Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science, then Masters
BTW, I would suggest trying at least one TECEP before deciding that, because XYZ course has exams, it'll be easy for you. For the most part, around here, ProctorU (which TESU uses for TECEPs and midterm/final exams) is barely tolerated, at best. RPNow (which is used by Study.com and can be chosen for Davar) is a much easier proctor to deal with. Saylor uses a similar, though different, proctor to RPNow. I think Coopersmith has the option to use the same proctor as Saylor or else the dreaded ProctorU will be used by default.

Because of the exam difficulties with the ProctorU system, many students here prefer TESU courses that have papers or quizzes instead of an actual exam.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-06-2023, 10:57 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Workload really depends on the course. With some LL courses, you need a ton of attention to even scrape by with a passing grade. In other instances, with UL classes, such as with Software Engineering, that can be fully completed (with a good grade) in under a week. You need to check out the syllabus for each class to get an idea of what will be expected to earn a passing grade.
I see. Will do. 

You and bjcheung77 mentioned earlier about getting another degree at the same time. Do you think it could be worthwhile getting the asnsm mathematics in addition to the computer science degree? I think the masters I want to apply to like to see mathematics, and I may as well earn an associates degree as well as just adding all my math courses to electives in the computer science degree.

I'll see at the end of all this if I'll go ahead with the BSBA CIS, depending on how long / expensive the BACS has become.

Thank you!

(09-07-2023, 08:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: BTW, I would suggest trying at least one TECEP before deciding that, because XYZ course has exams, it'll be easy for you. For the most part, around here, ProctorU (which TESU uses for TECEPs and midterm/final exams) is barely tolerated, at best. RPNow (which is used by Study.com and can be chosen for Davar) is a much easier proctor to deal with. Saylor uses a similar, though different, proctor to RPNow. I think Coopersmith has the option to use the same proctor as Saylor or else the dreaded ProctorU will be used by default.

Because of the exam difficulties with the ProctorU system, many students here prefer TESU courses that have papers or quizzes instead of an actual exam.
Sorry, trying at least one TECEP before I decide what? To take any flat terms? Will do. And I'll look at the courses and try and choose the ones with more quizzes etc.

Thank you again
Aside from the cost of the additional math courses, the ASNSM Math is free (if you have it added to your degree plan). So, IMO, you might as well get it. The extra math courses cost maybe $200 - depending on exactly which math courses you wind up using. For the BACS/BSBA, the courses will typically wind up being:

Algebra - gen ed class/degree requirement
Calculus I - required for BACS and ASNSM Math
Discrete Math - Required for BACS, ASNSM elective
Statistics from Sophia - required for BSBA, ASNSM elective
CSM Learn - required for BSBA, ASNSM elective

Then pick two of: Precalculus (cost included in Sophia membership), Liberal Arts Mathematics (part of 15-credit term OR transfer from Sophia), UL Statistics by way of a Coursera cert (can be used as UL credit for BACS), Geometry or another math from Study.com not covered by the previous courses.

The dual BACS/BSBA CIS works by filling the BACS's elective slots with BSBA courses. When done this way, the BSBA CIS is 5 or 6 additional courses beyond what you'd strictly need for the BACS plus an additional capstone. This makes the cost of the additional BSBA CIS degree perhaps $1000 more than just the BACS alone - assuming you've planned carefully.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Regarding proctors, I actually like ProctorU, but probably because I have been using it since 2017 and it was the only one that I knew until 2 years ago.

So maybe the OP doesn´t get bothered by ProctorU.
Mix/Match is in regards to your flat term, you can take a set of courses, you want to make sure to take courses that are 'evenly distributed' not just LL or UL, but by course content, assignments, exams, etc. The main reason is you want to get these done without a hitch, if you're doing all UL and taking harder courses one term, then taking easy courses another term, that won't be balanced enough and may cause delays and stress...

In regards to ProctorU, when I did StraighterLine for 3 months, and that was 30+ exams in those 3 months, I only ran into two or three issues... It was the only option back then as Sophia.org was not $99/month all you can take, it was $329/course. Study.com didn't have as many courses as they had now, etc. I think you'll be fine with ProctorU, there are other alternative credit options though, you want to use them first.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • to-the-Masters!
(09-07-2023, 08:48 AM)MrPanda Wrote: Regarding proctors, I actually like ProctorU, but probably because I have been using it since 2017 and it was the only one that I knew until 2 years ago.

True. It's possible. That's why I suggested starting by taking a TECEP. That's a relatively low-cost and low-stakes way to see whether ProctorU will be a problem for someone.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(09-07-2023, 10:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 08:48 AM)MrPanda Wrote: Regarding proctors, I actually like ProctorU, but probably because I have been using it since 2017 and it was the only one that I knew until 2 years ago.

True. It's possible. That's why I suggested starting by taking a TECEP. That's a relatively low-cost and low-stakes way to see whether ProctorU will be a problem for someone.
Or free for those of us who signed up last term! That having been said, I hear networking technology is pretty hard, I should get really cracking on that one.

(09-07-2023, 09:54 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Mix/Match is in regards to your flat term, you can take a set of courses, you want to make sure to take courses that are 'evenly distributed' not just LL or UL, but by course content, assignments, exams, etc.  The main reason is you want to get these done without a hitch, if you're doing all UL and taking harder courses one term, then taking easy courses another term, that won't be balanced enough and may cause delays and stress...

In regards to ProctorU, when I did StraighterLine for 3 months, and that was 30+ exams in those 3 months, I only ran into two or three issues... It was the only option back then as Sophia.org was not $99/month all you can take, it was $329/course.  Study.com didn't have as many courses as they had now, etc.  I think you'll be fine with ProctorU, there are other alternative credit options though, you want to use them first.
Thank you for the clarification. I assume by alternative credit you mean the main ones study.com and sophia etc.
(09-07-2023, 12:38 PM)to-the-Masters! Wrote: Or free for those of us who signed up last term! That having been said, I hear networking technology is pretty hard, I should get really cracking on that one.

You can get up to 7 free TECEPs now. I would suggest adding at least a couple more TECEPs, easy ones, so you can get the ProctorU experience before the difficult Network Technology exam. I don't see any science in your list, so maybe BIO-1010 or BIO-2080 to start off with? They should require very little, if any, study.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(09-07-2023, 12:50 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 12:38 PM)to-the-Masters! Wrote: Or free for those of us who signed up last term! That having been said, I hear networking technology is pretty hard, I should get really cracking on that one.

You can get up to 7 free TECEPs now. I would suggest adding at least a couple more TECEPs, easy ones, so you can get the ProctorU experience before the difficult Network Technology exam. I don't see any science in your list, so maybe BIO-1010 or BIO-2080 to start off with? They should require very little, if any, study.
Wow, I didn't realist that! Thanks
Are there any complications for an international student to apply to Oakton? Thinking about going there for discrete mathematics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU Masters Degree RoliJoli 3 293 09-11-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Computer Science Bachelor for a non-US resident michaela 10 639 08-23-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  STEM masters degrees for non-STEM majors Robson 12 882 08-20-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  TESU BA in Computer Science, help with planning and advice Whiskazo 8 854 07-16-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Help - Computer Science Degree Plan International Student JohnnyBazzinga 15 1,912 07-03-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: animuscerebri
  Health Science, AAS leaannrillorta@gmail.com 3 287 06-27-2024, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice for my 17 year old daughter with over 100 credits done... Computer/IT Focused. EDUxplorer 15 3,125 06-04-2024, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Engineering/Physics/Applied Science Bachelors NotJoeBiden 7 844 05-18-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 1,560 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 522 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM