Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Advice - Pierpont, UMPI, WGU?
Your Location: Illinois, USA
Your Age: 50
What kind of degree do you want?: Terminal Degree: Masters.

Current Regional Accredited Credits:
Total Credits: 46

Class Name, Credits, Grade
CHEM 125A   Chem Struct & Dyn             3.00  C
CHEM 126A   Chem Struct Dyn Lab           1.00  A
ENG   101   English Composition           3.00  C
PHIL  111   Intro To Philosophy           3.00  C
HIST  202   Us Hist & Const: 20th Ct      3.00  B
MATH 150A   Elem Calc, Analytic Geom      3.00  C
SPC   103   Interperson Commun Skills     3.00  B
PHIL  106   Critical Thinking             3.00  C
POLS  111   Intro To Political Sci        3.00  B
SOC   373   Int To Criminal Justice       3.00  C
PHIL  106   Critical Thinking             3.00  C
POLS  111   Intro To Political Sci        3.00  B
SOC   373   Int To Criminal Justice       3.00  C
PHYS  211A  University Physics            3.00  C
DATA  135   COMPUTER LITERACY             3.00  B
LITT  235   AMERICAN LIT I                3.00  B

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

Coursera Total Credits: 73
Cert / Course
Google IT Support Certificate
Google UX Design Certificate
Google Project Management Certificate
Google Data Analytics Certificate
IBM Data Analyst Certificate
IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Spec
AWIT Real World Cloud PM

Sophia Total Credits: 82
Art History I
Conflict Resolution
Developing Effective Teams
Environmental Science
Financial Accounting
Foundations of Statistics
Introduction to Business
Introduction to Ethics
Introduction to Information Technology
Introduction to Java Programming
Introduction to Networking
Introduction to Python Programming
Introduction to Relational Databases
Introduction to Sociology
Introduction to Statistics
Introduction To to Nutrition
Introduction to Web Development
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Principles of Finance
Principles of Management
Project Management
Spanish I
The Essentials of Managing Conflict
U.S. Government
U.S. History I
Visual Communications
Workplace Communications
Workplace Writing II

Any certifications or military experience?
Outside of the Coursera certs, no.

Budget: $10k per year? Flexible. I’m shooting for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Full time remote work, spouse.
Dedicated time to study: 4 hours per day.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal. 
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Yes, my workplace has tuition reimbursement for $3,500 per calendar year. FAFSA direct lending qualified if needed, no grants or scholarships.

Notes: My RA credits are from two state colleges the 1990s; but I never finished a degree.  I’m a middle manager in IT.  I work full time remote and have flexible hours, so I can dedicate the time necessary to get the classwork done.
Looking for that next step in my career but advancing in leadership requires an advanced degree.

Discovered this forum and CBE about a month ago and started digging. I initially applied and was accepted to WGU for the Accelerated BS+MSIT with a February start, but have been hearing horror stories of the proctoring and honestly don’t really need an IT degree or further technical certifications. Then discovered UMPI and Pierpont. 

I believe I have more than enough to get my BOG AAS at Pierpont, and I’ve applied and been accepted. Unfortunately I didn’t apply until after the October cutoff for December graduation so I’m looking at May 2024 graduation. Awaiting transcript evaluation.

A few weeks ago I also applied to UMPI for a January start; waiting to get confirmation back. Awaiting transcript evaluation. The BAS looked good vs. the BLS, but with the May Pierpont graduation I mentioned I’m not sure I want to wait.  Now looking at a BABA PM & IS. Maybe just stick with the BLS MIS since I plan to move a Masters, and I’m not sure anyone cares what your Bachelors was in when you have a higher-level terminal degree?

Speaking of which, I plan to move on to a Masters program, either MAOL at UMPI, or an MBA at WGU or elsewhere.

Further out in the future, I’m hearing that South.EDU is starting a DBA in IT administration next year depending on how I survive.

Degree Planning Google Sheets (Building on the shoulders of others on this forum):
Pierpont AAS Degree Plan
UMPI BAS Degree Plan
UMPI BABA PM & Info Systems Degree Plan

Should I go with WGU? Wait until after May to get my Pierpont AAS to go with UMPI BAS? Go with UMPI BABA?

Sorry if that was too verbose.  ?  Open to any suggestions!  Thanks!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Darknigh7's post:
  • lynnii2
There's no reason to wait for your degree to be conferred by Pierpont before you begin UMPI. Start UMPI in January as you plan.

As for WGU vs UMPI, do you want to take proctored exams or write papers?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Darknigh7
@Darknigh7, that's right, quickly apply to both WGU & UMPI, then send in all your transcripts to get an evaluation. Neither of them require you to have an associates beforehand, thus, you can apply now (right away). You can graduate your associates anytime, you want to max the transfer credits towards either degree, so create a spreadsheet by following the templates on the WIKI, then link us to your file on your google/one drive, make sure to make the file viewable and not editable, we can then advise further...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Darknigh7
(12-08-2023, 12:05 AM)ss20ts Wrote: There's no reason to wait for your degree to be conferred by Pierpont before you begin UMPI. Start UMPI in January as you plan.

As for WGU vs UMPI, do you want to take proctored exams or write papers?

Write papers!

(12-08-2023, 01:22 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Darknigh7, that's right, quickly apply to both WGU & UMPI, then send in all your transcripts to get an evaluation.  Neither of them require you to have an associates beforehand, thus, you can apply now (right away).  You can graduate your associates anytime, you want to max the transfer credits towards either degree, so create a spreadsheet by following the templates on the WIKI, then link us to your file on your google/one drive, make sure to make the file viewable and not editable, we can then advise further...

Thanks, I've linked three spreadsheets in my post.

Pierpont AAS Degree Plan
UMPI BAS Degree Plan
UMPI BABA PM & Info Systems Degree Plan
If you prefer writing papers over proctored exams, then you want UMPI. WGU has proctored exams. UMPI doesn't have any exams.
  • Darknigh7
(12-08-2023, 09:39 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If you prefer writing papers over proctored exams, then you want UMPI. WGU has proctored exams. UMPI doesn't have any exams.

Thanks! I've pretty much eliminated WGU at this point due to the proctoring.  

Still debating waiting for my AAS to "Graduate" in May so I can do the "secret" BAS degree, go BABA or just say heck with it and do the BLS in January.  The latter two assuming I hear back from UMPI on my transcripts prior to the January cutoff with how busy they are.

Also as I mentioned in another thread I'm trying to figure out the PCJ 215 / COM 210 / BUS 210 transfer situation. I've got SOPH 0034 "Workplace Communication" which maps to BUS 210, but not the SOPH 0059 "Business Communication" which maps to PCJ 215. NOTHING seems to map to "COM 210". I can take 0059, but it's got four Touchstones and a five minute speech so I'd rather not until I figure out it actually transfers in.

Thanks for everyone's advice and patience!
I wouldn't wait to start UMPI. I'd just start! In the grand scheme, any bachelor's degree will do because you have years of experience. It's basically a check box for you. Just get it done so you can move on with life.
  • Darknigh7
(12-08-2023, 10:36 AM)Darknigh7 Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 09:39 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If you prefer writing papers over proctored exams, then you want UMPI. WGU has proctored exams. UMPI doesn't have any exams.

Thanks! I've pretty much eliminated WGU at this point due to the proctoring.  

Still debating waiting for my AAS to "Graduate" in May so I can do the "secret" BAS degree, go BABA or just say heck with it and do the BLS in January.  The latter two assuming I hear back from UMPI on my transcripts prior to the January cutoff with how busy they are.

Also as I mentioned in another thread I'm trying to figure out the PCJ 215 / COM 210 / BUS 210 transfer situation. I've got SOPH 0034 "Workplace Communication" which maps to BUS 210, but not the SOPH 0059 "Business Communication" which maps to PCJ 215. NOTHING seems to map to "COM 210". I can take 0059, but it's got four Touchstones and a five minute speech so I'd rather not until I figure out it actually transfers in.

Thanks for everyone's advice and patience!
If the BABA sounds doable to you, I think the degree in Business Administration should be considered more attractive in your situation than either the Applied Science or Liberal Studies degrees. All of them are good “check the box” degrees, but if you think you need your resume to compare favorably next to another resume, the major will help. I don’t know that BAS is really better than BLS in your situation. I could see a hiring manager trying to ask followup questions to understand what you “majored” in. A BLS with two minors could be pitched as an interdisciplinary studies degree. BAS might be better for an earlier-career technical position.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CenterSquarEd's post:
  • Darknigh7
The BABA is now the BBA which is a good thing. A BA in business never made any sense anyway.

Oh and one more thing. If you start in January, you'll most likely graduate from UMPI before Pierpont. If UMPI takes you 2 terms, then you'll still graduate in May, but UMPI graduates in really early May.
  • Darknigh7
(12-08-2023, 03:28 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The BABA is now the BBA which is a good thing. A BA in business never made any sense anyway.

Oh and one more thing. If you start in January, you'll most likely graduate from UMPI before Pierpont. If UMPI takes you 2 terms, then you'll still graduate in May, but UMPI graduates in really early May.
Oh, that’s a great thing. Do we know what that looks like on diplomas yet? I’ve seen people post older ones that said, “Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration” and don’t include the concentration. If it actually said, “Bachelor of Business Administration in Project Management & Information Systems” now, that opens up the audience quite a bit more… if it just says “Bachelor of Business Administration,” I still like that for OP, but it limits who’s attracted to UMPI.
[-] The following 2 users Like CenterSquarEd's post:
  • Darknigh7, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 1 36 1 hour ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 3 82 2 hours ago
Last Post: karehiro
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 141 Yesterday, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 478 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 2 200 09-15-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 251 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 257 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
  Degree plan wanted for UK student (CS) FungiTao 1 129 09-13-2024, 07:42 PM
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 9 380 09-13-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Looking for advice on choosing a degree for a career change frankc 13 929 09-13-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Obrajnick