Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey guys, Computer Science question
Prloko Wrote:Hey, some people need the degree to feel their life is complete, and I felt the same way at one time, so I won't judge. But again, who cares if you don't have a degree? Neither Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg have degrees and I bet their "wife/gf" don't try to throw a degree in their face. I was watching a court show a couple years back where the guy being sued was a Columbia U grad. He was trying to make ends meet and pay his friend working as a part-time furniture mover. I don't think the degree made him a "winner".

Me personally, success in life is more than money and prestige, its being able to share the precious few moments you have with people you care about.

Now that I'm off my soap-box, let me say that Clepping will shave a lot of time/money off your degree and is a smart move if your school accepts them. If you are able to transfer 30 credits that's a year full time and two years pt. The Community College idea is a good one. Just make sure that you work closely with your advisor to get as many credits that transfer directly to OSU.

I discovered this website in your same situation. I was trying to find a short cut to finish with another school (University of Wyoming), and ended up just going with TESC in the end.

I wish you good luck and happy Clepping.

Hey man, I appreciate all the comments, I really do.

I dont know much else to say, except for, maybe I should sit on it for a few months and see where my mind takes me.

Thanks again man!
If you had dropped out of college and then were just sitting on your hands it might be reasonable to question why you dropped out. But anyone who would bring up your lack of a degree when you are running a business you started yourself is a moron.

What does it take to get a degree? Some time, some money, and some persistence. That's pretty much it. Starting a business takes far more and is a far more impressive accomplishment.
BS Liberal Arts progress - 105/120
Honestly,

Starting a business isn't so hard if the overhead is low. In consulting, your very first client could make you 100k+ a year. When you start getting 3-5 clients a month that are new, you realize you are starting to develop a machine. Things fall into place pretty well.

Now, I had tons of knowledge on this business (certain consulting niche) because I worked for 3 of the big companies in it. When I saw how it was done, and how bad (in my eyes) some were doing it, and you realize you can do it better, that's when I think most people take the jump. One of my old managers, sorta yelled at me once, "if you think you can do it better, then you go do that", he didn't mean for me to take it literally. He's a great friend now, and yeah, it's very hard to jump on someone else's ship and take command, when the ship is sailed, the plans are somewhat final. If you want to be the captain you have to get a new ship most of the time. The whole "working your way up" will end eventually quick in the consulting world. Top sales position that allow you to make 300k+ a year are usually more or less inside jobs and "who you know sorta deals". Working your way up from 18k to 100k is possible I think in many companies, but that's sometimes where it ends, more so in the consulting world. When I realized this, I took the jump, and it worked. I realized I could provide the same quality of services with a more "friendly" based client relationship. I get all kinds of christmas cards and happy birthdays from these people every year, something the bigger guys usually don't do, unless it's their largest accounts, say 2+ million in work a year.

I think what I did was pretty standard, I'm still growing, I will continue to grow. I just don't think it's a OMG amazing achievement, half the risk is just taking the plunge, then you realize you don't have anything to loose. Maybe it is though, maybe the specific domain knowledge and the quick thinking is what makes it work. Sometimes I almost think getting a degree is harder, but then again, I forget the sleepness nights early on wondering how I'm going to pay the sales team. Then figuring out and implementing a marketing strategy that if not done correctly was the end. So I guess anything when being done, is easy? All my dumb friends got degrees, not saying they are really dumb, but not computer literate, and if you ask them where bolivia is, you might get europe or something. They look at me like I'm super smart genius who beat the system.

I have another problem though, so I went to a french high school my last year of school. The school is now gone, and supposed to have returned my transcripts to the embassy. Of course they have no record. I lost my diploma and pretty much everything like it when I was moving. I never thought much about it. The embassy said they will look into it, but this happened in 2008 and it just might be lost.

so if worst case scenario, i have to redo something to get a HS diploma, what is the quickest way to do this? This is just more sad news to an already sad story.

Thank you

Leebo Wrote:If you had dropped out of college and then were just sitting on your hands it might be reasonable to question why you dropped out. But anyone who would bring up your lack of a degree when you are running a business you started yourself is a moron.

What does it take to get a degree? Some time, some money, and some persistence. That's pretty much it. Starting a business takes far more and is a far more impressive accomplishment.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 63 8,784 09-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 358 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 288 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,987 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CBE program for data analysis or data science? FreeAgnes 3 433 08-22-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 233 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 509 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 567 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 603 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 522 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox