Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does UMPI forgive old failed classes?
I read somewhere on here that either Pierpont or UMPI forgives old credits/classes, and I can't for the life of me find that post anymore or any information on UMPI's website.

Does anyone know if UMPI does this?

I have two classes that I failed from over 15 years ago, and since I'll be mostly doing Sophia courses that are Pass/Fail, I'd like to not drag my GPA down, if possible. I hear that Jessica over at UMPI is swamped, so I don't want to bother her with my questions, if possible. Smile

Thanks to everyone on these forums - all of you have been so super helpful!
Current Goal:
UMPI: B.L.S. with minors in English and Educational Studies

I'm 65% through my degree!

Earned:  84 credits total
RA: 3 credits
Sophia: 75 credits
Study.com: 6 credits

CLEP: 9 in progress...
UMPI: 6 in progress...
Yes, from my experience they do forgive failed and withdrawn classes. So does WGU as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blkqueen8's post:
  • RachelB
you may want to consider looking into the policies at the school where you failed the classes. some schools have an "academic bankruptcy" policy in their catalog that a student may request if a certain amount of time has elapsed. This way UMPI or Pierpont would never know how you performed in those courses Tongue Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes sixdegreesandamovie's post:
  • RachelB
(06-28-2023, 12:40 AM)sixdegreesandamovie Wrote: you may want to consider looking into the policies at the school where you failed the classes. some schools have an "academic bankruptcy" policy in their catalog that a student may request if a certain amount of time has elapsed. This way UMPI or Pierpont would never know how you performed in those courses 

Good to know. Thank you!
Current Goal:

If you can't get your failed credits forgiven by the original school, UMPI may be willing to overlook them if you enroll as a non-degree student and agree to an initial probationary session. They're trying to ensure that you're ready for classes this time and can successfully complete YourPace classes.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If your GPA is over 2.0, you have no worries at all. UMPI accepts courses with a C- or above as transfer credit. Below a C- and they just don't accept the course. The only courses counted in your UMPI GPA are the courses you complete at UMPI.
(06-28-2023, 09:19 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If you'r GPA is over 2.0, you have no worries at all. UMPI accepts courses with a C- or above as transfer credit. Below a C- and they just don't accept the course. The only courses counted in your UMPI GPA are the courses you complete at UMPI.

My current GPA is not over 2.0, since I only have one semester of credits from years ago. 

But good to know that UMPI only uses their own grades for that!
Current Goal:

Be aware that, if you apply for grad school, they'll likely calculate your whole GPA based on all credit sources. If your original GPA is really low, you might want to take extra UMPI courses to offset that. It's one of the cheapest ways to get credits.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-28-2023, 10:53 AM)RachelB Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 09:19 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If you'r GPA is over 2.0, you have no worries at all. UMPI accepts courses with a C- or above as transfer credit. Below a C- and they just don't accept the course. The only courses counted in your UMPI GPA are the courses you complete at UMPI.

My current GPA is not over 2.0, since I only have one semester of credits from years ago. 

But good to know that UMPI only uses their own grades for that!

In that case, UMPI will accept you as a provisional student. You won't gain full acceptance, but you'll be able to take courses and once you prove that you can complete courses with decent grades in a timely manner, then you'll be fully accepted and be able to complete your degree at UMPI.
It's best to ask the institution where you took the one semester and see if they have an option for academic forgiveness... For the F's you have, they may have an option to leave it off the record books as some institutions have this option after a few years.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Courses With Test klone 1 81 1 hour ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 17 1,155 Yesterday, 03:22 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 23 1,623 09-25-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: AirborneAgent
  UMPI Accounting Assistance NewbieLearner 9 341 09-24-2024, 08:51 PM
  Coursera Google PM Cert to UMPI dm.hans32 0 148 09-20-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 5 531 09-19-2024, 08:25 PM
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 583 09-19-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 902 09-18-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 93,188 09-18-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 753 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger