Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Hey guys, Computer Science question - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Hey guys, Computer Science question (/Thread-Hey-guys-Computer-Science-question)

Pages: 1 2

Hey guys, Computer Science question - pascal - 03-17-2014

I'm 26, I've been working as a programmer since I was 19. Mostly java, enterprisey stuff. In 2011 I saw a market gap in a few well used products in this space and started a consulting firm.

Needless to say, today the firm is quite successful. We've made the inc 5000 2 years in a row, and have 2 awards for industry excellence. I have one big secret though, I never got a computer science degree. I delayed when I first got out of high school and then I got that job. The job at the time was 75k a year and everyone was screaming telling me to take it, I did.

I'm not complaining about my life, money isn't an issue, but I feel so empty without having completed college. I feel like a failure. I love all the people I work with, but whenever the topic of "college" comes up, I just drop internally. Literally, it's like a girl saying she doesn't like you anymore.

All I want is a bachelors. I want to get it from a state university as well. I would like it before I get to 30 as well.

So cramming the courses a bit, and doing summers, I guess you can normally do it in 3 years. What if I complete as many CLEP exams as possible? Any way I could make this say a 2.5 year or a lesser busy 3?

I'm a pretty normal person, and I know this almost seems like a mental problem to some. I'm not going to risk the future of the business on this, and my side project, but I really would like to get it done.

Any input here would be great about how I can go about it.

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

Hey guys, Computer Science question - UptonSinclair - 03-17-2014

Your SPAM is getting tiresome clownigar. Every post you have made references WMA. If you are going to use this site for advertising, you should be paying the site owner.

Hey guys, Computer Science question - UptonSinclair - 03-17-2014

Pascal,

Which degree are you after? Does it need to be Computer Science or would an IT degree work? A Computer Science degree will take a bit of time because many of the courses are impossible to test out of. You can test out of many of the general education courses, but most of the comp sci courses will have to be taken either online or brick and mortar. TESC offers a BA in Computer Science which should allow maximum use of exam credits. It requires two semesters of Calculus, so you will have to at least take Calculus II even if you take the Calculus CLEP. You should be able to knock out Calculus at Straighterline for this degree which is a huge bonus.

For a quick IT degree, you may consider Western Governor's University. They are competency based so one could knock out a bunch of courses in a short time if they were experienced in the materials. From what I understand, certification exams work as the finals for their courses. I haven't taken courses through them because they wanted to give me a hard time about not having industry experience. They wouldn't consider my unpaid experience running email and web servers for the last 10 years. All of that to say, I don't have first hand experience with the school.

Finally, depending on where you want to go with your career, there is always the option of a Business degree with a CIS focus at TESC. It lends itself to testing out of most of the material.

Hey guys, Computer Science question - clep3705 - 03-17-2014

But you can never be the next Bill Gates if you graduate from college!

Hey guys, Computer Science question - pascal - 03-17-2014

I wanted to graduate from the Ohio State University. I'm not exactly wanting to test out of everything, just as much as I can at a college like that.

Career wise, I'm going to continue growing the consulting company, I travel alot for it, but I soon there will be another person to fill that role.

I spent years doing Java, computer science wise I'm in good shape. I love C++, do lots of Python, and even have done a good bit of ASM.

This degree really is just more or less, for me to have. My own little achievement. I was thinking maybe if I can test out of as much stuff with CLEP, and then stack the classes properly, I could maybe get it done in a fluid 3 years, maybe?

I know this forum is more about testing out of many programs etc, but I'm just looking for as much information to make it as quick as possible.

Thank you, any info is greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, Computer Science question - UptonSinclair - 03-18-2014

The first thing you need to do is read up on the CLEP and DSST policies at Ohio State. They should have a list of the CLEP and DSST exams they accept for credit and where they apply. Many state schools have strict limits on non-traditional credits. If I were to transfer to my local University, I would be looking at about 12 credits worth of transfer out of my 60+ exam credits.

In my opinion, the best option for someone wanting a degree from a college other than the big three is to take the exams are accepted by their intended University, take as many credits as possible at a local community college, and then transfer to the local university.

It is very important to base all of your decisions on the end result at the university you will attend. There are few things more frustrating than having a bunch of hard work discarded because the credits don't transfer. Check out the document below for policies regarding exam credits at Ohio State.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://registrar.osu.edu/testing/em_brochure_2013_2014.pdf&sa=U&ei=6OInU6G8HfO02wXBjoCgCQ&ved=0CAcQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFGLMpU0GKwxeKjAqVPQm6wIxVVJQ

Hey guys, Computer Science question - clep3705 - 03-18-2014

Ohio University might be faster than Ohio State University. eCampus

Ohio U does require slightly higher CLEP scores. Transferring Credits: Ohio University Admissions

Hey guys, Computer Science question - Prloko - 03-18-2014

pascal Wrote:I'm not complaining about my life, money isn't an issue, but I feel so empty without having completed college. I feel like a failure. I love all the people I work with, but whenever the topic of "college" comes up, I just drop internally. Literally, it's like a girl saying she doesn't like you anymore.

All I want is a bachelors. I want to get it from a state university as well. I would like it before I get to 30 as well.

So cramming the courses a bit, and doing summers, I guess you can normally do it in 3 years. What if I complete as many CLEP exams as possible? Any way I could make this say a 2.5 year or a lesser busy 3?

Any input here would be great about how I can go about it.

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

If I owned a successful firm, I would brag like all hell that it was without a college degree. For most people, college is a means to an end. Don't get me wrong, I used to have an issue with not having a degree either. I wanted to go to a "respectable" school as that would somehow make me a better person. I got over it, but unfortunately, I don't have my own business, so I had to suck it up and get a TESC degree to check a box.

Telling people you CLEPd a degree is not going to be much more impressive than not having a degree. The education snobs will just complain you cheated.

If you are adamant to get a CS degree, Old Dominion offers an online Bachelors. They accept 60 CLEP/DSST credits. If you are going in person, its going to take a long time. Why a state school?

Hey guys, Computer Science question - pascal - 03-18-2014

Prloko Wrote:If I owned a successful firm, I would brag like all hell that it was without a college degree. For most people, college is a means to an end. Don't get me wrong, I used to have an issue with not having a degree either. I wanted to go to a "respectable" school as that would somehow make me a better person. I got over it, but unfortunately, I don't have my own business, so I had to suck it up and get a TESC degree to check a box.

Telling people you CLEPd a degree is not going to be much more impressive than not having a degree. The education snobs will just complain you cheated.

If you are adamant to get a CS degree, Old Dominion offers an online Bachelors. They accept 60 CLEP/DSST credits. If you are going in person, its going to take a long time. Why a state school?

I will admit completely, this is an internal issue that is caused by me. I just feel like hey, if my gf has a bachelors, what am I doing? You know, it's like whenever we get into a dispute she brings it up. She is just mad and yeah trying her best to make me feel bad, but it's kinda true. 26 years old and still didn't get a degree? What happened?

What happened was in my early 20's was filled with just working as an idiomatic Java developer depressed out of his mind. I don't really care about education snobs say honestly. I just wanted to use CLEP to maybe cut a year off a 4 year degree, and then pack the classes pretty tight so I had a "decent" 3 year program, going summers etc.

I really do prefer to goto Ohio State and get the degree from there, I just wanted to make that process not be a 4 or 5 year one and more like a 3 year one. Now I know people who go summers and pack their classes a little bit and get it done in 3. CLEP'ing my first 30 credits seems like a great way to boost it maybe?

Columbus State a popular community college offers a transfer program, so maybe, just maybe get all the general education stuff out of the way there, then CLEP as much more stuff as I can? I speak fluent French, and a great bit of German (professional writing level). Since we work in the French market, and in Quebec, my french is just as good as my english writing wise.

So I feel those will be some easy CLEP's. I would even be happy with a major in french and minor in computer science or vice versa. Honestly man, I just want a degree. 70 percent of our employees have them, and I'm the founder and the person who runs it, and I don't have one.

Oh the precious wasted time I have missed. I know 26 isn't the end all, but I would have had this done by 22 and still be in the same situation.

Needless to say, degree or not, I am not changing my career path at all. I have a working system and I'm sticking too it. We are continually expanding in new areas and 2014 I think will be our best year yet, and quite possibly our highest growth year.

so maybe CLEP exams + the columbus state transfer program (Many of these courses are offered online as well it seems). Then finish the last 1.5 years at Ohio State (including summers) ?

If I started it this summer or in the fall, seems like I could have it done before 30.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Hey guys, Computer Science question - Prloko - 03-18-2014

pascal Wrote:I will admit completely, this is an internal issue that is caused by me. I just feel like hey, if my gf has a bachelors, what am I doing? You know, it's like whenever we get into a dispute she brings it up. She is just mad and yeah trying her best to make me feel bad, but it's kinda true. 26 years old and still didn't get a degree? What happened?

What happened was in my early 20's was filled with just working as an idiomatic Java developer depressed out of his mind. I don't really care about education snobs say honestly. I just wanted to use CLEP to maybe cut a year off a 4 year degree, and then pack the classes pretty tight so I had a "decent" 3 year program, going summers etc.

I really do prefer to goto Ohio State and get the degree from there, I just wanted to make that process not be a 4 or 5 year one and more like a 3 year one. Now I know people who go summers and pack their classes a little bit and get it done in 3. CLEP'ing my first 30 credits seems like a great way to boost it maybe?

Columbus State a popular community college offers a transfer program, so maybe, just maybe get all the general education stuff out of the way there, then CLEP as much more stuff as I can? I speak fluent French, and a great bit of German (professional writing level). Since we work in the French market, and in Quebec, my french is just as good as my english writing wise.

So I feel those will be some easy CLEP's. I would even be happy with a major in french and minor in computer science or vice versa. Honestly man, I just want a degree. 70 percent of our employees have them, and I'm the founder and the person who runs it, and I don't have one.

Oh the precious wasted time I have missed. I know 26 isn't the end all, but I would have had this done by 22 and still be in the same situation.

Needless to say, degree or not, I am not changing my career path at all. I have a working system and I'm sticking too it. We are continually expanding in new areas and 2014 I think will be our best year yet, and quite possibly our highest growth year.

so maybe CLEP exams + the columbus state transfer program (Many of these courses are offered online as well it seems). Then finish the last 1.5 years at Ohio State (including summers) ?

If I started it this summer or in the fall, seems like I could have it done before 30.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Hey, some people need the degree to feel their life is complete, and I felt the same way at one time, so I won't judge. But again, who cares if you don't have a degree? Neither Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg have degrees and I bet their "wife/gf" don't try to throw a degree in their face. I was watching a court show a couple years back where the guy being sued was a Columbia U grad. He was trying to make ends meet and pay his friend working as a part-time furniture mover. I don't think the degree made him a "winner".

Me personally, success in life is more than money and prestige, its being able to share the precious few moments you have with people you care about.

Now that I'm off my soap-box, let me say that Clepping will shave a lot of time/money off your degree and is a smart move if your school accepts them. If you are able to transfer 30 credits that's a year full time and two years pt. The Community College idea is a good one. Just make sure that you work closely with your advisor to get as many credits that transfer directly to OSU.

I discovered this website in your same situation. I was trying to find a short cut to finish with another school (University of Wyoming), and ended up just going with TESC in the end.

I wish you good luck and happy Clepping.