Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian Looking for Options
I have searched the forum for this answer but I wasn't too successful with that feature. As a Canadian besides UMPI are there any Canadians on here who have successfully completed a degree at the big three? If so which one is friendly towards Canadian transfer credits.

I have a Business diploma but I think what I'm understanding (through hours of trolling) is I will get some credits for my diploma but I will at minimum require 30 UL credits from the US University/College.I do think in the long wrong even with that, this option will be cheaper and faster than transferring to a Canadian University such as Athabasca.

Looking forward to any Canadians who have done this! Thanks
Actually, all of the schools we recommend here, such as the Big 3 and Competency Based Education degree providers including UMPI will take Canadian credits as long as they've gone through an official evaluation. There really isn't a school that will favor Canadian transfer credits than any other. Most of the Canadians on this board have gone with TESU as that's the main recommendation I had for them.

Otherwise, anything other than the "expensive for-profits such as U of Phoenix" would do, the best thing to start off with is to find the degree and school of choice, if you're looking at a specific degree such as Computer Science, only TESU has a true CS degree major and not a concentration. So, find the degree you're interested in, and see which of the Big 3 or CBE program providers we recommend has it!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
TESU will almost certainly be the most expensive of the main four schools. However, they do NOT require 30 UL credits. The number of UL credits that you need will vary depending on whether it's a business degree or a non-business degree but it's less than 20 UL credits. All of the UL credits need to be in your major/area of study. 6 credits MUST be taken from TESU (cornerstone & capstone).

COSC: 30 UL credits. Not all of them have to be in your chosen major/concentration. Cornerstone & capstone required.

Excelsior: Same as COSC + 1 credit information literacy (IIRC) course required.

UMPI: Exact number of UL credits depends on the major. You do need to take a minimum of 30 credits from UMPI itself.

Seconding bjcheung77's recommendation to choose the degree first and then pick the school based on that.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
That's good to hear. I think I got so overwhelmed reading all the posts and literally should have asked this question 3 months ago Smile
(05-11-2021, 02:16 PM)Digertwo Wrote: I have searched the forum for this answer but I wasn't too successful with that feature. As a Canadian besides UMPI are there any Canadians on here who have successfully completed a degree at the big three? If so which one is friendly towards Canadian transfer credits.

I have a Business diploma but I think what I'm understanding (through hours of trolling) is I will get some credits for my diploma but I will at minimum require 30 UL credits from the US University/College.I do think in the long wrong even with that, this option will be cheaper and faster than transferring to a Canadian University such as Athabasca.

Looking forward to any Canadians who have done this! Thanks

UMPI has a MASSIVE program with Canadians taking courses/completing degrees. The school is on the border of Canada so they have a TON of experience in international students. You can contact the YourPace admissions counselor (Shea) directly to discuss how transferring to UMPI works for Canadian students. Here's her email shea.cushman@maine.edu 

For UMPI, you can complete every class on Sophia except the founds classes and the English classes (they're much easier and faster at UMPI). I also recommend completing Spanish 1 and American Government on InstantCert and Biology 101 L Intro Biology w/ Lab on Study.com. By completing these courses, you'll be in great shape for transferring. Depending on what degree you're going for, there maybe additional courses on Study.com to take. It also depends on if they will give you credit for the business diploma. I would definitely ask them about the business diploma you have and what it means in terms of transferring.
BTW, which city/college did you get your Business Diploma?  If they're from a community college or a university, transfer should be fine.  However, if these are from private colleges, it depends on how the actual evaluation comes into play.  So, I usually recommend the Sophia.org for Lower Level and Study.com for Upper Level credit transfers.  

You can also check out Brandman as they offer the MyPath CBE option, I still suggest getting all your general education/free electives done with Sophia/Study and then work on your Area of Study at the college/university of choice.  Here's a reference post from yesterday: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-BSc-in-CS

I think if you went to a Canadian college, and your transcript is in English, you may not even have to have it evaluated as an International Transcript by all of the Big 3 - but I could be wrong.

It depends on which degree you want as to what school is your best choice - but any of them will work and are Canadian citizen friendly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-11-2021, 03:00 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: BTW, which city/college did you get your Business Diploma?  If they're from a community college or a university, transfer should be fine.  However, if these are from private colleges, it depends on how the actual evaluation comes into play.  So, I usually recommend the Sophia.org for Lower Level and Study.com for Upper Level credit transfers.  

You can also check out Brandman as they offer the MyPath CBE option, I still suggest getting all your general education/free electives done with Sophia/Study and then work on your Area of Study at the college/university of choice.  Here's a reference post from yesterday: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-BSc-in-CS

I have made my decision and applied to TESU for BSBA in Finance. I have been accepted but now in the process of sending my transcripts. Is there a preferred third party site that is better or cheaper than the other for sending my transcripts because I'm international?
They're all roughly the same as far as costs go. WES will expect physical transcripts or transcripts sent directly from the institution so, if that's a problem right now, don't bother with them. Same with ECE. ACEI is a bit easier to work with in that regard. If an electronic transcript is signed digitally or can otherwise be proven to be original and come from the school, they're more likely to be fine if you have to email them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
We will accept the credit recommendations from one of the following agencies when the recommendations are based on a course by course evaluation and sent on an official foreign credential evaluation to TESU:

Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI)
Center for Applied Research, Evaluations & Education, Inc.
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
World Educational Services, Inc. (WES)
SDR Educational Consultants
SpanTran Evaluation Services
Transcript Research

These are the ones that TESU accepts, the list is much larger than COSC/Excelsior as those recommend ECE and WES. I used to recommend ECE and WES but now recommend CAREE (2nd option in this list), you can also check out Spantran as others have used them as well... It's personal preference, check all of these and see which one fits you... Link: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/apply-in...al-student

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 2 243 09-15-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LVN/LPN to RN - options for (mostly) online education? studyingfortests 18 2,007 09-13-2024, 02:30 AM
Last Post: AaronGibson
  Degree Advise/plan Wanted for a Canadian Student nbid 10 566 09-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  TESU BSBA OPM elective options promise22 4 356 06-26-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Canadian Looking For Bachelors sfilipe 7 612 06-11-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: sfilipe
Sad Degree for Breaking into Tech and Further Study Options Korbolko 4 480 06-10-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Pikachu
  Canadian 90 credit BA -> any 120 credit BA rarebird 4 611 05-07-2024, 01:59 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 342 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  Fish and Wildlife Management options Daniel14 13 800 04-04-2024, 07:50 AM
Last Post: RJ77
  Advice On Degree Options TaraD2020 16 1,856 02-09-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: TaraD2020