Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exams on UMPI vs Study.com / InstantCert
Hi Guys, 

this is my first post here; been a long time lurker, downloaded the famous 6moth BABA plan for UMPI and now going for the degree! Its a great forum here and such a helpful ressource; pretty amazing! 

One question, that popped up while preparing the "external credits". Sophia.org courses are pretty easy and I really like the platform. Im doing all courses there, as suggested in the plan, and then planned to go forward with Study.com and InstantCert. 

Now, after having a look at InstantCert and Study.com, Im thinking about taking them at UMPI (except Bio) and need your opinion on this. 

Why? UMPI doesnt have proctored exams and to be honest, that makes it much more convenient to write an essay over there than making proctored exams on Study or Instantcert.

What do you guys think? Is that a stupid idea? Should I better stick to the plan and do the proctored exam at Study/Instantcert? Or is UMPI maybe easier? 

Thanks again for this great forum and in case anyone needs some help with Sophia.org, let me know! :Smile

Thanks
Philipp
It's totally up to you whether or not you follow the recommendations. ashkir, who came up with the plan, ONLY transferred in courses from Sophia. The ones he recommended are ones that he thought may bey easier taken elsewhere. The plan was also created when some courses were only available during either Session 1 or Session 2 of a semester and not both. Now, that's apparently changed and you can take all courses all of the time.

I would strongly recommend at least InstantCert Spanish, in addition to Bio 101L, unless you are able to take an ACTFL exam for another language.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Hey Rachel,

thanks for your answer Smile

I took the ACTFL OCIs exam in a different language (my native) at languagetesting.com (in case everybody reads this: was great and highly recommend it).

UMPI "Exams" are only written essays or multiple choice, right? Don't want to "discredit" the performance but wouldn't these exams always be easier than the proctored ones from Study or InstantCert? Bad people could easily cheat there, I suppose?

Thanks
Philipp
Most courses at UMPI do not have exams. Less than 25% of classes have an exam. The classes have a paper/project for the Final Assessment far more often than an exam.
Great. Do you maybe have some more informations about this? I had a hard time finding informations regarding the actual exams / tests at UMPI, apart from "they are not proctored". Paper / Project is just something, I write locally and then submit. What are these 25% remaining courses with an exam? What is an exam in this case?

Thanks
Philipp
My understanding is that exams at UMPI would be multiple choice, not unlike Sophia milestones.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Tedium
(03-01-2022, 11:40 AM)MrPhilipp Wrote: Great. Do you maybe have some more informations about this? I had a hard time finding informations regarding the actual exams / tests at UMPI, apart from "they are not proctored". Paper / Project is just something, I write locally and then submit. What are these 25% remaining courses with an exam? What is an exam in this case?

Thanks
Philipp

The exams I've had were multiple choice. I can't tell you anything about them due to the academic honor code. If I'm found breaking that then I would be expelled and risk having my degrees revoked. No thanks! Exams are 3 hours long and are on the learning platform. You must score an 80 or above to pass. If you don't score an 80 you get one more chance to take the exam again. That's about all I can tell you.

Courses change so what was an exam when I took the class last year may have changed. When you enroll and go through scheduling with your advisor you can ask them what classes have an exam. Most don't. If you're going for a non business degree there are even fewer exams. In the Marketing Concentration there was 1 exam and 7 papers/projects. I've completed 2 bachelor's degrees at UMPI and only had 4 exams out of 26 courses.
I've only taken 3 multiple choice exams this semester and they allowed only 120 minutes for each if you need it.
@ss20ts: No No, sorry, I expressed misleadingly: I don't want to know any secret details about the course topics or whatever. I just wanted to know what kind of exams UMPI have or I should expect, technically. Are these multiple choices, written papers and so on. Exactly what you told me now Smile

@CCCC: Great, thanks a lot for this information! Smile
(03-01-2022, 11:08 AM)MrPhilipp Wrote: Hi Guys, 

this is my first post here; been a long time lurker, downloaded the famous 6moth BABA plan for UMPI and now going for the degree! Its a great forum here and such a helpful ressource; pretty amazing! 

One question, that popped up while preparing the "external credits". Sophia.org courses are pretty easy and I really like the platform. Im doing all courses there, as suggested in the plan, and then planned to go forward with Study.com and InstantCert. 

Now, after having a look at InstantCert and Study.com, Im thinking about taking them at UMPI (except Bio) and need your opinion on this. 

Why? UMPI doesnt have proctored exams and to be honest, that makes it much more convenient to write an essay over there than making proctored exams on Study or Instantcert.

What do you guys think? Is that a stupid idea? Should I better stick to the plan and do the proctored exam at Study/Instantcert? Or is UMPI maybe easier? 

Thanks again for this great forum and in case anyone needs some help with Sophia.org, let me know! :Smile

Thanks
Philipp

The main reason we recommend Sophia, Study.com and ICC is because if you want to transfer in the full 90cr, that's the "best" (and cheapest) way to do so.  The more credits you bring in and the more GEC's you cover, the more you get to spend time at UMPI on your major/concentration/minor coursework (especially the UL's).

Also, the Bio w/Lab course at UMPI was not a fun one for Ashkir (nightmarish might be a better description), so the SDC Bio w/Lab is a good way to avoid some pain.  The ICC Spanish exam is also a fast/cheap way to avoid the not-so-fun Spanish course at UMPI.  Now, those courses might have improved by now, but we don't know, so we go ahead and just tell people to skip them.

Time is literally money at UMPI, so it's critical to get everything possible transferred in if you want to make the most of your time there, and try to make sure you get done in 1-3 terms (that's what people here are doing - I would say 2 terms is the norm).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 8 501 Yesterday, 10:44 PM
Last Post: radicallena
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 33 10,441 Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI Admission Requirements/Plan. svnkid 5 201 10-17-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: svnkid
  New UMPI Academic Catalog 2024-2025 turbotortuga 14 1,600 10-17-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 7 311 10-17-2024, 09:31 AM
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,795 10-16-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 128 97,014 10-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Konny08
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,267 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  Question regarding UMPI BAS to MAOL Hackingat40 5 437 10-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI GPA Question joshua27 8 2,284 09-28-2024, 09:24 AM