Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate school applications and pass/fail credits during undergrad?
NAP, thank you! Any connections I can get could definitely be useful! Sometimes it ends up being about who you know, as sad as that is.

cookderosa, does your school offer microbiology online, and do they allow guest students who are not earning their degree through your school? I am mostly in need of upper level credits at this point, which is the hard part. However, I would still love to take microbiology rather than learning it all on my own for the GRE, and it does not appear that your college requires chemistry in order to take it (just an intro bio course). I can fumble my way through chemistry as needed, but I would prefer not to have to take a course when it is not needed just to fill a prereq.

Regardless of whether I take all coursework or go the GRE route, I want to take the GRE and do well on it so as to present it with my application. A high GRE subject score will certainly not hurt my application.

Goodness, I had no idea. I would have thought with so many people on this forum, surely there would have been some who went on to University of Chicago. If I do get in, I will be sure to stop back to help others out as they have so kindly helped me!

I am thinking my best bet may just be to get most of my bio credits via courses. I CAN do it, but I will have to spread them out along a long string in order to afford them all. I am thinking I will take one more LL course with a lab (probably microbio) and 2 more UL courses with labs. Then only 3 of my LL credits and 4 of my UL credits would be from the GRE. Of course, that is dependent upon what UoC says.

I am hoping that my credits for my gen eds will be fine as pass/fail, since many of them are. I would think that would be far less important. All of my credits from my minour and most/all of my credits for my majour will be from coursework.
PROGRESS: Last semester and accepted into a PhD program!
cookderosa Wrote:Admissions Policies (Clovis Community College. Cheapest online labs/science classes around, I know lots of people who attend here )

Thanks for posting this, Jen. We used to live right by there in Las Cruces, NM! Funny to see little 'ol Clovis as a possibility for online courses. Do they have incredible tuition or what?!
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"]Margo
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][B][B]"By endurance, we conquer"[/B][/B][/SIZE] [SIZE="2"] [SIZE="1"] ~ Sir Ernest Shackleton[/SIZE][/SIZE]
for a total of 18

CLEP done through 2010:
U.S. History II (66)
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit (70)
Introduction to Sociology (71)
Social Sciences & History (70)
College Mathematics (57) :o

Hoped for end result before arthritis sets in:
BA in Art, Liberal Studies, or Humanities[/SIZE]
LatinTea Wrote:Thanks for posting this, Jen. We used to live right by there in Las Cruces, NM! Funny to see little 'ol Clovis as a possibility for online courses. Do they have incredible tuition or what?!
>>

Oh yes! CCC is bookmarked in my faves. I know several online pals who use Clovis, and if or when the time comes that I need more undergrad credit- that's where I'm getting it!

Does my college (lol, not really mine) offer micro online? I think they do, but you'll have to check the schedule- we are part of a 7-college online consortium, so the online classes rotate through all of us. That, and I don't teach in that dept Smile

If we don't , try Clovis, and if they don't- try the other community college in my town. I don't work here, but have taken courses as a student- so have my kids. Pretty cheap. It's called Black Hawk College Black Hawk College

Speaking of this adding a lot of time to your plan- I wanted to add in a little known fact- both my local colleges (and others I'm sure) offer winter break mini-mesters. I have taken them too. It's a full 3 credits crammed into 14 days. Gotta love a free market economy. The mini-mesters overlap slightly at both the colleges Black Hawk College EICCD - Eastern Iowa Community College District so while they all cap credit- you can enroll at both and knock out 12 graded classroom credits in roughly 18 days. There are science options, not many, but some if you're just looking for any bio/chem and not too picky. Registration is fierce, they fill and wait-list within a few days.
What is the cost per credit for Clovis? They all say "$50.00 fee" for the online courses, but I do not see anywhere that it lists cost per credit.

cookderosa Wrote:Speaking of this adding a lot of time to your plan- I wanted to add in a little known fact- both my local colleges (and others I'm sure) offer winter break mini-mesters. I have taken them too. It's a full 3 credits crammed into 14 days. Gotta love a free market economy. The mini-mesters overlap slightly at both the colleges Black Hawk College EICCD - Eastern Iowa Community College District so while they all cap credit- you can enroll at both and knock out 12 graded classroom credits in roughly 18 days. There are science options, not many, but some if you're just looking for any bio/chem and not too picky. Registration is fierce, they fill and wait-list within a few days.

Wow, that would be fantastic! I will have to see if there are any available during the breaks in my semesters! I have done 4 week courses before, and they are not too hard. A 2 week course would certainly be whirlwind, but heck, if I can handle 21-30 credits a semester and work full time, I should be able to handle a 2 week course if I am not working on anything else! Too bad it is such short notice, as I have 8 weeks coming up with no classes (just exams).
It's $110 per CLASS. They let you pay in-state if you take 6 or fewer credits.
cookderosa Wrote:It's $110 per CLASS. They let you pay in-state if you take 6 or fewer credits.

Wow, so $160 for the entire thing with the online fee? That is...incredible!

Pay in state? As in the fees for out of state students are the same as in-state students if you take 6 or less credits? What if you take more?
argentnox Wrote:Wow, so $160 for the entire thing with the online fee? That is...incredible!

Pay in state? As in the fees for out of state students are the same as in-state students if you take 6 or less credits? What if you take more?
>>

If you take more, they jack the price hilarious
LOL. To what, though? I think chemistry is the only thing I will take through them (4 credits).
Great resource! I will pass that 2 week course idea onto my son. That is a wonderful way to save some time and money. AND get graded credits to boot. AND what a totally cool name. Why can't one of the big three be called "Black Hawk College"? Big Grin

I'm off to check out the website.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][B][B]"By endurance, we conquer"[/B][/B][/SIZE] [SIZE="2"] [SIZE="1"] ~ Sir Ernest Shackleton[/SIZE][/SIZE]
for a total of 18

CLEP done through 2010:
U.S. History II (66)

I called and talked with a lady at Black Hawk College. She told me that their campus (the East one) doesn't offer online mini-mesters; they are on campus only. She said the other campus may offer one in the winter (I didn't call them for verification of that though). Their online courses are $110 per credit hour so that's not too bad. I'll keep them in mind though 'cuz our CC here in the Twin Cities is about $190 per credit hour.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

for a total of 18

CLEP done through 2010:
U.S. History II (66)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 24 859 11 hours ago
Last Post: Duneranger
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,855 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 56 9,698 09-12-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: slammX
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 875 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Does any institution apply over 90 transfer credits? hlg38 7 756 08-24-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring credits ecomony 8 442 08-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,722 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,352 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 218 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,438 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone