Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing UMPI vs Study.com
I just got accepted to start UMPI in September!!  I've decided to go for the Business Administration degree with the Managment & Leadership concentration.  

This forum has helped me so much!!!  Thank you all.

I'm finishing up a couple required sophia classes this week.  And I've earmarked the 6 classes that I will definitely need to take at UMPI (including 3 that count to the MOAL if I pursue that later).

But the following 7 classes that could be taken at either UMPI or Study.com.   I have no experience with Study.com classes.  Should I use the month of August to knock out a few of these at study.com?  Would they be easier/faster than taking them through UMPI?   Note: I will need to take 4 of these at UMPI - are any of them really easy through UMPI?   

Any advice would be really appreciated!!

• BUS 220: Managerial Accounting -vs- Study.com Accounting 301: Applied Managerial Accounting
  • BUS 244: Management Information Systems -vs- Study.com Business 303: Management Information Systems
  • BUS 240: Change Management -vs- Study.com Business 304: Leading Organizational Change
  • BUS 260: Leadership -vs- Study.com Business 209: Mentoring & Leadership Development in the Workplace
  • BUS 321: Human Resource Management -vs- Study.com Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management
  • BUS 330: Marketing Management -vs- Study.com Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising
  • BUS 415: Operations Management -vs- Study.com Business 312: Advanced Operations Management
Thanks again - this community rocks!!
You'll find that Study can take longer than UMPI courses. You also have exams and dozens of quizzes at Study. UMPI doesn't have those. You could just take all of the courses at UMPI and get grades which can help boost your GPA. Might be helpful down the road.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • DavidGood
(07-25-2024, 09:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote: You'll find that Study can take longer than UMPI courses. You also have exams and dozens of quizzes at Study. UMPI doesn't have those. You could just take all of the courses at UMPI and get grades which can help boost your GPA. Might be helpful down the road.

I was going to ask a similar question. in a week, I will have 14 classes remaining, but I don't start until October. Debating the study.com route or if I just bang them out at UMPI. Study.com looks like a pain in rear, to be honest.
You really need to look at the degree plan for UMPI, it'll show you which classes to transfer in and what classes to take at UMPI. For these type of classes, you decide for yourself which ones you want to take by reviewing both the alternative credit class reviews for such classes at Sophia.org or Study.com, and the class reviews for the UMPI Classes. You decide from that, update your spreadsheet and link us to your google or one drive. We can make recommendations if needed...

Side note: I would take at least 4-5 classes at Study.com, especially when they've got a special sale going on right now (see bio/signature). Each additional class exam within the month is $70, you can take 3 extra exams for a total of 5 classes...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-25-2024, 10:49 AM)DavidGood Wrote:
(07-25-2024, 09:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote: You'll find that Study can take longer than UMPI courses. You also have exams and dozens of quizzes at Study. UMPI doesn't have those. You could just take all of the courses at UMPI and get grades which can help boost your GPA. Might be helpful down the road.

I was going to ask a similar question. in a week, I will have 14 classes remaining, but I don't start until October. Debating the study.com route or if I just bang them out at UMPI. Study.com looks like a pain in rear, to be honest.

@DavidGood With all that time before you start I would recommend you take advantage of the Study discount and get your UMPI count down to the 10 requirement. That way when you start at UMPI you'll have more time in a session to focus on getting a higher grade in only 10 courses vs 14 - that reduces your course load by 1/3.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(07-25-2024, 12:21 PM)allvia Wrote:

@DavidGood With all that time before you start I would recommend you take advantage of the Study discount and get your UMPI count down to the 10 requirement. That way when you start at UMPI you'll have more time in a session to focus on getting a higher grade in only 10 courses vs 14 - that reduces your course load by 1/3.

I was actually leaning more toward moving the start date to September. Thoughts?
(07-25-2024, 03:44 PM)DavidGood Wrote:
(07-25-2024, 12:21 PM)allvia Wrote:

I was actually leaning more toward moving the start date to September. Thoughts?

I think it's still only July - that is a great deal of time to bang out some of those courses on Study.com before the Sept start Smile  Especially since UMPI sessions aren't much longer than the time you have available until then.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • DavidGood
Smile 
(07-25-2024, 11:51 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You really need to look at the degree plan for UMPI, it'll show you which classes to transfer in and what classes to take at UMPI.  For these type of classes, you decide for yourself which ones you want to take by reviewing both the alternative credit class reviews for such classes at Sophia.org or Study.com, and the class reviews for the UMPI Classes.  You decide from that, update your spreadsheet and link us to your google or one drive.  We can make recommendations if needed...

Side note: I would take at least 4-5 classes at Study.com, especially when they've got a special sale going on right now (see bio/signature).  Each additional class exam within the month is $70, you can take 3 extra exams for a total of 5 classes...

Thanks!  I used your link to sign up for Study.com and I searched discord for class reviews.

In case it helps anyone else, I decided to take the following classes at study.com:

Accounting 301: Applied Managerial Accounting
Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management
Business 312: Advanced Operations Management
Personally, since you can't start the UMPI classes until September and you have time you could use between now and then, I would take some in this situation to get your remaining classes down to 10, or even under 10. Getting it to under 10 makes it easier to add minors or to take faster electives depending on your goals.

However, I will say that without that sort of consideration, I really prefer UMPI classes to SDC classes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Criminal Justice BA YourPace Program Completed slaterjack 10 809 1 hour ago
Last Post: Bunnies2012
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 30 3,877 Today, 07:12 AM
Last Post: azmusic
  European studying umpi your pace . MuneebAzhar 70 4,348 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kakasahib
  Adding more sophia and study,com credits ChuckMcNab 2 286 08-26-2024, 09:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 32 9,324 08-23-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 0 314 08-21-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI YourPace BABA UnderGrad sunjaroa 1 321 08-21-2024, 09:22 AM
  Language requirements at UMPI yc1981 9 917 08-16-2024, 11:08 PM
  Transfer cybersecurity minor/major into UMPI? Robson 11 658 08-16-2024, 12:03 PM
  Need help for UMPI YourPace Admission AnnaVu 6 678 08-16-2024, 11:42 AM