Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP.....Introduction to educational psychology CLEP exam
Hi,
(I am a Physical Therapist and need 22 general education credits)

I have to appear in 3 CLEP exams on 20th and 21st December 2016.
Principles of management
Introductory sociology
Introduction to educational psychology

The first 2 subjects are not giving trouble but somehow Educational Psychology is giving me panic attack.....I have taken a couple of prep test but in every test there are 2-3 new (unread by me) concepts .... it feels the subject is HUGE and no matter how much I am prepared there is always a new word, definition, theory or concept which was not in the text books I have studied.....I have the list of topics from CLEP course outline for all three subjects.

Anyone who has taken this exam please tell how much MORE do I need to study as only 20 days are left in exam and is the course outline by CLEP enough to pass the exam.

Any last days tips for Introduction to sociology and Principles of management would be helpful too.

TIA
One of my children used Free CLEP and DSST Practice Tests - http://www.Free-Clep-Prep.com for CLEP Management and made a very high score. It is an easy test and the linked study guide is short and good.

Both of my kids and I passed CLEP Sociology by using https://www.amazon.com/CLEP%C2%AE-Introd...+Sociology

The REA Educational Psychology book is a bit dated but still has good reviews. -Introduction-Educational-Psychology-Preparation/dp/0738601292/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8" target="_blank" class="mycode_url">https://www.amazon.com/CLEPÂ-Introducti...op?ie=UTF8
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I took it last month. I'm a teacher, so a lot of it felt like common sense for the "what is the best way to teach this" type questions. I think you can get a few questions out of the way by remembering that the best way to teach something is always the hands-on, student-centered approach. Let them do the exploring and teacher takes a side role. Another "common sense" things is that motivation is best when it's intrinsic rather than giving treats/rewards to the students. And when they're not doing well, you should praise their successes.

I really think a lot of it is common sense if you just keep in mind that education is meant to help students grow, cooperate, find goals in life, be hands-on, etc. If there's an answer along those lines, you're good. The lowest level is rote memorization and definitions, the highest level is having students create, analyze, problem-solve. We've all been in school so we all have experience with what a good classroom looks like. Also be prepared for a lot of terms about cognitive development, Piaget, etc. I used this website to help prepare. Just have a brief understanding of most terms and you should be fine.

For sociology, I exclusively used the Cliffs Notes and it was fine. I took DSST Supervision, which is very similar to CLEP Management, and used the Cliffs Notes for that too. I felt very prepared.
HiraAliD Wrote:Hi,
(I am a Physical Therapist and need 22 general education credits)

I have to appear in 3 CLEP exams on 20th and 21st December 2016.
Principles of management
Introductory sociology
Introduction to educational psychology

The first 2 subjects are not giving trouble but somehow Educational Psychology is giving me panic attack.....I have taken a couple of prep test but in every test there are 2-3 new (unread by me) concepts .... it feels the subject is HUGE and no matter how much I am prepared there is always a new word, definition, theory or concept which was not in the text books I have studied.....I have the list of topics from CLEP course outline for all three subjects.

Anyone who has taken this exam please tell how much MORE do I need to study as only 20 days are left in exam and is the course outline by CLEP enough to pass the exam.

Any last days tips for Introduction to sociology and Principles of management would be helpful too.

TIA

First thing... Breathe!!

Ok now that you have done that, if you haven't taken CLEP exams before you won't know going in that you cant possibly study every single concept or term. Many make the mistake of going way to deep when studying for these test and overload themselves. I recommend using the REA CLEP test prep books. They seems to cover everything you will need to know to PASS... Keyword is PASS not Ace it, not get an 80, but to PASS the exam. Most schools give a pass/fail for CLEP exams so scoring a 70 looks no different then scoring a 50(assuming your school is 50). If you don't want to purchase the REA guide you can always sign up for a month of Instacert here and you can study for all three exams for the month price.

Education Psych - after looking this one up Instacert is probably a better value
https://www.amazon.com/CLEP%C2%AE-Introd...psychology

A question for you , have you taken the Intro to Psych CLEP or Course, and/or the Human Growth and Development CLEP and/or course. Psych and Human Growth and Development build you up for Educational Psych.

SIDE NOTES:
1. Principle of Management is supposed to be the easiest CLEP according to free-clep-prep.com , I'd make sure to have the terms down and basic concepts.
2. Sociology was an easy CLEP exam, best tips for you, know the TERMS, and the People behind theories and what those theory's are. I managed a 55 but my style of prep was wrong for that one.
3. If you don't want to pay for prep materials you can go here Introduction to Educational Psychology CLEP Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Thanks everyone for the replies
rrr Wrote:I took it last month. I'm a teacher, so a lot of it felt like common sense for the "what is the best way to teach this" type questions. I think you can get a few questions out of the way by remembering that the best way to teach something is always the hands-on, student-centered approach. Let them do the exploring and teacher takes a side role. Another "common sense" things is that motivation is best when it's intrinsic rather than giving treats/rewards to the students. And when they're not doing well, you should praise their successes.

I really think a lot of it is common sense if you just keep in mind that education is meant to help students grow, cooperate, find goals in life, be hands-on, etc. If there's an answer along those lines, you're good. The lowest level is rote memorization and definitions, the highest level is having students create, analyze, problem-solve. We've all been in school so we all have experience with what a good classroom looks like. Also be prepared for a lot of terms about cognitive development, Piaget, etc. I used this website to help prepare. Just have a brief understanding of most terms and you should be fine.

For sociology, I exclusively used the Cliffs Notes and it was fine. I took DSST Supervision, which is very similar to CLEP Management, and used the Cliffs Notes for that too. I felt very prepared.

rrr............Thanks a lot for the tips !!!!!
I have been looking for someone who has given Ed Psy ...but for some time I felt I am the only one who wants to appear.....I will keep it in mind in next prep test.
Synicaal Wrote:First thing... Breathe!!

Ok now that you have done that, if you haven't taken CLEP exams before you won't know going in that you cant possibly study every single concept or term. Many make the mistake of going way to deep when studying for these test and overload themselves. I recommend using the REA CLEP test prep books. They seems to cover everything you will need to know to PASS... Keyword is PASS not Ace it, not get an 80, but to PASS the exam. Most schools give a pass/fail for CLEP exams so scoring a 70 looks no different then scoring a 50(assuming your school is 50). If you don't want to purchase the REA guide you can always sign up for a month of Instacert here and you can study for all three exams for the month price.

Education Psych - after looking this one up Instacert is probably a better value
https://www.amazon.com/CLEP%C2%AE-Introd...psychology

A question for you , have you taken the Intro to Psych CLEP or Course, and/or the Human Growth and Development CLEP and/or course. Psych and Human Growth and Development build you up for Educational Psych.

SIDE NOTES:
1. Principle of Management is supposed to be the easiest CLEP according to free-clep-prep.com , I'd make sure to have the terms down and basic concepts.
2. Sociology was an easy CLEP exam, best tips for you, know the TERMS, and the People behind theories and what those theory's are. I managed a 55 but my style of prep was wrong for that one.
3. If you don't want to pay for prep materials you can go here Introduction to Educational Psychology CLEP Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com

Phew....!
Its Introduction to Educational Psychology.....and YES its the first time I am giving CLEP and after a very very long time studying something DIFFERENT than my medical text books!!
I got 72 out of 100 in Principles of Management on practice test.
I just want to get above 70 in all three subject just to be sure that the scaled score in the end will fall in passing percentage.

Thank you for the immediate help....now I can eat something and breathe !!
how in the world are you a Physical Therapist ?

PT is a doctorate degree

why would you be taking 1st year undergrad CLEPs
bluebooger Wrote:how in the world are you a Physical Therapist ?

PT is a doctorate degree

why would you be taking 1st year undergrad CLEPs

I am a foreign qualified Physical Therapist .... just short of few credits after going though credential evaluation....AND DPT is recently introduced....before that it was Bachelor's degree...thats why even after doing the DPT from my own country ... my entry level degree is still Bachelors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning way ahead and stuck on psychology licensure kmao2004 4 391 06-16-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,784 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 3,123 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Educational Goals bjcheung77 6 587 03-10-2024, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Affordable Educational Institution Consultant 16 2,080 01-29-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Woolf University - Educational Partnership & Institutions bjcheung77 23 3,748 01-21-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Erasec63
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,777 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 663 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 1,107 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 810 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis