Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP American History & Info Literacy Questions
Which do you find easier:

CLEP's American History or Saylor's Intro to Politics? (I'm enrolled into Saylor's BUS 210 and think it's challenging.)

I need advice for which study materials to purchase.

1.) Should I purchase the CLEP Official Study Guide 2017 even if I plan to take the exam in the coming weeks?
2.) Will the manual/test completely have changed in the 2016 Official Study guide version?
3.) What is the time frame from the time I sign up for a test and I have to take it? How long does it take to prepare for a CLEP test?
4.) Should I additionally purchase an American History and Analyzing and Interpretation Lit study guide to compliment the Official Study Guide?

Thank you for your help and info!
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
I don't think Saylor has any college approved courses that are cohesive. They jump from the textbook, to journals, to lectures, to blogs, etc... The price is great, but that is about it. I don't understand why they can't pull from 2 or 3 sources. Have the textbook as the main source. Then lectures from one professor. Then one site with practice problems. Instead you listen and read notes from a bunch of different people. And they have practice math problems spread out all over the place. Seems like every unit has you having to create an account somewhere new.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
OakLakeNC Wrote:I don't think Saylor has any college approved courses that are cohesive. They jump from the textbook, to journals, to lectures, to blogs, etc... The price is great, but that is about it. I don't understand why they can't pull from 2 or 3 sources. Have the textbook as the main source. Then lectures from one professor. Then one site with practice problems. Instead you listen and read notes from a bunch of different people. And they have practice math problems spread out all over the place. Seems like every unit has you having to create an account somewhere new.
I've never had to create an account to access one of their sources, but I can see how that could be. Because they don't pay the sources of the information, they have to limit themselves to material that is Creative Commons or public domain licensed. That limitation is likely the reason for the disjointedness. I wish they would just collect the information onto servers that they control so that the links don't break. However that takes money as well, both for the servers and for editors to keep it up to date.

What they COULD do would be to recommend textbooks that the student could choose to purchase as an alternative study platform. Then the problem would be that their lesson plans would have to be reworked to be compatible with the textbooks.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The Biology 101 class sends you to Khan Academy a lot. And they have a textbook from OpenStax. The textbook is good. Really good- up to date, well written and comprehensive. It is just as good as any expensive textbook at a college bookstore. Between Khan Academy and the book you should be able to get introductory cell biology.

Instead they also have you signing up for a free trail at Open Learning Initiative and also watching lectures/ reading articles by different professors. And going to different museum websites to read/watch. Those parts are unnecessary IMO.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI?? Vle045 26 1,225 08-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Master of Letters in History dewisant 4 503 06-28-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,798 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  American Public University? nomaduser 44 6,083 05-18-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 55 9,543 05-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,497 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  International GCSE Sciences (EU/UK) Info bjcheung77 6 493 05-07-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 3,129 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 500 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  European-American University Degree Mill elcastor21 21 3,603 11-08-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Johann