Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franklin University experiences?
Franklin U offers a BS in Entrepreneurship. Although they cost more per credit than Regent and Liberty for me (veteran), they allow 90 credits too, and the courses in the program look better to me.

Does anybody have any experience? There is very little said about Franklin here, and I'm not sure why?

More writing or tests? Good format? what else?
Working towards:
  • BS Business @ Excelsior
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
Costing more and only taking 90 credits are big downsides, which is probably why Franklin U isn't really mentioned here.

30 credits @ $250 (for current military members) = $7500
30 credits @ $398 (everyone else) = $11940
30 credits @ $526 (international students) = $15780

This doesn't even count the cost of textbooks and other fees that they may charge. After taking that into account, I'm pretty sure that TESU's BSBA Entrepreneurship would be both cheaper and faster. Most (if not all) of their degrees likely have cheaper alternatives at TESU or UMPI. Even SNHU is a bit cheaper at $320/credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
There's no Study.com equivalent list.

Without that, it would be hard to map out 90 credits to transfer.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-23-2023, 04:16 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Costing more and only taking 90 credits are big downsides, which is probably why Franklin U isn't really mentioned here.

This doesn't even count the cost of textbooks and other fees that they may charge. After taking that into account, I'm pretty sure that TESU's BSBA Entrepreneurship would be both cheaper and faster. Most (if not all) of their degrees likely have cheaper alternatives at TESU or UMPI. Even SNHU is a bit cheaper at $320/credit.

Doesn't TESU have a 30 credit residency requirement now? If so, that would be the same thing.
Working towards:
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
I enjoyed the bachelor of social science I did there. They have a Canvas LMS that I prefer and the courses I took were a bit writing intensive (depending on the course, mine had mostly all humanities so it was more writing). There is a lot of power point presentations. There was like two classes that were only six or so assignments for the entire course and the majority had 2-4 assignments a week.
Professors were responsive and it was very chill.
I really liked everything about it and would go through it again.
EDITED TO ADD: See if you meet the requirements for an associate degree as you work on your bachelor. I transferred in a metric ton of Sophia courses and some from other colleges and had enough to meet the requirements for my associate.
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - June 2025

Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 2 users Like TINASAM's post:
  • origamishuttle, SCYankee
(02-23-2023, 08:03 PM)SCYankee Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 04:16 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Costing more and only taking 90 credits are big downsides, which is probably why Franklin U isn't really mentioned here.

Doesn't TESU have a 30 credit residency requirement now? If so, that would be the same thing.

No, TESU has a 30cr requirement of RA courses, and 6cr of that will be the cornerstone and capstone.  So you need to bring in 24cr of RA; some people already have that (went to college in the past, or live in a state with "free" community college).  You can also do 8 TECEP exams.  Or ASU/UL courses for $425 each.

If you want to do residency at TESU, you can do 1 16cr term for $4,778.  So if you did 2 15cr terms there, that would be less than 10k, which would be a bit cheaper than Franklin.  But most don't do this.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
As a veteran, can't he also use TECEPs towards residency requirements? Or is that only for active military?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(02-23-2023, 08:39 PM)jsd Wrote: As a veteran, can't he also use TECEPs towards residency requirements? Or is that only for active military?

It's only for students who are able to get the military rate. Military rate at TESU is supposed to be active military. It doesn't hurt to ask for it as a veteran, but it probably won't be granted.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(02-23-2023, 08:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 08:03 PM)SCYankee Wrote:

No, TESU has a 30cr requirement of RA courses, and 6cr of that will be the cornerstone and capstone.  So you need to bring in 24cr of RA; some people already have that (went to college in the past, or live in a state with "free" community college).  You can also do 8 TECEP exams.  Or ASU/UL courses for $425 each.

If you want to do residency at TESU, you can do 1 16cr term for $4,778.  So if you did 2 15cr terms there, that would be less than 10k, which would be a bit cheaper than Franklin.  But most don't do this.

So, the solution of taking 8 Teceps (or even some Excelsior tests), which is only 24 credits, works because capstone and cornerstone are 3 each, which makes 30 total?

But, do I need to pay the $4k to be able to take Teceps? or how does that work?

I know if I take the TESU route, I have to pay something for enrollment, or maybe residency waiver, just to be able to pay for the cornerstone and capstone. It's all a lot more confusing than just paying for courses elsewhere.
Working towards:
TECEPs are $52/credit for LL and $77/credit for UL. If you take all LL exams, it'd be $1248 for the exams. If you took all UL exams, it'd be $1848. Even if you have to take 1 or 2 exams twice, that's still cheaper than the residency waiver. The rough process for TESU would be:

1. Apply to TESU; send in whatever transcripts you already have.
2. Sign up for the Medical Terminology TECEP. You do not have to take this one. It is only to get all of your transcripts evaluated.
3. Once you have your completed evaluation, start taking TECEPs that fill in the gaps. For instance, you may need to take the English Comp II TECEP depending on which English Comp CLEP you took and when you took it.
4. Fill out any remaining credits with SDC and/or Sophia.
5. Graduate.

If you do not qualify for Military rate for whatever reason, TECEPs do not count toward residency and the options would be to take a 16-credit flat-rate term at TESU (not as bad as it sounds) or else pay the waiver fee.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 273 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  question on Ohio University accepting Sophia credits EducationSeeker 5 651 04-25-2024, 10:06 AM
  Interdisciplinary from Liberty University Hami8665 3 477 04-16-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Any University of Wisconsin-Parkside Alum? CFPhopeful 9 928 01-18-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 756 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  Excelsior University UL courses hoffdeb 7 993 08-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Thoughts on Walden University Early Childhood Studies BS Seeker203 3 883 06-22-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  TESU BA CS Degree - Second degree, first degree from Canadian university ItsNeverTheLionsYear 7 1,245 05-05-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  Best University for an international student Csco01 10 1,419 03-07-2023, 10:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  College/University Choices - Help Indy73 6 966 10-10-2022, 12:47 PM