Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
InstantCertCredit - Spanish - ACE Changes
My travel schedule is normally planned well in advance, I have already confirmed I can "skip" an 8 week session at UMPI do being scheduled to be in the UK most of Feb. next year. As long as I finish the course for the session I am enrolled I am good, and UMPI has been very upfront about this.

If I was made aware that the Spanish course was going to be up for ACE review by IC then I would have taken the steps required to complete the Final. I only need to be sure to take it and get enough points to get the credit... I only need to get a 50% on the test, I could of done that sitting on the toilet using my cell phone - but didn't think that was the "professional" thing to do Wink
(07-20-2022, 12:44 PM)uncoolbilly Wrote: My travel schedule is normally planned well in advance, I have already confirmed I can "skip" an 8 week session at UMPI do being scheduled to be in the UK most of Feb. next year. As long as I finish the course for the session I am enrolled I am good, and UMPI has been very upfront about this.

If I was made aware that the Spanish course was going to be up for ACE review by IC then I would have taken the steps required to complete the Final. I only need to be sure to take it and get enough points to get the credit... I only need to get a 50% on the test, I could of done that sitting on the toilet using my cell phone - but didn't think that was the "professional" thing to do Wink
Good call. The proctor thanks you. 
Big Grin

Jk. I know it sucks to lose all that time and energy. Best of luck.
(07-20-2022, 12:44 PM)uncoolbilly Wrote: My travel schedule is normally planned well in advance, I have already confirmed I can "skip" an 8 week session at UMPI do being scheduled to be in the UK most of Feb. next year. As long as I finish the course for the session I am enrolled I am good, and UMPI has been very upfront about this.

So sorry that happened to you.  That has happened to me a few times on my journey.  You feel like you are just moving along and all of a sudden there is a huge brick wall.  I get kind of mesmerized staring at the wall, but, each time, I finally realize if I'm going to get anywhere I better just take the detour that's been handed to me, and get on with it.  I know you'll make it!!
Both American Government and Spanish I was set for renewal. ACE didn't allow American Government to be renewed, and Spanish I was renewed but not for college credit.

There was no way to predict ACE was going to do this.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
I think it's up to the student to watch for the expiration dates. The providers have no idea what our schedules are like. They may also be anticipating that the courses will be renewed. Spanish was renewed but with a restriction and American Government wasn't renewed by ACE.
I've updated the title of the thread. I would review your other post I answered: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid372252

One more thing I didn't mention there, ACE/NCCRS providers don't really have control on what ACE/NCCRS does with their extensions, renewal or recommendations for credit changes. I've seen providers come and go because of these changes and some just don't get enough traction. I would not put fault on ICC and just get it done.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-20-2022, 04:53 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I think it's up to the student to watch for the expiration dates. The providers have no idea what our schedules are like. They may also be anticipating that the courses will be renewed. Spanish was renewed but with a restriction and American Government wasn't renewed by ACE.

hehehe... the sad part is you are serious. 

Your trying to sell me on the fact that IC didn't know their product was set for review?
That IC doesn't have any responsibility to notify paying customers via email that the product is up for review - or at least that the product wasn't approved?

They could easily run a report for who is enrolled and email them - all of this is available to them, even if it required a SQL query,

THIS IS A COLLEGE EDUCATION COMPANY - Schooling is one of the most important factors in future income, and income level has a direct relation on human safety. 
https://criminal-justice.iresearchnet.co...nt%20rates.

The colleges listed here have very low graduation rates with WGU being the highest that I discovered at 54%.

https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/

Providing the customer as much information as you can to be successful could cause the schools you are servicing to support your company - UMPI suggested classes that I could take on Study, IC and Sophia in an effort to allow me to afford to attend school. The failure of IC to notify me has put that whole thing in danger of happening. 

Why would college support a poorly run company that puts the success of their students at danger?

(07-21-2022, 02:32 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I've updated the title of the thread.  I would review your other post I answered: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid372252

One more thing I didn't mention there, ACE/NCCRS providers don't really have control on what ACE/NCCRS does with their extensions, renewal or recommendations for credit changes.  I've seen providers come and go because of these changes and some just don't get enough traction.  I would not put fault on ICC and just get it done.

So, you think...

ICC had no prior knowledge that the class was up for review?

ICC had no lead time to the class being removed?

ICC lacks the ability to email paying students enrolled in a course that is losing ACE approval?
[-] The following 1 user Likes uncoolbilly's post:
  • misskym
(07-21-2022, 08:09 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 04:53 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I think it's up to the student to watch for the expiration dates. The providers have no idea what our schedules are like. They may also be anticipating that the courses will be renewed. Spanish was renewed but with a restriction and American Government wasn't renewed by ACE.

hehehe... the sad part is you are serious. 

Your trying to sell me on the fact that IC didn't know their product was set for review?
That IC doesn't have any responsibility to notify paying customers via email that the product is up for review - or at least that the product wasn't approved?

They could easily run a report for who is enrolled and email them - all of this is available to them, even if it required a SQL query,

THIS IS A COLLEGE EDUCATION COMPANY - Schooling is one of the most important factors in future income, and income level has a direct relation on human safety. 
https://criminal-justice.iresearchnet.co...nt%20rates.

The colleges listed here have very low graduation rates with WGU being the highest that I discovered at 54%.

https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/

Providing the customer as much information as you can to be successful could cause the schools you are servicing to support your company - UMPI suggested classes that I could take on Study, IC and Sophia in an effort to allow me to afford to attend school. The failure of IC to notify me has put that whole thing in danger of happening. 

Why would college support a poorly run company that puts the success of their students at danger?

IC knew the courses were up for review but they have nothing to do with the review process and have no control over it. ACE typically extends the course, gives and extension to make changes, or simply denies the course. 

IC doesn't know anyone's schedule. They may have believed that the course would be renewed as courses usually are. Students have an obligation to be aware of expiration dates and get courses done quickly. We say all the time to get courses done quickly because of changes. There are so many changes that happen. IC is actually going to stop offering ACE courses. I can imagine when Schmoop disappeared how many credits people lost out on because they had a ton of classes and were extremely popular.
I think that ICC could have told students that the course was up for renewal, and reminded everyone of the deadline, just in case. I think they know when something won't get renewed ahead of time (at least that's my understanding).

Schools have zero incentive to help you get courses outside of their schools, so I'm not sure why you're taking that one on.

But overall, I'm just going to say that when you are DIY'ing a degree and trying to get it as cheaply as possible, it is up to YOU to keep track of important things like deadlines. If you can't look at deadlines for these courses when you're planning on how quickly you are going to be able to pass, then you're probably not paying enough attention.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-21-2022, 06:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think that ICC could have told students that the course was up for renewal, and reminded everyone of the deadline, just in case.  I think they know when something won't get renewed ahead of time (at least that's my understanding).

Do Study, Sophia, or StraighterLine send out notifications when courses are up for renewal? I've never received anything from Sophia about courses renewing or expiration dates. They don't even email me with new courses even though I was a subscriber for like 6 months.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 1,125 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Exclamation Bring Back Spanish - at least until the end of 2022 uncoolbilly 8 1,624 07-24-2022, 01:34 PM
Last Post: uncoolbilly
  Other options for Instantcert Spanish? IceSparkle 16 3,719 07-19-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: SevenSister
  IC - Spanish CCCC 13 3,496 04-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  InstantCert InstantCREDIT Spanish I Course Review OldManOfTheSea 29 8,504 03-01-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Spanish I on Credly evanmonast 2 1,237 01-31-2022, 02:54 PM
Last Post: evanmonast
  Typing Spanish Accents danyelln 8 1,916 01-12-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has anyone taken the Spanish course course? harrit 4 1,515 10-14-2021, 12:54 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Spanish CLEP in 3 months; Need a 50 Please Help! Question at bottom! therealgageb 8 3,684 10-20-2020, 07:33 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Instant Cert Spanish 1 acmh1211 3 1,982 07-28-2020, 11:33 PM
Last Post: acmh1211