Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Did you receive a non-accredited degree / degree mill degree? (Interview Opportunity)
Hello all, I am doctoral student at The Ohio State University currently completing dissertation research on non-accredited colleges and universities (also known as diploma or degree mills) and I am recruiting adults who have obtained a degree from a non-accredited college or university and would be willing to participate in a 60-90 minute interview via Zoom or telephone to talk about their experiences. I am interested in talking to both individuals who intentionally sought out a degree from a non-accredited institution, or individuals who were unaware that their college was non-accredited at the time of earning a degree.

Your participation will help increase knowledge on these institutions, why adults might seek credentials from non-traditional colleges, and higher education more broadly. Please note that all interview data will be anonymized to protect the privacy and anonymity of participants. 

If you are interested in participating in this study, you can follow this link to complete a short Google Form, or email me at mitchell.1857@osu.edu. Thanks! 

Link to Google Form Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQ...sp=sf_link

[Image: GQSDBfgWcAAqYHG?format=jpg&name=medium]
[-] The following 1 user Likes mitchell1857's post:
  • newdegree
(06-26-2024, 09:22 AM)mitchell1857 Wrote: non-accredited colleges and universities (also known as diploma or degree mills)

Some non-accredited colleges and universities are diploma or degree mills, but it's unfair to categorize them all as diploma or degree mills. It may not be your personal classification as a doctoral student since you're just tasked with doing university research. However, it is best that accredited universities (i.e. Ohio State University) understand the nuances before publishing potential misinformation about non-accredited colleges and universities.
Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

[-] The following 3 users Like Kal Di's post:
  • jch, Leedeedee, marcelor78
(06-26-2024, 02:52 PM)Kal Di Wrote:
(06-26-2024, 09:22 AM)mitchell1857 Wrote: non-accredited colleges and universities (also known as diploma or degree mills)

Some non-accredited colleges and universities are diploma or degree mills, but it's unfair to categorize them all as diploma or degree mills. It may not be your personal classification as a doctoral student since you're just tasked with doing university research. However, it is best that accredited universities (i.e. Ohio State University) understand the nuances before publishing potential misinformation about non-accredited colleges and universities.
Examples?
(06-26-2024, 05:10 PM)Duneranger Wrote:
(06-26-2024, 02:52 PM)Kal Di Wrote:

Examples?

1. There are unaccredited colleges and universities that are in the process of becoming accredited. Nations University became accredited not too long ago. Some members of this forum attended before they gained DEAC accreditation. 

2. There are religious colleges that have applied for a religious exemption because they want to keep the government out of their affairs and/or because accreditation is expensive. Forge Theological Seminary is an example. 

3. There are unaccredited colleges that won't apply for accreditation because they're Libertarian. They just can't get a religious exemption, so they'll be operating illegally. 

4. There are unaccredited colleges that are diploma mills, which means an educational institution that awards academic credentials for little or no work.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 5 users Like sanantone's post:
  • CatsDomino, jch, Kal Di, Thorne, Vle045
I think its important to define the usage of non-accredited colleges and universities when doing research and not lump everyone in the same group. Is everything except RA (US) non-accredited, or what about international colleges, where is the line?
(06-26-2024, 06:03 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: I think its important to define the usage of non-accredited colleges and universities when doing research and not lump everyone in the same group. Is everything except RA (US) non-accredited, or what about international colleges, where is the line?

I'm pretty sure this is about American schools, and I don't know why someone would assume that accredited would mean RA only. Any school that is not accredited by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education is unaccredited. A school that is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, by definition, cannot be a diploma mill. The minimum standards set by accreditors prevent a school from being a diploma mill. 

In regard to foreign schools, they still need degree-granting status from the government or a recognized institution that has been given that authority by the government.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
There is a need to get the definitions right regarding this subject. I could play games and state The Ohio State University was established in 1870, but has only been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA) since 1913. I could state that for 43 years The Ohio State University must have been a diploma mill. Best to do the proper research and not play games. By the way, one non-accredited college I attended had harder classes than any accredited college I have attended. I learned more with that non-accredited college degree than I did with my accredited college degree.
The OP should also keep in mind that some of the hoped-for audience who obtained a degree from a diploma or degree mill believe they obtained an accredited degree.

Diploma or degree mills often claim accreditation. Each claim is either false or worthless (because the accrediting body involved is an accreditation mill). But a client of the diploma or degree mill may believe the claim to be true.

The non-overlap between "non-accredited college" and "diploma or degree mill" is so large that the OP should rewrite their interview requirements.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • jch
Saylor academy is launching an MBA program. If/when it launches, it would be unaccredited. Anyone can take the courses right now, they just can’t enroll just yet. It’s still in Beta testing or whatever they call it
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
(06-26-2024, 07:07 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: The OP should also keep in mind that some of the hoped-for audience who obtained a degree from a diploma or degree mill believe they obtained an accredited degree.

Diploma or degree mills often claim accreditation. Each claim is either false or worthless (because the accrediting body involved is an accreditation mill). But a client of the diploma or degree mill may believe the claim to be true.

The non-overlap between "non-accredited college" and "diploma or degree mill" is so large that the OP should rewrite their interview requirements.

Diploma mill also needs to be clearly defined because so many people think that all online colleges or all for-profit colleges are diploma mills. Many also believe that those types of schools are unaccredited. Since the survey is asking for the name of the school, the researcher should verify that the person actually attended a diploma mill.

Something else I just thought of...some people believe that, because their degree didn't meet licensing requirements, that their university was unaccredited. In actuality, the program just lacked programmatic accreditation, which is voluntary.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • CatsDomino, Jonathan Whatley

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "ACCREDITED CHEAPEST MASTERS" in the WORLD. +Online Degree Geonho Lee 21 2,560 09-29-2024, 11:00 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  (NA DEAC) Free tuition Master Degree Penny15 14 1,876 09-23-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 31 13,692 09-23-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Geonho Lee
  Is Swiss School of management Accredited? soulblader 5 2,512 09-23-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: elbulk
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 1,046 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 133 24,350 09-12-2024, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  No Bachelor's Degree Required for Master of Taxation sanantone 2 1,621 08-19-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Nearly half of master degree programs have no ROI sanantone 8 1,700 08-19-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Heartstrings
  Received offer for job I did not apply for after receiving doctoral degree. soliloquy 7 755 07-04-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Masters in Creative Writing or Similar Degree iblewhite 5 570 06-27-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Duneranger