Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How should I structure my CV as a UMPI Graduate?
I've pursued a Bachelor's degree in Accounting at UMPI. I live in EU and in a kind of conservative country where people do not seem to understand distance learning education, let alone having graduated in 9 months with a bachelor's degree.

I am looking for tips on how to structure the education and work experience section of my CV and for a "story" to tell, because with my current resume I am not having much success. Please see the photo. While I am getting interviews, when I say that I pursued this degree online they lose their interest. Or they do not understand and ask me whether this is a two-year degree, despite stating that this is a Bachelor's degree.

Ideas:

- remove military service date so they are not wondering how I completed a four-year degree in US while in my home country
- ??

Thank you!

Resume Photo
Hmm, interesting really... I don't see anything wrong with the resume at all, everyone will have different "end dates". You're just not explaining or telling your story effective enough. Many people finish their degree in 9 months, that's because they started some course work and have credits from years ago. You just need to tell them you finished what you started... And that's it! Don't get too fancy and try to change the dates so it's incorrect and a lie, be honest and transparent... I did X credits a few years ago, these 9 months, I finished the final X required for the degree. Voila, again, that's all!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-29-2022, 12:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, interesting really... I don't see anything wrong with the resume at all, everyone will have different "end dates". You're just not explaining or telling your story effective enough. Many people finish their degree in 9 months, that's because they started some course work and have credits from years ago. You just need to tell them you finished what you started... And that's it! Don't get too fancy and try to change the dates so it's incorrect and a lie, be honest and transparent... I did X credits a few years ago, these 9 months, I finished the final X required for the degree. Voila, again, that's all!

There are two issues that I face:

1) The CV as it is, raises questions and I know this because I am not getting as many interviews as I could - and from the interviews that I get, I confirm this based on the questions I am being asked. Why? Because it appears that I have studied for four years in the United States, but under the education section, it appears that during this time I was also serving in the military in my home country in EU. This is the issue one that I need to fix and I need ideas on how to structure my resume so it makes more sense and get more interviews.

2) The interviews. As I said above, I need a story to tell. One is, as you suggested, to tell them that I had already acquired some credits and I just completed the rest during this year, 2022. The problem with this is that this will raise even more questions and it will make things even more complicated.

Please note that I'm competing with people with local on-campus degrees. Also please note that we're talking about interviewers who do not seem to understand distance learning education. I literally explain in the beginning of the interview that I pursued this degree via distance learning and few minutes later they ask me "is the degree a two-years one, because it seems that you were serving in the military too"? "No, as I said, I did it online, it's a four-year one". It's as if they don't want to understand, as if online education is a completely strange concept. Similar reaction by two different Big 4 companies. This is issue two that I need to fix, and I need a simpler story so they do not feel they're making a risky move by hiring me.

I want a CV that speaks for its self and does not raises questions which lead me to reveal that I pursued it in 1 year or online, or both. Online is okay, but the former is a big no, no one will ever want to hire me here. And I want a story that supports this CV. For the story, if I'm asked (but with the right CV I won't be asked), I do not want to lie, I will just say I did it online. But they do not need to know anything else, and they won't ask for transcripts either.

Thanks!
(10-29-2022, 01:27 PM)atmoex Wrote: I want a CV that speaks for its self and does not raises questions which lead me to reveal that I pursued it in 1 year or online, or both. Online is okay, but the former is a big no, no one will ever want to hire me here. And I want a story that supports this CV. For the story, if I'm asked (but with the right CV I won't be asked), I do not want to lie, I will just say I did it online. But they do not need to know anything else, and they won't ask for transcripts either.

Thanks!

Why not just add "Online" or "by distance learning" to the education section?
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Do not put dates on your CV. If you want dates, only the graduation year. Dates are now recommended to be removed from resumes, because some employers use it to age discriminate.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 4 users Like ashkir's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, jsd, RiverM, SweetSecret
Another thing I would suggest is mention numbers to quantify whenever possible, especially anything related to customer service. If you had any awards mention those as well.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
@atmoex, that's the thing, only the person who will be relaying the info would know the true story.  Either another member or I can help you create an updated resume/CV, but you're going to be the one who understands that story to relay it, others will still be confused as they're not the one creating the CV/resume.  You might be able to compose something easy to understand or simple and illustrate it fully.  

Essentially, there is no real way out of this, as you're trying to illustrate a 4-year degree when you've completed it in a few months, you can't put that on paper as it will skew your timeline.  It's just the same as what people in the UK would do, note it's a 1-year Top Up degree as that's very common there, they will still need to tell people - they've done the work before completing that 1-year Top Up.

In addition to what was mentioned, you can create yourself a "free" website with your resume with the quick info and a detailed "about you" page or illustrating how you completed your certs, education, experience, volunteering and whatever else you want people to know.  Have a portfolio created so they know you almost inside-out, something like what a moderator has done, Ashkir.  Have an FAQ and more on the landing page(s).
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You guys are right. Thank you for sharing your insight and advice.
(10-29-2022, 12:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, interesting really... I don't see anything wrong with the resume at all, everyone will have different "end dates".  You're just not explaining or telling your story effective enough.  Many people finish their degree in 9 months, that's because they started some course work and have credits from years ago.  You just need to tell them you finished what you started... And that's it!  Don't get too fancy and try to change the dates so it's incorrect and a lie, be honest and transparent... I did X credits a few years ago, these 9 months, I finished the final X required for the degree.  Voila, again, that's all!

This is great feedback! Thank you for this.
Goal 1: University of Maine at Presque Isle | B.A., Business Admin - Marketing (in progress)
Goal 2: Brigham Young University - Pathway Worldwide | Web Development Cert (in progress)
Goal 3: Brigham Young University - Idaho | B.S., Software Development

Completed:
Pierpont Community and Technical College | A.A.S., BoG - Business Emphasis (2023)
Carrington College | Professional Diploma, Graphic Design

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AI Intro to TESU vs UMPI bjcheung77 5 363 10-14-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 2,311 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Help me with a survey for UMPI ss20ts 2 734 11-03-2021, 09:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Post Graduate University bjcheung77 5 1,327 05-30-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,935 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  17-year-old to graduate from Harvard days after graduating high school quigongene 0 1,236 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  15 Year old Harvard Extension Graduate Prloko 7 2,187 06-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  My oldest son getting ready to graduate high school!!! cookderosa 8 1,476 07-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  What Present for High School/AA Degree Graduate? rebel100 14 2,561 05-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  Question for Graduate Students burbuja0512 26 3,676 03-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512