Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Excelsior Business Degree Plan Help
I created an EU business degree plan and I want to make sure that I have the correct information regarding course fulfillment. It has been a bit confusing figuring out exactly what courses will transfer in as, so I hope that this plan is accurate. If there is anything that I am overlooking or misinformed about, I would appreciate any insight you may be able to provide. Thank you

.xlsx   Excelsior Business Degree Plan.xlsx (Size: 10.97 KB / Downloads: 33)
[-] The following 1 user Likes NBM123's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
Intro to Ethics won't count, you actually have to take Business Ethics
Intro to Web Development is not an A&S, it's a free elective (swap with Visual Communications)
Organizational Behavior goes in SocSci/History area
Quantitative Analysis fits in Math area
Apparently, Sophia's Principles of Management comes in as UL
Business 313: Organizational Communication is not a business course, it's an UL Humanities course
Not certain LawShelf's EMP-301: Protection for Employees comes in as UL or as a business course (my guess - maybe)
Not certain LawShelf's CON-101: Basics of Contract Law comes in as as a business course (my guess - nope)
Not certain LawShelf's EMP-101 Employment & Employee Benefits comes in as as a business course (my guess - maybe)

So if I'm you, I'm contacting EU to find out about the LawShelf courses prior to taking them. Please report back when you find out.

For Psych & Soc, I'm skipping Sophia and doing CLEP or Study.com. Sophia is only a good deal when you're mostly taking courses without touchstones - once you get to the courses where you have to do papers, and they're taking 10 business days to grade, you lose.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-22-2022, 05:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Not certain LawShelf's EMP-301: Protection for Employees comes in as UL or as a business course (my guess - maybe)
Not certain LawShelf's CON-101: Basics of Contract Law comes in as as a business course (my guess - nope)
Not certain LawShelf's EMP-101 Employment & Employee Benefits comes in as as a business course (my guess - maybe)

So if I'm you, I'm contacting EU to find out about the LawShelf courses prior to taking them.  Please report back when you find out.

LawShelf has their course equivalencies with Excelsior up: https://lawshelf.com/assets/pdf/Excelsior.pdf

EMP-301 transfers as an upper-level business elective
CON-101 transfers as a lower-level business elective
EMP-101 transfers in as a lower-level business elective
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Yes, LawShelf already has a equivalency for their courses set or established with Excelsior. Depends on your preference, Excelsior takes ACE/NCCRS, I would max it out with Sophia.org/CLEP and LawShelf, if you want you can check out Davar Academy and other NCCRS options as well...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-22-2022, 05:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Intro to Ethics won't count, you actually have to take Business Ethics
Intro to Web Development is not an A&S, it's a free elective (swap with Visual Communications)
Business 313: Organizational Communication is not a business course, it's an UL Humanities course
Not certain LawShelf's EMP-301: Protection for Employees comes in as UL or as a business course (my guess - maybe)

So if I'm you, I'm contacting EU to find out about the LawShelf courses prior to taking them.  Please report back when you find out.

For Psych & Soc, I'm skipping Sophia and doing CLEP or Study.com.  Sophia is only a good deal when you're mostly taking courses without touchstones - once you get to the courses where you have to do papers, and they're taking 10 business days to grade, you lose.

Thank you for the evaluation. It was extremely helpful. I have made the changes that you suggested and updated the degree plan. Is there anything else that I am overlooking or that would not transfer the way that it is now written? 

.xlsx   Excelsior Business Degree Plan.xlsx (Size: 11 KB / Downloads: 9)

I have updated the degree plan and would appreciate any insight that you may have. I am meticulous and want to ensure that I have all my bases covered. According to my calculations, a business degree will cost me anywhere between $3,590-$4,390 plus the cost to transfer credits. 
  • 7 Credits (3 courses) from Excelsior with Military discount: 250 per credit + 20 per course exam + 125 graduation fee = $1,935
  • 1 Course from Coopersmith: $150
  • 3 Courses from LawShelf: $35 each = $105
  • 8 Courses through Study: $200 each = $1,600 (giving 1 month per course, although it could be $800, if 2 are done in a month)
  • 1 year of Sophia : $600
  • CLEP Tests: Free through Modern States
         TOTAL COST: Between $3,590 - $4,390 + Credit Transfer Cost
This degree plan is for my 2 teens, and although I recognize that a business degree for this price is AMAZING, I am open to any and all suggestions to make it even cheaper if possible. Thank you!

.xlsx   Excelsior Business Degree Plan.xlsx (Size: 11.01 KB / Downloads: 10)
(08-23-2022, 11:17 AM)NBM123 Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 05:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Intro to Ethics won't count, you actually have to take Business Ethics

For Psych & Soc, I'm skipping Sophia and doing CLEP or Study.com.  Sophia is only a good deal when you're mostly taking courses without touchstones - once you get to the courses where you have to do papers, and they're taking 10 business days to grade, you lose.

Thank you for the evaluation. It was extremely helpful. I have made the changes that you suggested and updated the degree plan. Is there anything else that I am overlooking or that would not transfer the way that it is now written? 

I have updated the degree plan and would appreciate any insight that you may have. I am meticulous and want to ensure that I have all my bases covered. According to my calculations, a business degree will cost me anywhere between $3,590-$4,390 plus the cost to transfer credits. 
  • 7 Credits (3 courses) from Excelsior with Military discount: 250 per credit + 20 per course exam + 125 graduation fee = $1,935
  • 8 Courses through Study: $200 each = $1,600 (giving 1 month per course, although it could be $800, if 2 are done in a month)
This degree plan is for my 2 teens, and although I recognize that a business degree for this price is AMAZING, I am open to any and all suggestions to make it even cheaper if possible. Thank you!

Following. 

My 18 year old son has transferred 57 credits from Sophia to Excelsior for a BS- Business, just this month. We are hoping to get his degree by 2024, for as cheap as possible too. His 16 year old brother has knocked out all the same classes on Sophia, so it will be double cost for us. I haven't mapped it out quite as inexpensive as your plan, but we should still be under 10k for each degree. Oh, and I'm getting mine too, so there's that.

On my son's MAP from EU, Sophia's Intro to Ethics came in and fulfilled the Ethics requirement. I was shocked. But, Sophia's Eng Comp II did not satisfy the second Written English requirement (listed as ENG 202: Business Writing). I was shocked about that one too. So now we are looking for a quick and cheap fulfillment. I think Coppersmith has it, but I'm still looking. We have not ventured outside of Sophia yet.
Study.com has an English course that should come in as English Comp II to fill the requirement. https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-29-2022, 03:24 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Study.com has an English course that should come in as English Comp II to fill the requirement. https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html

Thanks! I'll check into it when we move on from Sophia to Studydotcom. I think EU has the Business Writing as the second Written English requirement because it is for their BS-Business. I'm pretty sure that if we were going for EU's BSLA, Sophia's Eng Comp II would have fulfilled the second Written English requirement. But, I'm sill learning all of the nuances, so I really don't know, and appreciate any and all insight.
Basically, I would recommend creating a thread for yourself or your sons, attach or better yet, link us to your spreadsheet and we'll look at what you currently have planned. It's great to see the whole picture when planning and you'll know where each course goes in which slot requirement.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-29-2022, 03:12 PM)BalzeikChic Wrote:
(08-23-2022, 11:17 AM)NBM123 Wrote:

Following. 

My 18 year old son has transferred 57 credits from Sophia to Excelsior for a BS- Business, just this month. We are hoping to get his degree by 2024, for as cheap as possible too. His 16 year old brother has knocked out all the same classes on Sophia, so it will be double cost for us. I haven't mapped it out quite as inexpensive as your plan, but we should still be under 10k for each degree. Oh, and I'm getting mine too, so there's that.

On my son's MAP from EU, Sophia's Intro to Ethics came in and fulfilled the Ethics requirement. I was shocked. But, Sophia's Eng Comp II did not satisfy the second Written English requirement (listed as ENG 202: Business Writing). I was shocked about that one too. So now we are looking for a quick and cheap fulfillment. I think Coppersmith has it, but I'm still looking. We have not ventured outside of Sophia yet.

Thank you Thank you Thank you! Finding out now that Sophia's Composition II would not fulfill the requirement is such a relief, as I can't imagine having my kids do all that work, and not having any of it count. I have heard that Sophia's composition courses are rough with the erratic grading, so that would be a punch to the gut to find out at the very end. I am very shocked that Intro to Ethics was accepted. I have talked to countless people who insisted that it HAD to be Business ethics. I'm wondering if they changed it recently. That would be amazing. Being able to knock out one more course through Sophia rather than paying more for Study is preferable.

(08-29-2022, 03:24 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Study.com has an English course that should come in as English Comp II to fill the requirement. https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html
Do you know why Study's Composition II would fulfill the requirement, but Sophia's Composition II would not. They both are transferable to EU, but if you are specifically needing a Business composition, would either of these be accepted?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 5 325 4 hours ago
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 117 5 hours ago
Last Post: starsfan33
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 267 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 255 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 256 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 207 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 548 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 298 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 307 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
  Degree plan wanted for UK student (CS) FungiTao 1 150 09-13-2024, 07:42 PM