Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science, then Masters
(09-05-2023, 08:10 AM)to-the-Masters! Wrote: One of the earlier posts suggested UC San Diego. Does anyone know if they transfer correctly? I've seen some funny things about them in a quick glance through the forum.

Like all university extension programs, you need to make sure that the course actually awards university credit and not "Extension Credit" or "Continuing Education Credit".
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(09-05-2023, 10:40 AM)davewill Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 08:10 AM)to-the-Masters! Wrote: One of the earlier posts suggested UC San Diego. Does anyone know if they transfer correctly? I've seen some funny things about them in a quick glance through the forum.

Like all university extension programs, you need to make sure that the course actually awards university credit and not "Extension Credit" or "Continuing Education Credit".
Great. Do I have to contact UC San Diego and TESU about each and every course, or is there an easier way to check? Also, I've read because they are on the quarter system, the credits transfer in differently (less) so this may not be a great option after all. In truth, I've been looking at their site, and I'm pretty confused about their whole system. Do I need to sign up to Concurrent Enrollment, or can I just click add to basket?

Does anyone have any other suggestions about good places to get graded credits?
You should be able to verify with UCSD extension. Three quarter units will translate to 2 semester units.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • to-the-Masters!
I'm leaning towards just taking 2 flat terms with Thomas Edison for the majority of my graded courses. I doubt an international student signing up to a community college for his graded credits looks good, and the price difference isn't too drastic. 

Is this doable? I plan to prepare all the content in advance, via coursera and the like, so I won't be learning anything new, but will the workload simply be too much? I can't realistically put in a 50hr week at the minute... What's a good average time each course with TESU will take me per week?

And finally are there any criteria / conditions I should know before taking a flat term?
Workload really depends on the course. With some LL courses, you need a ton of attention to even scrape by with a passing grade. In other instances, with UL classes, such as with Software Engineering, that can be fully completed (with a good grade) in under a week. You need to check out the syllabus for each class to get an idea of what will be expected to earn a passing grade.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Where all those prvusou credits from? You listed your prior credits but not where you got it from
Basically, it's great you're asking questions and providing us the minor details required in the addendum/template, but it's still somewhat unclear as we don't know what courses you've taken (we know they're ACE, are they from Sophia.org or a mix of providers), commitments, study habits you have... The questions you're asking is also very subjective as it will differ for everyone due to the reasons I mentioned above.

Yes, You're going to get varying answers that are subjective in nature, it really depends on a many things, your budget, commitment, time management and more. We don't know your situation and can't gauge how well each person does things unless they provide more details. For your two flat rate terms, you should take a mix/match approach to get the residency credits but also shoot for a higher GPA at the same time.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'm actually fairly confident that it wouldn't matter in the slightest whether your graded credits come from a community college or TESU. It's incredibly common for students to have CC credits mixed in. Here, for example, students at the local major state college often have trouble getting into required courses because of overenrollment. So they run over to a CC to fill those in, otherwise they could end up needing extra semesters to graduate.

For example they fail to get into Basket Weaving 101 in Fall semester. Spring semester, BW 101 isn't offered, and they can't take BW 102 because they need 101 first, putting them a year behind. Getting BW101 at CC can save their schedule.

[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
(09-05-2023, 02:04 PM)to-the-Masters! Wrote:

Great. Do I have to contact UC San Diego and TESU about each and every course, or is there an easier way to check? Also, I've read because they are on the quarter system, the credits transfer in differently (less) so this may not be a great option after all. In truth, I've been looking at their site, and I'm pretty confused about their whole system. Do I need to sign up to Concurrent Enrollment, or can I just click add to basket?

I had taken 2 UCSD extensions courses (R Programming and Data Analytics with Python) and TESU does not transfer those extension credits.
(09-06-2023, 11:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, it's great you're asking questions and providing us the minor details required in the addendum/template, but it's still somewhat unclear as we don't know what courses you've taken (we know they're ACE, are they from Sophia.org or a mix of providers), commitments, study habits you have... The questions you're asking is also very subjective as it will differ for everyone due to the reasons I mentioned above.

Yes, You're going to get varying answers that are subjective in nature, it really depends on a many things, your budget, commitment, time management and more. We don't know your situation and can't gauge how well each person does things unless they provide more details.  For your two flat rate terms, you should take a mix/match approach to get the residency credits but also shoot for a higher GPA at the same time.
Ahhh, my favorite topic. Me!

The courses I transferred were from TRIO, a program where I test out of a bunch of exams and transfer them etc. There's more to it then that but the point is, they are (mostly) test out style credit. That having been said, I enjoy working with more coursework, else I have a tendency to leave things to the last minute and then cram, and I like feeling like I'm accomplishing things as I go through. I try and spread out my workload throughout the week, not overloading some days etc. I am fairly busy, but some things can give depending on my workload. Unless the courses even with me knowing the content will take a crazy amount of hours, I should be able to make it all fit.

I'm pretty bright (a straight A student,) and usually test well. I'm willing to work really hard, and I enjoy computer science and math content, so hopefully it won't be too much of a grind. 

I get that the questions I asked above were very subjective, I was just wondering if TESU courses are generally considered 'easy' or 'difficult' by students. Or if there are any notoriously hard courses to watch out for, that sort of thing.

By mix / match, I assume you mean some UL and some LL? Or do you mean different types of exams? I wasn't clear. 

Thanks again for your time. If this still isn't enough

(09-06-2023, 12:10 PM)davewill Wrote: I'm actually fairly confident that it wouldn't matter in the slightest whether your graded credits come from a community college or TESU. It's incredibly common for students to have CC credits mixed in. Here, for example, students at the local major state college often have trouble getting into required courses because of overenrollment. So they run over to a CC to fill those in, otherwise they could end up needing extra semesters to graduate.

For example they fail to get into Basket Weaving 101 in Fall semester. Spring semester, BW 101 isn't offered, and they can't take BW 102 because they need 101 first, putting them a year behind. Getting BW101 at CC can save their schedule.
I see. From what I saw the price isn't that much cheaper than a TESu flat rate term but I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

(09-06-2023, 11:47 PM)fmsoa Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 02:04 PM)to-the-Masters! Wrote:

I had taken 2 UCSD extensions courses (R Programming and Data Analytics with Python) and TESU does not transfer those extension credits.
Thank you for telling me. I'll be wary before I take any UCSD courses then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU Masters Degree RoliJoli 3 293 09-11-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Computer Science Bachelor for a non-US resident michaela 10 639 08-23-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  STEM masters degrees for non-STEM majors Robson 12 882 08-20-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  TESU BA in Computer Science, help with planning and advice Whiskazo 8 854 07-16-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Help - Computer Science Degree Plan International Student JohnnyBazzinga 15 1,912 07-03-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: animuscerebri
  Health Science, AAS leaannrillorta@gmail.com 3 287 06-27-2024, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice for my 17 year old daughter with over 100 credits done... Computer/IT Focused. EDUxplorer 15 3,125 06-04-2024, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Engineering/Physics/Applied Science Bachelors NotJoeBiden 7 844 05-18-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 1,560 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 522 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM