Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me graduate so I can get divorced!
(06-14-2021, 11:18 AM)BicentennialBabe Wrote: Agreed on the U of P rep.  It doesn't help my cause much.

I like the idea of Human Resources.  I wasn't sure if that was an option at COSC since it isn't on the major list, but I'll look deeper at the concentration vs. major.  

I'm not familiar with ENEB, have to do some looking.  Thank you!!!

Wiki page on ENEB: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/ENEB
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-14-2021, 09:56 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So, new question for the OP: what did COSC show as completed for the Health Care Administration degree?  It looks like you're a decent way through the degree, if what you have will work as I think it might.  But it really depends on what COSC showed.  Can you see what they gave for course equivalencies for all of the HCM courses you brought in from SIU and UoPx?

You can get Financial Accounting and Medical Terminology from Study.com, leaving you with maybe 2 courses plus the capstone.  I think that would cap off that degree.

Since I changed my major to psych, I can no longer see the "this equals that" breakdown for the HCA major.  I emailed them to ask if I could be switched back to view that, noting that I'm not asking for new work to be done on their part, just to be able to view old work.  I wouldn't be surprised if they make me re-enroll for that, though.

(06-14-2021, 10:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If that's what's needed for Health Care Administration, I have a different suggestion:

Financial Accounting CLEP (free through ModernStates)
Medical Terminology TECEP ($50)
Human Biology and/or Environmental Science ($79 for one month of Sophia)

If any further credits are needed to round out the credit requirement, more Sophia: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

Thank you very much for the specific recommendations.  Smile

(06-14-2021, 11:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 11:18 AM)BicentennialBabe Wrote: Agreed on the U of P rep.  It doesn't help my cause much.

I like the idea of Human Resources.  I wasn't sure if that was an option at COSC since it isn't on the major list, but I'll look deeper at the concentration vs. major.  

Thank you!
(06-14-2021, 11:22 AM)BicentennialBabe Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 09:56 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So, new question for the OP: what did COSC show as completed for the Health Care Administration degree?  It looks like you're a decent way through the degree, if what you have will work as I think it might.  But it really depends on what COSC showed.  Can you see what they gave for course equivalencies for all of the HCM courses you brought in from SIU and UoPx?

You can get Financial Accounting and Medical Terminology from Study.com, leaving you with maybe 2 courses plus the capstone.  I think that would cap off that degree.

Since I changed my major to psych, I can no longer see the "this equals that" breakdown for the HCA major.  I emailed them to ask if I could be switched back to view that, noting that I'm not asking for new work to be done on their part, just to be able to view old work.  I wouldn't be surprised if they make me re-enroll for that, though.

(06-14-2021, 10:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If that's what's needed for Health Care Administration, I have a different suggestion:

Financial Accounting CLEP (free through ModernStates)
Medical Terminology TECEP ($50)
Human Biology and/or Environmental Science ($79 for one month of Sophia)

If any further credits are needed to round out the credit requirement, more Sophia: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

Thank you very much for the specific recommendations.  Smile

(06-14-2021, 11:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Thank you!

You definitely need to get that info.  I think this is what I'd do, I think it can be completed for $5-$6k.  Maybe less.

Study.com has what you need - Sophia has one as well.  I'd say to sign up for Sophia and do Environmental Science,  but COSC won't take their accounting course as the Financial Accounting requirement, so you're probably better off enrolling at Study.com, doing ACC 101: Financial Accounting, HEA 103: Medical Terminology, and an easy science course (NUTR 101: Science of Nutrition is popular, and I think ESCI 104: Intro to Meteorology is supposed to be pretty easy).

Report back and let us know what COSC says about your courses.  Worst case scenario is that they make you re-apply; but it's worth $50 to find out how close you are (Study.com also has 2 HCM courses COSC will bring in towards the requirements if your courses don't come in).

I think this really is your best option - much better than a Psych degree (you have virtually nothing there) or even a BSLS degree (because what's the point when a BS in Health Care Administration is so close).  It's always better to get a more focused degree if you can, and you have so many courses in that area.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Poring over very old emails (2008) from COSC, I found an evaluation that said I'd need to complete the following for my BS in healthcare administration:

HCA Quality Concepts (I took and passed that after this evaluation)
HR Management (I took and passed that after this evaluation)
Financial Accounting
Healthcare Economics
Strategic Management
and of course, Statistics.
(06-14-2021, 11:18 AM)BicentennialBabe Wrote: That's near the top of the heap in my consideration.  Probably my biggest hurdle will be more statistics/math.

Have you looked at Sophia's College Algebra and Introduction to Statistics? I'm sooooo not a math person and found those 2 courses to be really helpful. I took algebra before stats which was a good decision because some of what you learn in the algebra class you used in the stats class. I don't know if they are accepted by COSC. If they're not, they're still a good way to being the material and move through it at your own pace.
(06-14-2021, 11:33 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You definitely need to get that info.  I think this is what I'd do, I think it can be completed for $5-$6k.  Maybe less.

Study.com has what you need - Sophia has one as well.  I'd say to sign up for Sophia and do Environmental Science,  but COSC won't take their accounting course as the Financial Accounting requirement, so you're probably better off enrolling at Study.com, doing ACC 101: Financial Accounting, HEA 103: Medical Terminology, and an easy science course (NUTR 101: Science of Nutrition is popular, and I think ESCI 104: Intro to Meteorology is supposed to be pretty easy).

Report back and let us know what COSC says about your courses.  Worst case scenario is that they make you re-apply; but it's worth $50 to find out how close you are (Study.com also has 2 HCM courses COSC will bring in towards the requirements if your courses don't come in).

I think this really is your best option - much better than a Psych degree (you have virtually nothing there) or even a BSLS degree (because what's the point when a BS in Health Care Administration is so close).  It's always better to get a more focused degree if you can, and you have so many courses in that area.

I really appreciate the specific recommendations of alternate (cheaper, self-paced) providers that I can transfer in.  I definitely work in hyper focus spurts, so it's easier for me to work like crazy for a shorter period than to maintain the same energy for a full semester. 

I will report back with what I hear back from admin at COSC.  While I don't remember the specifics, I remember very vividly a crushingly defeated feeling of "how have I done so much and yet am still so far away" when I was being evaluated.  But I've put in a lot of work in various places over many, many years and maybe it isn't as far off as I fear.

(06-14-2021, 11:41 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 11:18 AM)BicentennialBabe Wrote: That's near the top of the heap in my consideration.  Probably my biggest hurdle will be more statistics/math.

Have you looked at Sophia's College Algebra and Introduction to Statistics? I'm sooooo not a math person and found those 2 courses to be really helpful. I took algebra before stats which was a good decision because some of what you learn in the algebra class you used in the stats class. I don't know if they are accepted by COSC. If they're not, they're still a good way to being the material and move through it at your own pace.

I've already taken college algebra and statistics & probability.  I required massive amounts of assistance with each, but to be fair that was before my ADHD was diagnosed and medicated.  My broad stroke conceptualization is great, but my working memory for sequential learning where every step matters (like math or languages) is much more compromised.  When I take more math related courses it will be one per semester and I'll be using a tutor very heavily.  Last time I spent more time at the tutor than I did in the classroom.  It will be unpleasant but with enough support, doable.
According to the last information available, Sophia's statistics IS accepted by COSC as MAT 105 Principles of Statistics. That's exactly the statistics you need for the healthcare administration degree. Sophia's Statistics is pretty easy as far as statistics go. Information on making it as painless as possible is here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...urse_Order

SDC does not have Healthcare Economics. I'm not sure if there is a cheaper resource than COSC for this class. But, at this point, I would say that it would be worth it to just take it from COSC to get this specific degree.

Take Financial Accounting (Accounting 101: Financial Accounting) and Strategic Management (Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management) from Study.com

Take Statistics and Human Biology/Environmental Science from Sophia.

(06-14-2021, 11:45 AM)BicentennialBabe Wrote: I've already taken college algebra and statistics & probability.  I required massive amounts of assistance with each, but to be fair that was before my ADHD was diagnosed and medicated.  My broad stroke conceptualization is great, but my working memory for sequential learning where every step matters (like math or languages) is much more compromised.  When I take more math related courses it will be one per semester and I'll be using a tutor very heavily.  Last time I spent more time at the tutor than I did in the classroom.  It will be unpleasant but with enough support, doable.

Everything at Sophia is OPEN BOOK. So you don't need to remember everything. You just need to know where to look in the PDF(s). You can take notes based on the videos, as necessary, and use those as well.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(06-14-2021, 11:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote: According to the last information available, Sophia's statistics IS accepted by COSC as MAT 105 Principles of Statistics. That's exactly the statistics you need for the healthcare administration degree. Sophia's Statistics is pretty easy as far as statistics go. Information on making it as painless as possible is here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...urse_Order

SDC does not have Healthcare Economics. I'm not sure if there is a cheaper resource than COSC for this class. But, at this point, I would say that it would be worth it to just take it from COSC to get this specific degree.

Take Financial Accounting (Accounting 101: Financial Accounting) and Strategic Management (Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management) from Study.com

Take Statistics and Human Biology/Environmental Science from Sophia.

(06-14-2021, 11:45 AM)BicentennialBabe Wrote: I've already taken college algebra and statistics & probability.  I required massive amounts of assistance with each, but to be fair that was before my ADHD was diagnosed and medicated.  My broad stroke conceptualization is great, but my working memory for sequential learning where every step matters (like math or languages) is much more compromised.  When I take more math related courses it will be one per semester and I'll be using a tutor very heavily.  Last time I spent more time at the tutor than I did in the classroom.  It will be unpleasant but with enough support, doable.

Everything at Sophia is OPEN BOOK. So you don't need to remember everything. You just need to know where to look in the PDF(s). You can take notes based on the videos, as necessary, and use those as well.

Thank you sooo much, honestly.  

So that puts my plan of attack as: 

Study.com
Financial Accounting (since I don't think I could CLEP this one)
Strategic Management

TECEP
Medical Terminology 

Sophia
Statistics
Human Biology or Environmental Science

COSC
Quality Concepts
Economics of Healthcare
HR Management
(06-13-2021, 08:04 PM)BicentennialBabe Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 06:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You're going to need to include course numbers for each school - like HUM101 or MAT2001 or whatever the school does.  It's almost impossible to tell you anything without that info.

Also, any ideas on a degree?

What does "did poorly" mean?  Grades are more helpful than that tidbit.  Different schools will take different grades, so it behooves you to include a grade for every course that's lower than a C (it will make a difference).

What was your major at COSC? And how did they bring in your credits? Do you have a transcript or evaluation of your previous credits? (make sure to erase personal info)

Finally - not losing credits is actually not the best way to look at things.  How many credits it will take and what the cost will be to finish a degree is a much better bet.  That being said, I'm guessing a BSLS from COSC will be your best bet, since you already took courses there, including the cornerstone; and you will probably be able to just finish up there pretty easily.

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.  I added in the course numbers to the first post.  I also added notations of any grade below the A/B range. 

These courses are off my COSC unofficial transcript.  So while they accepted my D in bio transferred in from community college, I know some other schools would not.  It shows me as having 102 credits accumulated.  

I initially had a healthcare management major, but somewhere along the line I switched to psychology.  LOL should have stuck with HCM, my grades are much better in those areas.

I will take a look at the BSLS, thank you!  Any additional ideas spurred by the new content are also appreciated.    

I agree that the distance/cost to graduation should be my priority.  In the past it has been disheartening to think I'm "X credits away" to be told that no, I actually have triple that to go because of program requirements not meshing with the classes I have completed.

(06-13-2021, 07:50 PM)Alpha Wrote: I'll confess that I'm just a bit interested in how degree = divorce.  Typically I don't ask personal questions but , after all, you brought it up.

If I leave him, I lose my very good health insurance.  In my mind, diploma -> good job with good health insurance -> financial independence without eating cat food.   (I have several chronic illnesses that require a high level of management.)

Maybe it will all be fine, but if it puts a fire under my ass to complete school, then that's a win as well.

I checked the student portal at COSC.  Per my last advising worksheet this is where I stand on general requirements for graduation

Cornerstone - done
Oral Comm - done
Written Comm - done
Ethics - done
Global Understanding - done
Lit/Fine Arts - done
Natural Science - need one more course, no lab required
Non U.S. History/Culture - done
Social/Behavioral Science - done
US Govt/History - done
Liberal Arts 62/60
Upper Division Credits 30/30
Free Electives 20/24
Math - done

Psych major: 6/39.  I really don't want to stay in psych, because I don't want to have to get a master's to get a job.

Sorry for your troubles.  Hopefully you can put up with the current situation long enough to get yourself into a better situation.
I've just realized that COSC's Medical Terminology is 3 credits while the TECEP is 1 credit. On the other hand, SDC's Medical Terminology is still just 2 credits. So I think it won't matter. Taking the TECEP would save you $20-150 over taking it at SDC - depending on whether or not you needed to pay for an entire month at SDC or if you took it in the same month as accounting & strategic management.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help finding a graduate program that will take really old TV Production Credits lisarox 24 2,446 08-23-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: wow
  CS Bachelor International High School Graduate ASP_0705 4 676 06-21-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: ASP_0705
  Graduate TAMUC>UMPI graduatemore 7 966 03-21-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  I finished my degree but still need 26 credits to graduate??? jesssem 8 836 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Advice Needed - Competency-based graduate degrees that allow acceleration priceaction 14 1,217 01-02-2024, 09:36 PM
  Hi! Prospective law school student. Need 30-ish credits to graduate within 6 months. CaughtInTheRye12 23 2,481 12-28-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Counseling from a recent high school graduate Sincere seekers 12 1,041 08-25-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  130+ credits and no degree, help me graduate! smdeox 27 3,314 05-31-2023, 10:04 PM
  Thoughts for a new high school graduate? savvyg 18 1,862 05-30-2023, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Which of the big 3 are cheapest if you have all credits required to graduate already? Randyb100 37 5,738 05-22-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: dfrecore