Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Franklin University experiences? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Franklin University experiences? (/Thread-Franklin-University-experiences)

Pages: 1 2

Franklin University experiences? - SCYankee - 02-23-2023

Franklin U offers a BS in Entrepreneurship. Although they cost more per credit than Regent and Liberty for me (veteran), they allow 90 credits too, and the courses in the program look better to me.

Does anybody have any experience? There is very little said about Franklin here, and I'm not sure why?

More writing or tests? Good format? what else?

RE: Franklin University experiences? - rachel83az - 02-23-2023

Costing more and only taking 90 credits are big downsides, which is probably why Franklin U isn't really mentioned here.

30 credits @ $250 (for current military members) = $7500
30 credits @ $398 (everyone else) = $11940
30 credits @ $526 (international students) = $15780

This doesn't even count the cost of textbooks and other fees that they may charge. After taking that into account, I'm pretty sure that TESU's BSBA Entrepreneurship would be both cheaper and faster. Most (if not all) of their degrees likely have cheaper alternatives at TESU or UMPI. Even SNHU is a bit cheaper at $320/credit.

RE: Franklin University experiences? - LevelUP - 02-23-2023

There's no Study.com equivalent list.

Without that, it would be hard to map out 90 credits to transfer.

RE: Franklin University experiences? - SCYankee - 02-23-2023

(02-23-2023, 04:16 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Costing more and only taking 90 credits are big downsides, which is probably why Franklin U isn't really mentioned here.

This doesn't even count the cost of textbooks and other fees that they may charge. After taking that into account, I'm pretty sure that TESU's BSBA Entrepreneurship would be both cheaper and faster. Most (if not all) of their degrees likely have cheaper alternatives at TESU or UMPI. Even SNHU is a bit cheaper at $320/credit.

Doesn't TESU have a 30 credit residency requirement now? If so, that would be the same thing.

RE: Franklin University experiences? - TINASAM - 02-23-2023

I enjoyed the bachelor of social science I did there. They have a Canvas LMS that I prefer and the courses I took were a bit writing intensive (depending on the course, mine had mostly all humanities so it was more writing). There is a lot of power point presentations. There was like two classes that were only six or so assignments for the entire course and the majority had 2-4 assignments a week.
Professors were responsive and it was very chill.
I really liked everything about it and would go through it again.
EDITED TO ADD: See if you meet the requirements for an associate degree as you work on your bachelor. I transferred in a metric ton of Sophia courses and some from other colleges and had enough to meet the requirements for my associate.

RE: Franklin University experiences? - dfrecore - 02-23-2023

(02-23-2023, 08:03 PM)SCYankee Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 04:16 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Costing more and only taking 90 credits are big downsides, which is probably why Franklin U isn't really mentioned here.

Doesn't TESU have a 30 credit residency requirement now? If so, that would be the same thing.

No, TESU has a 30cr requirement of RA courses, and 6cr of that will be the cornerstone and capstone.  So you need to bring in 24cr of RA; some people already have that (went to college in the past, or live in a state with "free" community college).  You can also do 8 TECEP exams.  Or ASU/UL courses for $425 each.

If you want to do residency at TESU, you can do 1 16cr term for $4,778.  So if you did 2 15cr terms there, that would be less than 10k, which would be a bit cheaper than Franklin.  But most don't do this.

RE: Franklin University experiences? - jsd - 02-23-2023

As a veteran, can't he also use TECEPs towards residency requirements? Or is that only for active military?

RE: Franklin University experiences? - rachel83az - 02-24-2023

(02-23-2023, 08:39 PM)jsd Wrote: As a veteran, can't he also use TECEPs towards residency requirements? Or is that only for active military?

It's only for students who are able to get the military rate. Military rate at TESU is supposed to be active military. It doesn't hurt to ask for it as a veteran, but it probably won't be granted.

RE: Franklin University experiences? - SCYankee - 02-28-2023

(02-23-2023, 08:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 08:03 PM)SCYankee Wrote:

No, TESU has a 30cr requirement of RA courses, and 6cr of that will be the cornerstone and capstone.  So you need to bring in 24cr of RA; some people already have that (went to college in the past, or live in a state with "free" community college).  You can also do 8 TECEP exams.  Or ASU/UL courses for $425 each.

If you want to do residency at TESU, you can do 1 16cr term for $4,778.  So if you did 2 15cr terms there, that would be less than 10k, which would be a bit cheaper than Franklin.  But most don't do this.

So, the solution of taking 8 Teceps (or even some Excelsior tests), which is only 24 credits, works because capstone and cornerstone are 3 each, which makes 30 total?

But, do I need to pay the $4k to be able to take Teceps? or how does that work?

I know if I take the TESU route, I have to pay something for enrollment, or maybe residency waiver, just to be able to pay for the cornerstone and capstone. It's all a lot more confusing than just paying for courses elsewhere.

RE: Franklin University experiences? - rachel83az - 02-28-2023

TECEPs are $52/credit for LL and $77/credit for UL. If you take all LL exams, it'd be $1248 for the exams. If you took all UL exams, it'd be $1848. Even if you have to take 1 or 2 exams twice, that's still cheaper than the residency waiver. The rough process for TESU would be:

1. Apply to TESU; send in whatever transcripts you already have.
2. Sign up for the Medical Terminology TECEP. You do not have to take this one. It is only to get all of your transcripts evaluated.
3. Once you have your completed evaluation, start taking TECEPs that fill in the gaps. For instance, you may need to take the English Comp II TECEP depending on which English Comp CLEP you took and when you took it.
4. Fill out any remaining credits with SDC and/or Sophia.
5. Graduate.

If you do not qualify for Military rate for whatever reason, TECEPs do not count toward residency and the options would be to take a 16-credit flat-rate term at TESU (not as bad as it sounds) or else pay the waiver fee.