Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I earned an Honors BLS Degree with Two Minors in 8 days!!
(01-28-2024, 07:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @TonyaBay, Congrats on getting this degree completed and that was done at an amazing pace!  Great job, nice write up, that's just so awesome of you to provide tips and advice to the prospective people starting their new journey at UMPI!  You're a rockstar! Congrats again, hope you continue on your next journey, and looking forward to seeing you complete that UMPI MAOL in one session if that is in your books for later as a future goal...

I sincerely appreciate your kind congratulations. Thank you very much for your warm remarks. I'm enthusiastic about giving people pointers to help them succeed academically at UMPI. I appreciate your support very much and can't wait to take on the UMPI MAOL's difficulties in the future.

(01-28-2024, 07:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @TonyaBay, Congrats on getting this degree completed and that was done at an amazing pace!  Great job, nice write up, that's just so awesome of you to provide tips and advice to the prospective people starting their new journey at UMPI!  You're a rockstar! Congrats again, hope you continue on your next journey, and looking forward to seeing you complete that UMPI MAOL in one session if that is in your books for later as a future goal...

I sincerely appreciate your kind congratulations. Thank you very much for your warm remarks.  I'm enthusiastic about giving people pointers  to help them succeed academically at UMPI. I appreciate your support very much and can't wait to take on the UMPI MAOL's difficulties in the future.

(01-28-2024, 09:43 PM)Duneranger Wrote: I taught at an accelerated nursing program; it's good you got this degree cheaply because accelerated programs are cash COWS.
Hi there! Thanks for sharing your experience in teaching at an accelerated nursing program. My husband and I have a well-thought-out plan for nursing school, and I'm grateful to have no existing debt. Even if I were to take out a significant amount in loans, I'm confident in my ability to manage it, considering the promising returns in the field.

Speaking of returns on investment, my husband's educational journey exemplifies this concept. After initially earning his associate's degree in nursing and later completing his bachelor's, he strategically opted for a specialty, leading to a six-figure income in his first year. This approach significantly influenced our financial standing, contributing to the reason why I don't qualify for financial aid; our planning has positioned us well.

We understand the importance of planning and thorough research in navigating the financial aspects of education. Exploring programs like the VA, which offer tuition-free options for those committing to work post-graduation, is a valuable consideration. I'd also like to highlight that my husband's achievements, graduating with honors and winning numerous scholarships, were a result of meticulous planning. He not only applied for scholarships but, most importantly, meticulously planned his journey, ensuring he finished RN school without accumulating any debt. This underscores the significance of thoughtful planning in achieving educational goals and realizing a substantial return on investment.

I've posted links to a few programs that are tuition free if you work for them for 2-3 years after completing nursing school, some programs even give monthly stipends if the student has a high GPA. 

https://son.rochester.edu/ur-nursing-sch...he%20NCLEX.

https://www.hackensackmeridianhealth.org...evelopment

https://www.va.gov/files/2022-10/Scholar...dents..pdf

https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/free-n...-programs/

(01-28-2024, 09:43 PM)Duneranger Wrote: I taught at an accelerated nursing program; it's good you got this degree cheaply because accelerated programs are cash COWS.

Thanks for sharing your experience in teaching at an accelerated nursing program. My husband and I have a well-thought-out plan for nursing school, and I'm grateful to have no existing debt. Even if I were to take out a significant amount in loans, I'm confident in my ability to manage it, considering the promising returns in the field.

Speaking of returns on investment, my husband's educational journey exemplifies this concept. After initially earning his associate's degree in nursing and later completing his bachelor's, he strategically opted for a specialty, leading to a six-figure income in his first year. This approach significantly influenced our financial standing, contributing to the reason why I don't qualify for financial aid; our planning has positioned us well.

We understand the importance of planning and thorough research in navigating the financial aspects of education. Exploring programs like the VA, which offer tuition-free options for those committing to work post-graduation, is a valuable consideration. I'd also like to highlight that my husband's achievements, graduating with honors and winning numerous scholarships, were a result of meticulous planning. He not only applied for scholarships but, most importantly, meticulously planned his journey, ensuring he finished RN school without accumulating any debt. This underscores the significance of thoughtful planning in achieving educational goals and realizing a substantial return on investment.

I've posted links to a few programs that are tuition free if you work for them for 2-3 years after completing nursing school, some programs even give monthly stipends if the student has a high GPA. 

https://son.rochester.edu/ur-nursing-sch...he%20NCLEX.

https://www.hackensackmeridianhealth.org...evelopment

https://www.va.gov/files/2022-10/Scholar...dents..pdf

https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/free-n...-programs/

(01-28-2024, 10:29 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There have been a few courses where you're stuck until the Milestone is approved. Posts like this set unrealistic expectations for the vast majority of students. I mean it's cool someone completed 10 UMPI courses in 8 days, but I can see this causing UMPI to make changes in the future especially if the accreditation board gets wind. You truly didn't complete the entire degree in 8 days because the majority of classes were transferred in. Depending on what courses a degree requires, you can be waiting a week for the professor to grade. I see people frustrated all day long that they're waiting 2, 3 days and sometimes longer.
@ss20ts

Approach to Academic Achievements:
I am sharing my personal experience, not intending to create unrealistic expectations. Many students, including myself, find different approaches to completing assignments efficiently. I've even come across a YouTube video where someone finished 48 credits in 2 months, showcasing diverse perspectives on academic achievements. PS: Below is a reply that you wrote to someone who asked about the difficulty of a course. 

The person asked:  "Are Project Management Application courses diffucult to get Summa Cum Laude grades? Are there any other PM courses to look out for? From reading, all I know about the PM application courses is that you'll be assisting in a local project. " 

You replie
"It depends on how much effort you put into the coursework. 
I graduated - twice - summa cum laude from UMPI. I received A's and A+'s in all of my project management courses. I did more than the minimum to earn those grades though. An A is always my goal."

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Summa-Cum-Laude-Project-Management-Goal

Instead of giving tips, you bragged about your grades but dared to leave a negative comment on my post where I listed tips to help others who are possibly struggling as I have in the past. 

Impact on UMPI and Accreditation
The idea that someone completing 10 UMPI courses in 8 days would automatically prompt significant changes at UMPI or jeopardize its accreditation seems overly alarmist. Institutions make decisions based on a comprehensive evaluation of various factors, not knee-jerk reactions to isolated incidents. One exceptional achievement doesn't dictate the overall effectiveness of an educational model, and accreditation boards assess institutions based on a wide range of criteria to ensure quality and integrity.

Adjustments by Educational Providers
You are insinuating that providers like Sophia, Straighterline, and my previous nursing school might consider adjusting their curricula. Regardless of my course, I consistently approach my studies similarly. My high grades show that my strategy is effective, irrespective of whether I take classes at a brick-and-mortar institution or a competency-based program. Educational institutions often modify their regulations independent of individual study methods.

Navigating the System and Addressing Delays
I'm not here to impress anyone. I'm sharing my experience to let others know that it's possible. I made it clear that I transferred credits into UMPI. Waiting a week for a professor to grade? Not my style. I constantly contact any professor I've taken a class with. If someone doesn't do their job, I go over their head, just like I learned in Sophia's business courses. Escalating the matter to higher-ups is a skill I've mastered. I do not need to endure waiting for days; I take action!

From UMPI website 
Link: https://www.umpi.edu/yourpace/faqs/#:~:text=YourPace%20is%20a%20flat%20rate,own%20pace%2C%20during%20each%20session.

How much will my degree cost?
YourPace is a flat rate tuition program ($1,500 for undergraduate, $2,150 for graduate per eight-week session) and you can take as many courses as you like, as you
progress at your own pace, during each session.

How long will it take me to complete my program? -
That depends entirely on you! If you have a lot of prior coursework to transfer in and the freedom to dedicate a lot of time to your coursework, you can complete the
program in as few as 12 months. The amount of time it takes is dependent on the number of credits transferred in and the time you have to study and complete your
competency work.

Hence the name "your pace"

How much will my degree cost?
YourPace is a flat rate tuition program ($1,500 for undergraduate, $2,150 for graduate per eight-week session) and you can take as many courses as you like, as you
progress at your own pace, during each session.

How long will it take me to complete my program? -
That depends entirely on you! If you have a lot of prior coursework to transfer in and the freedom to dedicate a lot of time to your coursework, you can complete the
program in as few as 12 months. The amount of time it takes is dependent on the number of credits transferred in and the time you have to study and complete your
competency work.

PS: Upon a more objective reading of my post, it becomes apparent that some of the tips offered could be advantageous to you. There's no requirement for negativity; let's foster an environment where we can all thrive. Big Grin

(01-28-2024, 10:48 PM)pjmix2000 Wrote: This question might sound stupid but, what if the nursing school you are trying to go to does not take ACE credits such as Sophia or Study.com?

Your question is not at all silly. Over the years, I've developed a strategy for contacting schools and inquiring about their credit transfer policies. Before ACE transitioned to Credly, I was advised to check the ACE providers' websites and review their partnerships, which proved helpful. I learned how to search the school's catalog for mentions of the American Council on Education, enabling me to determine if the schools accepted ACE credits.

I've successfully confirmed that Radiology schools, Nursing schools, and Physical Therapy schools accept ACE credits. For those schools that might initially hesitate, I've been told they would accept the credits if attached to a degree audit from a regionally accredited university for a bachelor's degree. I've applied to various institutions, including community colleges and universities like TESU, Rutgers, Kean University, Felician, and many more. It's all about advocating for yourself.

In one instance, a school initially refused some of my ACE credits for a Sophia course. I obtained both the university and ACE syllabi, demonstrating that the course topics were identical. The dean intervened, instructing the registrar's office to accept the credits. Proving the credit's worth, along with earning high grades, played a crucial role in their acceptance. So, don't hesitate to advocate for your credits—it can make a significant difference!
[-] The following 4 users Like basicunitoflife's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, lynnii2, midnite123, Pikachu
(01-29-2024, 02:58 AM)GameSlinger Wrote: Amazing journey and congratulations.

Yes as some others have stated, this is not 0 to 120 credits in 8 days as they stated they did work on some credits following the pandemic. From my count, there were 11 classes (33 credits) at UMPI in 8 days, and 14 classes (42 credits?) through SDC and Sophia in 4 days plus UMPI overlap. That is 75+ credits in just under 2 weeks which is amazing by any standard. At that pace, I believe that you could have done the full 120 credits in less than 3 weeks. 

Yes there may be some difficulty finding a Nursing program that will accept all the science classes, but I believe there will be success in your future.
 I appreciate your positive outlook on my future success. 

In response to your comment, I want to clarify that not all credits were transferred, and that's indeed the essence of the competency-based program. Regarding the question about course overlap, I strategically began some courses while waiting for others to be completed—effective planning is the key to making it all possible.

On a related note, my 19-year-old daughter has more credits than I do, (especially regional credits) employing a similar strategy. She graduated elementary and high school by age 14, passed her TEAS exam with high scores, and received an acceptance letter from Trinitas Nursing School in NJ by age 16. This success is achievable with the right planning. 

As I mentioned to someone else, many schools accept ACE sciences, underscoring the importance of advocating for oneself. A TESU worker even mentioned that Straighterline sciences are considered superior to university sciences. While I value online information, I always conduct my own research to sift through any discrepancies. Thanks again for your encouraging words!

(01-29-2024, 06:10 AM)kai1120 Wrote: First, let me congratulate you on this incredible achievement. You did something I had always thought about but feared doing. I noticed the number of classes and days indicate you've completed more than one course in a day multiple times. I understand a significant amount of studying happened in the form of reading instead of watching lecture videos, but one course a day with straight A's really surprised me quite a bit. Was the reading challenging to you? How would you evaluate the amount of work involved for an average course (e.g., one could finish if dedicating x hours in one day)? Are you familiar with the topics before taking these courses? Do you think this is replicable for an average learner, or did your experience in the past play an important role in allowing you to do this?

In any way, this is a great achievement; congrats again. You'll be inspiring many in the future.
I'll be looking at the Straighterline English Composition course. It seems like this could be a good help for what I'm doing now as well.
@kai1120. 
Thank you so much for your congratulations and thoughtful questions. I appreciate your kind words and curiosity about my journey.

Completing multiple courses in a day did involve a significant amount of reading, and while challenging, I found it to be a manageable approach. The key was dedicating focused time to absorb the material efficiently.

Evaluating the amount of work for an average course varied, but generally, dedicating a concentrated block of time each day allowed me to progress steadily. The duration would depend on the course complexity and credit hours, but planning and time management were crucial.

My familiarity with the topics before taking the courses varied. In some cases, I had prior knowledge, while others were entirely new. However, the competency-based model allowed me to move at my own pace, allocating more time to areas I found challenging. 

As for replicability for an average learner, I believe the approach can be adapted based on individual learning styles and commitments. While my past experiences played a role, the key factors were planning, discipline, and adapting study methods to suit the competency-based structure. I While study.com isn't my preferred provider for a few reasons, the frequent repetition of information in a condensed timeframe has proven beneficial for me in various ways over time.

Thank you again for your congratulations. I wish you success with the Straighterline English Composition course—it could indeed be a valuable resource for your current endeavors. If you have any more questions or need further insights, feel free to ask!

(01-28-2024, 10:48 PM)pjmix2000 Wrote: This question might sound stupid but, what if the nursing school you are trying to go to does not take ACE credits such as Sophia or Study.com?

in addition to my earlier reply, utilize the following links to explore your school's credit transfer policies. Additionally, get in touch with the registrar's office to inquire about credit acceptance. While some schools may suggest sending transcripts, a thorough search on their website can often reveal their stance on accepting credits.

https://www.sophia.org/find-your-school/

https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/

https://study.com/college/school/index.html

https://www2.acenet.edu/programs/ccrs/ad...cfm?sort=s
[-] The following 2 users Like basicunitoflife's post:
  • midnite123, Pikachu
I am not sure that reporting such things is at all productive and probably shouldn't be allowed as it will likely destroy opportunities for people who want to put in their time and get an education. I can point to Shmoop University that I thought was very good and told people how to quickly pass courses with only reading the sections you didn't pass on the first go through. Shmoop went away and it had a wonderful selection of courses. What I didn't tell the person is that I have 5 degrees including 2 masters.
[-] The following 5 users Like Old Guy's post:
  • Chankosumo, Lady_Gumshoe, ltw900rr, ss20ts, TINASAM
(01-29-2024, 05:47 PM)Old Guy Wrote: I am not sure that reporting such things is at all productive and probably shouldn't be allowed as it will likely destroy opportunities for people who want to put in their time and get an education. I can point to Shmoop University that I thought was very good and told people how to quickly pass courses with only reading the sections you didn't pass on the first go through. Shmoop went away and it had a wonderful selection of courses. What I didn't tell the person is that I have 5 degrees including 2 masters.

I hate that I missed out on Shmoop, even with the dumb name I'd have been all over those courses, lol.
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - June 2025

Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

Congrats and amazing achievement fellow classmate

some class is really sticky and is good strategy to transfer them in
just manage to finish 14 class and waiting for new class to open,
working full time and Asia timing here, 3 minor now MIS, Management and Political Science 

hope to clear 20+ class before the term end, Cheers

Attached Files
.jpg   1c6ec94c-64a1-4b48-bc46-e1a51fc22fca.jpg (Size: 29.53 KB / Downloads: 25)
[-] The following 5 users Like ivanswk78's post:
  • basicunitoflife, indigoshuffle, LevelUP, midnite123, TINASAM
Congrats , pretty good achievement.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Ms University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

[-] The following 2 users Like Imbanewbie's post:
  • basicunitoflife, midnite123
Amazing, while I only can do 2 classes per term...sigh ?
(01-30-2024, 04:58 AM)ishady Wrote: Amazing, while I only can do 2 classes per term...sigh ?

Only 2 classes a term? At UMPI? If so, remember, everyone has different goals.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • basicunitoflife
(01-29-2024, 05:47 PM)Old Guy Wrote: I am not sure that reporting such things is at all productive and probably shouldn't be allowed as it will likely destroy opportunities for people who want to put in their time and get an education.  I can point to Shmoop University that I thought was very good and told people how to quickly pass courses with only reading the sections you didn't pass on the first go through.  Shmoop went away and it had a wonderful selection of courses.  What I didn't tell the person is that I have 5 degrees including 2 masters.

@oldGuy

My experience and story are not meant to hinder anyone committed to their education. As a student at UMPI was not able to choose my own classes. The course selection process at UMPI is determined by academic advisors based on my progress, highlighting the flexibility inherent in a competency-based program like UMPI, aptly named "Your Pace."
Question: Would the academic advisors have enrolled me in more classes if they believed I was not adhering to integrity rules?

Expressing reservations about the intense focus on academic integrity in a competency-based setting is not an oversight but stems from the belief that "Your Pace" should tailor education to individual needs. It is crucial to recognize that my experience, being my first degree, does not make it universal, especially when compared to someone with five degrees. I have guided others to understand rubrics, syllabi,  reading materials, encouraging regular contact with academic advisors and thorough engagement with course content.

Moreover, I intend not to make my experiences a universal standard but to share a successful learning journey. Akin to UMPI, Sophia.org provides touchstones early, aiding in tackling complex assignments gradually or before completing milestones. People have varied approaches, and acknowledging this diversity is vital.

Additionally, questioning the intense focus on academic integrity in a competency-based setting does not recognize the importance of ethical conduct. "Your Pace" is not about making things universal but tailoring the learning experience to individual needs.

While sharing my experiences, my mindset is not to discourage but to showcase the program's adaptability. Success stories at different paces should inspire students to make informed decisions about their educational journey within the flexible framework UMPI provides without imposing a single narrative on everyone.

PS:
I find it perplexing why an individual with five degrees would feel the need to resort to shortcuts or endorse dishonesty within the education system. 
Consider this: Despite having the option to choose electives that could have made my academic journey easier, I deliberately opted for 91% of upper-level courses. Some of these courses entailed substantial academic challenges, including tasks like completing 6-7 papers, and I needed to gain knowledge in most of the courses, so I read the material. The question arises: Why did I consciously choose this more demanding path?I have consistently mentioned in many of my posts, including the initial one in this thread, I have undertaken ACE and completed courses at brick-and-mortar institutions over the past years. This context is crucial because I have been transparent and forthright about my educational background in my posts.

He Finished 48 Credits in Two Months at UMPI!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME43KF-dm5o

How I Complete a Performance Assessment (Paper) in One Day | Western Governors University #WGU.   https://youtu.be/DiBrQtoJTV0?si=DdPcktd2rDzaYxKr
HOW TO PASS A CLASS IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS. https://youtu.be/kFRHWJ5IZJE?si=nRfth5O0_bTm80D8
1 Completed 10 College Courses in 1 Month With Sophia https://youtu.be/IoSToaliwqU?si=cM6CwcZJu0cLlLsi
He Passed 11 (33 credits) Courses in 8 Weeks!!! | You Can Do It Too!  https://youtu.be/OWU2QJjebzM?si=THTRT6fcBWdi1yBM  
I earned college credit in 30 minutes!!! (Sophia).  https://youtu.be/zf7s-aW7h94?si=IIA3bXHO-zlJQaoO

(01-29-2024, 08:33 PM)ivanswk78 Wrote: Congrats and amazing achievement fellow classmate

some class is really sticky and is good strategy to transfer them in
just manage to finish 14 class and waiting for new class to open,
working full time and Asia timing here, 3 minor now MIS, Management and Political Science 

hope to clear 20+ class before the term end, Cheers

Congratulations!

Your achievements are truly commendable! Managing those sticky classes and strategically transferring them in is a smart approach! Finishing 14 classes while working full time in the Asian time zone is no small feat. Your dedication is truly inspiring!!!

Juggling three minors in MIS, Management, and Political Science showcases your versatility. Best of luck in clearing 20+ classes before the term ends — your determination is bound to lead to more success. Cheers to your continued academic journey! ??YOU CAN DO IT!!

(01-30-2024, 06:22 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 04:58 AM)ishady Wrote: Amazing, while I only can do 2 classes per term...sigh ?

Only 2 classes a term? At UMPI? If so, remember, everyone has different goals.

Every journey is unique, and doing two classes per term is still a significant achievement. Remember, it's not about the speed but the consistency and dedication you bring to each class. Planning is crucial, and developing those habits takes time, but you're on the right path.

Keep up the great work, and don't be disheartened. Your commitment is what matters most. You've got this! ??
[-] The following 1 user Likes basicunitoflife's post:
  • midnite123
Where did I say you took shortcuts? So glad you have the time to read through my previous posts. And no I do not help students with their coursework. My advice is always the same: read the course content, read all of the professor's feedback, ask them questions, and do your own work. I've had students email me demanding I send them copies of my papers. No, I will not subject myself to this nonsense. I've been called many nasty things because I don't help students cheat. There are many times I wish I had NEVR shared my UMPI experience with this forum. You're one of those times. I see so many posts on social media about completing degrees in record pace at WGU and it's caused problems there. They have had issues with their accreditation board. Yes, the boards do care how quickly and how slowly students complete their degrees. Degrees completed in 8 days give the appearance of a diploma mill and give other students the idea that they too can complete a degree in a few days which is just not realistic. This is a participation trophy at best. Sad to see UMPI reduced to this and I truly wish I had not shared my experience now that people have turned it into this.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • CCDegreeMe, ExistentialCrisis, TINASAM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 4 663 08-26-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Does spain/EU accept UMPI degree? Solden81 16 1,631 08-01-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  UMPI Minors Wiki Guide LevelUP 8 1,837 07-31-2024, 08:04 PM
  how to know which transfer credits will apply to degree? skinmasksean 7 444 07-26-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: skinmasksean
  Help - UMPI Degree Plan Tequila 4 496 07-16-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information UMPI BAS MIS Degree Program Jin Wang 10 804 07-05-2024, 09:41 AM
  UMPI Degree Completion Help SantaMaria 18 2,496 06-27-2024, 08:46 PM
  Confused about UMPI 2nd degree elment 18 1,650 06-21-2024, 11:33 PM
  Degree Planning (BLS Educational Studies) cstoops17 9 484 06-17-2024, 07:33 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Finishing BA Psych degree plan bonjourcat 21 1,344 06-12-2024, 07:31 PM
Last Post: bonjourcat