Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buh bye Charter Oak
For what it’s worth, I just nixed COSC from my shortlist of institutions I am considering:

1. They enrolled/matriculated me without my consent which is entirely too premature based on my testing strategy and planned timeline. Come to find out, they now have a policy of automatically matriculating anyone in the next semester once their financial aid application is approved

2. I just learned that a custom concentration to include both Business Administration and Information Systems would read on my degree as: Bachelor of Science, Individualized Concentration (or something to that affect) without either Business Administration and/or Information Systems appearing on my diploma

3. Every adviser I have spoken with there talks at me and not with me and constantly interrupts to the point where you can’t even finish a sentence (one of my biggest pet peeves... grrrrrr!)

Frustrating day, but tomorrow's a new day and it's onward and upward...
Rob
PMP, ITIL, CCNA, CCNA Security, MCP, Master CIW, A+, Network +, Security+, iNet+, IT Project+
BS in Business Administration, Concentration in Information Technology (Magna Cum Laude: 3.81 GPA)
MS in Technology and Innovation, Specialization in Program and Project Delivery (in progress, expected 2012)
Ew. Sounds like I wouldn't want to give them my money either. So far Excelsior has been alright, but their VA Financial Aid people are painfully inept sometimes. At least they are polite.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
The_Professor Wrote:Frustrating day, but tomorrow's a new day and it's onward and upward...

Sounds like someone is coming over to the dark side, I mean Excelsior. I haven't had any issues with them to date.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I'm a TESC guy for the time being. I'd love to enroll and register for "War and American Society," but the vaunted VA Buffalo office still hasn't gotten around to processing my GI bill paperwork after 2 and a half months. Let's just hope they get their ish together before I loose my 75 clams :-(
DEGREES EARNED: [SIZE="1"]
BA, History, TESC '10
AAS, Mechanics and Maintenance, TESC '10
[/size]
TESTS PASSED:[SIZE="1"]
CLEP Social Sciences & History - 70/50
CLEP American Government - 65/50
CLEP English Composition General - 68/50
CLEP A & I Literature 70/50
CLEP Sociology 73/50
CLEP College Math 74/50
CLEP Intro Psychology 72/50
CLEP College Algebra 65/50
CLEP Macroeconomics 73/50
CLEP Microeconomics 70/50
CLEP Western Civ. I 79/50
CLEP Western Civ. II 70/50
CLEP US History I 79/50
CLEP US History II 78/50
DSST Technical Writing 63/46
DSST Intro to Computing 463/400
DSST Substance Abuse 463/400
DSST Fundamentals of Algebra 433/400
DSST World Religions 467/400
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction 68/47
DSST A History of the Vietnam War 78/44
DSST An Introduction to the Modern Middle East 80/47
DSST Western Europe since 1945 71/47
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 70/45

[SIZE="2"]ON DECK:[/SIZE]

A B.E. or an MBA
[/SIZE]
Wow, that's the first negative I think I've ever heard about COSC's customer service from any dept. I totally agree about the "individualized studies" or whatever the heck major it is that they give people. Having been enrolled at both EC and TESC at different times I can definitely say Excelsior is the better of the 2 in almost every category that has to do with customer service and timeliness in getting things done. I personally ended up going with Thomas Edison primarily because it was a state school. Plus I like the name better. Either one though will help you through the same doors. Good luck...
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
Bummer. You should look into TESC, they are awful at customer service, but won't do anything without you asking (and asking, and askingBig Grin )

I want to mention though, that it is standard to only list "Bachelor of Arts" or "Bachelor of Science" on diplomas, listing a concentration/major on the paper you frame is not typical.
cookderosa Wrote:Bummer. You should look into TESC, they are awful at customer service, but won't do anything without you asking (and asking, and askingBig Grin )

I want to mention though, that it is standard to only list "Bachelor of Arts" or "Bachelor of Science" on diplomas, listing a concentration/major on the paper you frame is not typical.

I concur...my degree from Excelsior does not mention my Management or Psychology concentrations...of course there is not that much room after that big gold seal they plaster on it...Rolleyes but I digress...
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
We liked COSC!

Sidney
cookderosa Wrote:I want to mention though, that it is standard to only list "Bachelor of Arts" or "Bachelor of Science" on diplomas, listing a concentration/major on the paper you frame is not typical.

Hmmmm....Both my A.S. and B.S. from EC list their respective majors too.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
My AS diploma / degree from EC doesn't say anything but Associate in Science. My transcript lists my area of focus at the top, but the diploma itself doesn't.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak and Public Speaking from Study.com Clodyneseidel 5 1,943 05-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: randomatom
  Charter Oak & Torah College Credits books2226 4 916 06-14-2016, 02:08 AM
Last Post: hgreen0
  Charter Oak State College To Accept edX Courses for Credit soliloquy 5 967 02-26-2016, 08:43 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Question about Charter Oak a11111 2 884 01-17-2016, 08:19 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Charter Oak -- Natural Sciences Requirement -- Lab Question TinHead 4 912 12-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Last Post: TinHead
  Which Fema Credits for Charter oak? creationstory 2 677 11-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  Sophia courses and Charter Oak,TESC rabbitelf 1 595 03-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Charter Oak admission needs 9 College Credits, TESC needs HS Diploma aeilion 9 1,446 12-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Devanna
  New Charter University $199 per month or $796 per semester(16 weeks) keymommy2000 3 1,088 01-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  My Charter Oak Evaluation Gusgus 0 488 11-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Last Post: Gusgus