Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exams without practice tests
If your exam, let's say Dantes Art of the Western World, doesn't have a practice test, how do you know when you are ready. I have really come to depend on the practice tests and study guides and this test has neither. I'm lost now. I have the book recommended from the specific feedback forum. Thank you for any guidance you have to offer.
I took my first exam CLEP Principles of Marketing with no practice test. Didn't know about them at the time and I only used one book. I think the practice tests are a great help and convenience, but don't let it be a crutch for you. If you have used the "recommended" book and know the material, that should be all you need to do well. If you feel like you need more sources of information, there's always the google.
This is a great question. I’m in the same boat for Civil War (next week) and Astronomy. I really don’t like not having practice tests for these!

Any tips for us? Thanks a lot.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Not sure about civil war, but I found a little book on Amazon.com; Pass DSST Astronomy the Easy Way. ISBN-10: 1434805468. Its a very quick read and there is a practice test in the back (not multiple choice). I don't remember how many questions were on it (gave it away), but I thought it was very helpful for the Astronomy DSST. I took the practice test about 3 times to make sure I was ready. If you get it, buy it new... the current prices for used are almost 3 times the new price. :confused:
marclar2u Wrote:I took my first exam CLEP Principles of Marketing with no practice test. Didn't know about them at the time and I only used one book. I think the practice tests are a great help and convenience, but don't let it be a crutch for you. If you have used the "recommended" book and know the material, that should be all you need to do well. If you feel like you need more sources of information, there's always the google.

[COLOR="Indigo"]I agree with marclar2u!

Studying the recommended sources and knowing the material thoroughly is your best bet. While the practice tests are a good tool to have, they are just that... one more tool in your "studying toolbox". But not having it doesn't mean you can't get the job done, it just means that you are going to have to utilize the other tools.

Personally, I have found that my IC membership becomes REALLY handy in these types of situations. Reading the feedback from other members is even more beneficial/crucial for me when I don't have the practice tests or even flashcards to supplement my arsenal.

Good luck to you![/COLOR]
Passed So Far Big Grin
A& I Literature (74) US History II (71) American Lit (68) English Lit (63) Intro to Business Law (57) Into to World Religions (451) Ethics in America (423) Information Systems CLEP (66) Social Sciences & History (71) Principles of Management (68) General Anthropology (59) Here's To Your Health (476)
Thank you for all your help, I'll just have to trust my instincts this time. At least it is my last test, my college only allows 30 hours of testing and I'm at 27 now, but testing did save me a year and $8000!
Here's a good source for Astronomy study material. I'm using it and IC and a discount illustrated astronomy book from Borders to study for my test on the 14th of this month.

Astronomy - CliffsNotes

Patrick
CLEP's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]A & I Lit-6CH (62), American Gov't (63), Introductory Business Law (64), History of the United States I (66), Introductory Psychology (61), Introductory Sociology (73), American Literature (63), Macroeconomics (58)[/SIZE]

DSST's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to World Religion (464), Astronomy (70)[/SIZE]

Up Next:
[SIZE="1"] Taking a break![/SIZE]
Thank you all for your suggestions. Not having a practice test is really bothering me, since that is a large part of how I learn the material well. It looks like if I dig deeper I should be able to find more help with this.

marclar2u (peppamint) – Thank you for recommending Pass DSST Astronomy the Easy Way. I had taken the chance and bought it several weeks ago. I’m so glad to know that you did like it for this exam.

Patrick – Thank you for the link. I’ll add it to my resource list. Best wishes on your exam! Please come back and add feedback; I’ll need it in several weeks.

ACoile – I’m sorry for hijacking your thread. It didn’t even occur to me that it might happen. I do have a new thought for both of us. I was looking around and saw a textbook recommended in the specific exam feedback for DSST Art of the Western World. It has an accompanying website that has a 35 question final exam:

Art - Book Companion Site

Click the final exam link on the left.

I don’t know if this particular exam is on target for what you need, but the general idea of finding the websites for textbooks and using their exams to practice could work for future exams.

I hope you do well on your exam!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Don't worry about it, I have done it myself (taken over a thread). I'm just glad we were both able to get help. I will check out that site, any test will help, just something to know that I am absorbing some info!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PMP practice quizzes or exams Kjnova 5 464 08-18-2024, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 346 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 456 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 540 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 7,025 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Anybody taken any certification exams (CPA, CIA, CFE, etc.)? kevinmane 9 2,777 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Anyone Do IQ Tests or a Part of an IQ Society? dewisant 9 1,173 05-13-2022, 06:34 PM
Last Post: creationstory
Information New Batch of Microsoft Exams are now ACE(data, cloud, cs, UL) MNomadic 5 1,587 04-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: jch
  Looking for EQ & IQ Tests online: Anyone? bjcheung77 6 1,156 10-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Cambridge International Exams - A Level or AS Level exams Lydclrk 1 900 09-17-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: nyvrem