Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"For the People, For the Country: Patrick Henry’s Final Political Battle."
This came across my Facebook feed this A. M. It's a fascinating discussion.

https://fb.watch/rVMIoM-9o2/

As an aside - I highly recommend attending the "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech at the Historic St. John's Church in Richmond. It's amazing they sit you in the pews. you could be seated next to a reenactor who is portraying one of our Founding Fathers. It is also often performed at Red Hill. Patrick Henry Jolly, Patrick Henry's fifth Great Grandson is a frequent guide/performer at Red Hill
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy (Retired)
(05-07-2024, 06:09 AM)Charles Fout Wrote: This came across my Facebook feed this A. M. It's a fascinating discussion.

https://fb.watch/rVMIoM-9o2/

As an aside - I highly recommend attending the "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech at the Historic St. John's Church in Richmond. It's amazing they sit you in the pews. you could be seated next to a reenactor who is portraying one of our Founding Fathers. It is also often performed at Red Hill. Patrick Henry Jolly, Patrick Henry's fifth Great Grandson is a frequent guide/performer at Red Hill

It's pretty amazing that less than 10 years after the Bill of Rights was added to the Constitution, Congress passed an act that was a blatant violation of freedom of speech.

The Sedition Act of 1798: This was part of a series of laws known as the Alien and Sedition Acts, which were passed by the Federalist-controlled Congress during the presidency of John Adams. The Sedition Act of 1798 made it a crime to publish "false, scandalous, and malicious writing" against the government or certain government officials, including the President of the United States. It was controversial because it was seen as a violation of the First Amendment's protection of freedom of speech and press. Many critics argued that it was an attempt by the Federalists to suppress political opposition, particularly criticism from the Democratic-Republican Party.

The Sedition Act of 1918: This was passed during World War I as an amendment to the Espionage Act of 1917. It made it a crime to willfully utter, print, write, or publish any disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language about the form of the U.S. government, the Constitution, the flag, or the armed forces, with the intent to incite resistance to the United States or to promote the cause of its enemies. This act was also controversial and led to numerous prosecutions of individuals who expressed anti-war or anti-government sentiments. It was repealed in 1920.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  just for Laughs - Not a Political Post Charles Fout 15 835 09-14-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  16 People Who Thought They Knew Better Than Their Doctors bjcheung77 1 295 07-23-2024, 04:10 AM
Last Post: degreeholdeer
  THE chair... that got a country music star arrested. LevelUP 5 590 04-21-2024, 06:17 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why I’m Leaving New York City. More than half a million people left New York in 2022 LevelUP 25 1,617 04-18-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Israel Attack Ignites Civil War Inside Both Political Parties LevelUP 17 2,537 01-03-2024, 06:58 PM
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 563 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How the World’s Most Dangerous Country Solved Murder LevelUP 8 970 09-26-2023, 07:23 PM
Video Tetris: A Modern Movie That Shows the How People Had to Live in the Soviet Union. LevelUP 1 793 04-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Question Why Do People Get So Crazy on Political Forums, According to AI? LevelUP 3 1,036 11-04-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Kire
  Elon Musk ends legal battle and buys Twitter for $44 billion! bjcheung77 13 1,543 10-26-2022, 06:14 AM