Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP and CompTIA credits for BS in CS students?
Where can I see CLEP transfer policy of WGU?

I'm planning to suffice all of BS in CS program's liberal arts requirements by taking CLEP exams.

Also, I'm curious if they award credits for taking CompTIA exams or AWS exams?

If so, how do they transfer toward BS in CS program? how many credits? and which CompTIA exams?

A good news is that I found they accept Edx IT Career Framework credits. I'm planning to take that one. Big Grin

I'm not interested in taking ACE courses for this degree program... ACE courses are too easy and forgettable. They won't help me learning anything.

do they accept DSST exams too?
LOL, CLEP/MS is the same thing... they're probably even easier as the learning material is somewhat sub par and you can even go through it by fast forwarding the MS video material and skipping the readings, etc. I guess everyone has their own way of learning, CLEP/MS is very similar, if I had the choice, I'd go Sophia.org as you get the video/pdf material to read through and use as reference if you wanted.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • nomaduser
(10-03-2023, 10:54 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: LOL, CLEP/MS is the same thing... they're probably even easier as the learning material is somewhat sub par and you can even go through it by fast forwarding the MS video material and skipping the readings, etc.   I guess everyone has their own way of learning, CLEP/MS is very similar, if I had the choice, I'd go Sophia.org as you get the video/pdf material to read through and use as reference if you wanted.

CLEP is a lot more difficult than Sophia courses. CLEP exam text books usually have 300+ pages.
https://www.amazon.com/CLEP%C2%AE-Introd...738610178/

They come with a much better and more detailed guideline than Sophia. Sophia seems like a watered down version of everything.
It's not for me because if I study like that, I forget too easily.
If you already have an accredited RA bachelor's degree in IT, your gen eds should be taken care of. Also, I'm guessing you'd have done a decent amount of tech courses during an IT degree and may not need that edx course. Have you tried applying to WGU and sent transcripts to see what they accept yet? I'm sure your RA BSIT should cover at least some of the core IT courses.

As for CLEP/DSST, they accept them but there isn't a transfer partner's page for it.

This page should show what certifications will transfer in as:

https://partners.wgu.edu/general-transfe...or-dynamic
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • nomaduser, origamishuttle
(10-03-2023, 08:29 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Where can I see CLEP transfer policy of WGU?

I'm planning to suffice all of BS in CS program's liberal arts requirements by taking CLEP exams.

Also, I'm curious if they award credits for taking CompTIA exams or AWS exams?

If so, how do they transfer toward BS in CS program? how many credits? and which CompTIA exams?

A good news is that I found they accept Edx IT Career Framework credits. I'm planning to take that one. Big Grin

I'm not interested in taking ACE courses for this degree program... ACE courses are too easy and forgettable. They won't help me learning anything.

do they accept DSST exams too?

CLEP/DSST/AP Exam WGU transfer policy
https://development-6-4--publish--wgu.ae...exams.html

There is no transfer equivalent list for any of these.

Cert Transfer Equivalent List (They do take AWS and CompTIA)
https://partners.wgu.edu/general-transfer-guidelines

WGU CS Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

BTW, CLEP is ACE credits.

(10-03-2023, 11:00 AM)nomaduser Wrote:
(10-03-2023, 10:54 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: LOL, CLEP/MS is the same thing... they're probably even easier as the learning material is somewhat sub par and you can even go through it by fast forwarding the MS video material and skipping the readings, etc.   I guess everyone has their own way of learning, CLEP/MS is very similar, if I had the choice, I'd go Sophia.org as you get the video/pdf material to read through and use as reference if you wanted.

CLEP is a lot more difficult than Sophia courses. CLEP exam text books usually have 300+ pages.
https://www.amazon.com/CLEP%C2%AE-Introd...738610178/

They come with a much better and more detailed guideline than Sophia. Sophia seems like a watered down version of everything.
It's not for me because if I study like that, I forget too easily.

Here we go again with the debate over which provider is more reputable.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...n-3-months

You provided an example where the book is only 228 pages, and half of it is generic information on how CLEP exams are conducted. Many guides are even less than 100 pages, which is shorter than a typical Sophia course.

Of course, you could argue against this by suggesting reading a 1,000-page book, but that's not necessary to pass a CLEP exam.

For some of these CLEPs, you can pass by answering only around 50% of the questions correctly. In fact, for most CLEPs, you can succeed with little to no studying, or with just 5-20 hours of study.

If you're looking for the most rigorous option, consider taking the Saylor exams, where you must achieve a 70% to pass. However, the downside to Saylor is that the information is scattered and not well-organized, which can result in a lot of time wasted.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • nomaduser, origamishuttle, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  75% of credits oram3189 5 707 02-15-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Expired CompTIA Certs for Transfer siersema 4 680 01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  CompTIA exams through WGU, or not? pluggingalong 6 1,224 10-09-2023, 03:44 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 1,073 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  More than 90 credits akr680 8 1,998 09-08-2022, 11:28 AM
Last Post: akr680
  $500 tuition credit for new students only rachel83az 8 1,967 06-24-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: carebear_007
  Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester mohelena02 12 2,384 01-19-2022, 05:16 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Will CLEP English Composition Transfer to WGU for English Comp I & II? BitWiseGuy 7 2,475 10-22-2021, 09:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Students - Back up your Google Drive ashkir 4 2,050 07-25-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: jsd
  College Composition Modular CLEP for English Composition I? Marok 0 950 04-24-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Marok