my place for the Spanish Final and it's no longer available for credit...

What kind of poop is that - no real warning about the status being reviewed, no idea that the time and money invested would be pissed away...

Only saving grace at this point is to file with the Credit card company to see what they can do...

Maybe some notice outside of just the website would have been nice - I might have been able to force the test as I scored 98% leading up to this...
Unfortunately, now the easiest/fastest Spanish is going to be the one on Sophia. Sad
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
That sucks. Did the ACE site list them as  expiring ? I know most of the time courses renew but I always get nervous when I’m coming up on a course expiring, and put it in gear if it’s possible to get er done by that date.
Yea, that's likely going to push my start date at UMPI too as getting it completed and approved at UMPI will likely take a month...

Just really unhappy about months of wasted Spanish work on IC, not receiving an email about the change while I was enrolled with the course complete and only the final left to take...

This type of garbage is why it has already taken 30 years to get back to school - the system keeps changing the requirements for new students as if the education of the students who met the timeline was of a different quality...
(07-20-2022, 09:18 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Unfortunately, now the easiest/fastest Spanish is going to be the one on Sophia. Sad

My eldest did that when filling electives at the end and said it wasn't bad.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(07-20-2022, 09:41 AM)Pats20 Wrote: That sucks. Did the ACE site list them as  expiring ? I know most of the time courses renew but I always get nervous when I’m coming up on a course expiring, and put it in gear if it’s possible to get er done by that date.

I honestly have never looked at the ACE website - Jessica my advisor at UMPI put together the list of courses for me back in April with a Sept. UMPI start date. I figured I would be good to go if I cleared the courses I needed by that timeline. I returned back from a work trip, figuring I would take the Finals for 2 courses at IC and the 2 courses on Study as I need to have no distractions (we stay in a shared house while traveling for work).
(07-20-2022, 09:41 AM)Pats20 Wrote: That sucks. Did the ACE site list them as  expiring ? I know most of the time courses renew but I always get nervous when I’m coming up on a course expiring, and put it in gear if it’s possible to get er done by that date.

It did. And InstantCert did put Spanish up for renewal. Unfortunately, for some reason, ACE decided that the Spanish course is only "vocational" and no longer worth LL credit.

Another possibility for Spanish could be the ACTFL reading exam. You might be able to get at least 3 credits that way, after studying on InstantCert.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(07-20-2022, 09:45 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 09:18 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Unfortunately, now the easiest/fastest Spanish is going to be the one on Sophia. Sad

My eldest did that when filling electives at the end and said it wasn't bad.

The IC class was the best option as it didn't require me to actually "speak" Spanish. My speech impediment is bad enough with English Wink

I realize I will need to figure something out, it's just another road block from the school system for people honestly trying to progress... 

The program didn't change, just the timing decides who was successful with getting credit for the course. Because it took me more time, I miss out and have to do the work again.
(07-20-2022, 10:01 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: The IC class was the best option as it didn't require me to actually "speak" Spanish. My speech impediment is bad enough with English Wink

I realize I will need to figure something out, it's just another road block from the school system for people honestly trying to progress... 

The program didn't change, just the timing decides who was successful with getting credit for the course. Because it took me more time, I miss out and have to do the work again.

In that case, study up for the ACTFL reading exam. Smile

I've heard good things about these books:

https://archive.org/details/pocopocoelementa00hallrich
https://archive.org/details/newfirstspanishb00jamerich and its sequel https://archive.org/details/secondspanishbo01brangoog
https://archive.org/details/allspanishmetho00avilgoog
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Cole22, Pikachu, ss20ts

Yes it was listed on ACE as expiring. All expiration dates are shown on the ACE website. It did get renewed but for vocational only.

(07-20-2022, 10:01 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: I realize I will need to figure something out, it's just another road block from the school system for people honestly trying to progress... 

If you have to travel often for work and cannot work on classes then UMPI may not be the best school for you. There is only 8 weeks to complete courses. There are no extensions. If you can't complete a course that you start in the session then you fail the course and will have to take it over. Just something to be aware of. I know people have asked for extensions to due to work and family issues and were denied.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 570 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Exclamation Bring Back Spanish - at least until the end of 2022 uncoolbilly 8 1,370 07-24-2022, 01:34 PM
Last Post: uncoolbilly
  Other options for Instantcert Spanish? IceSparkle 16 3,241 07-19-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: SevenSister
  IC - Spanish CCCC 13 3,089 04-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  InstantCert InstantCREDIT Spanish I Course Review OldManOfTheSea 29 7,668 03-01-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Spanish I on Credly evanmonast 2 1,125 01-31-2022, 02:54 PM
Last Post: evanmonast
  Typing Spanish Accents danyelln 8 1,685 01-12-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has anyone taken the Spanish course course? harrit 4 1,379 10-14-2021, 12:54 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Spanish CLEP in 3 months; Need a 50 Please Help! Question at bottom! therealgageb 8 3,249 10-20-2020, 07:33 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Instant Cert Spanish 1 acmh1211 3 1,804 07-28-2020, 11:33 PM
Last Post: acmh1211