Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College for Criminals
soliloquy Wrote:“For if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them.” ― Thomas More, Utopia

Simplistic, but true. "Statistical Man" is more simplistic still.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
soliloquy Wrote:“For if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them.” ― Thomas More, Utopia

Exactly! It's not just ill-educated either though. We have mass amounts of people who grow up fighting to survive... doing everything possible. These are men and women, often who struggled as children because their parents struggled. I do a lot of volunteer work for an organization that helps women exiting the prison system, as well as women who have encountered cycles of homelessness. The two things they struggle with are often lack of income and mental health issues leading to drug/alcohol abuse. I still go up to the capitol though, and I still advocate for education for inmates... because sometimes it has less to do with having the piece of paper and more to do with the confidence of feeling equal to others which helps mentally. Plus, where I am at the access for women inmates to education takes months longer than for the men, and most of them never get to use it the first time they are in because they are released before they can start course-work.

Also, for those of you who have not seen it, I would strongly recommend watching the documentary "The House I Live In", available on NetFlix.
The House I Live In (2012 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think if the U.S. really looked at how to push for employers offering family wages (not just "living wages" or minimum wage), and easier access to mental health care, we could make major improvements in this country.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:Exactly! It's not just ill-educated either though. We have mass amounts of people who grow up fighting to survive... doing everything possible. These are men and women, often who struggled as children because their parents struggled. I do a lot of volunteer work for an organization that helps women exiting the prison system, as well as women who have encountered cycles of homelessness. The two things they struggle with are often lack of income and mental health issues leading to drug/alcohol abuse. I still go up to the capitol though, and I still advocate for education for inmates... because sometimes it has less to do with having the piece of paper and more to do with the confidence of feeling equal to others which helps mentally. Plus, where I am at the access for women inmates to education takes months longer than for the men, and most of them never get to use it the first time they are in because they are released before they can start course-work.

Also, for those of you who have not seen it, I would strongly recommend watching the documentary "The House I Live In", available on NetFlix.
The House I Live In (2012 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think if the U.S. really looked at how to push for employers offering family wages (not just "living wages" or minimum wage), and easier access to mental health care, we could make major improvements in this country.

ACA was supposed to take care of the mental health care part by making Medicaid available for impoverished adults and making it so that all of the different kinds of mental health care providers could bill insurance companies. While the latter has taken effect, the former has been rejected by many states. My state has the highest rate of uninsured adults and children, but opted out of the Medicaid expansion. I have yet to see my state government come up with a plan to help Texans become insured. We're not getting the federal dollars returned to us that other states are getting, and providing health care for uninsured people is a huge burden on the counties.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Sorry, I've been rocking out straighterline courses left and right and have neglected this forum. I'm fine with correctional institutions provinding skilled labor training, i.e. cosmetology, welding etc. I do however have a problem with offering college courses to inmates. The general public can barely afford college to get a degree, so why should we offer these types of rewards to offenders. Especially to an individual who would not even be eligible for FAFSA on the outside. Government spending should be spent on social programs to prevent these individuals from making the wrong choices and getting incarcerated in the first place. I also believe that the decriminalization of victimless crimes (prostitution, drugs etc) and working on racial bias in the criminal justice system would go a long way to help with this ridiculous incarceration problem we have in the US.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,942 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 825 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 204 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,142 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,897 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,456 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,507 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 515 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 894 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 333 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox