Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
--Biology Exam On Friday, Should I get Peterson Or IC to practice tonight
dmdean Wrote:I just took the Bio yesterday, studied for 2 weeks about 20 hours and passed. I used Peterson's and my sons Adv. Bio book. I studied and restudied terms. I would suggest rescheduling. After (5) 6 credit Cleps this was by far the most difficult. I have no bio. background and don't particulary feel strong in it. You must go with the writers postings in the exam specific feedback, they were right on and that is exactly what I used to study. I googled every question listed and used Petersons. I wouldn't chance it if you feel as if you have not studied, you have to be familiar with the terminology. Hope this helps. Best!!!!

Congrats on your pass!

cate
BS (UMUC) in 2010, 30+ years in the making!!

Intro to Computing 63
Astronomy 63
Technical Writing 62
Principles of Mgt 71
Principles of Marketing 68
Substance Abuse 467
College Math 56
Principles of Finance 425
Principles of Statistics 458

Exams: ALL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

GRADUATION--UMUC--MAY 15, 2010 (unbelievable)
Ice11 Wrote:I have been procrastinating all Summer to take the Biology CLEP, and its going to be my first CLEP. Today it is finally hitting meSad that day after tomorrow I have to give the Exam.
Would you suggest getting the Peterson 's practice Tests or IC's.Both cost the same I think.
One other thing should I study more and then try them or study from them....or worst case scenario is change the test date.

I haven't been focusing on studying and have no bioology background.
I have been studying from Cliff Study Solver, online a bit and some other websites that were mentioned here?

[SIZE="2"]You will probably need to study hard for this exam if you do not have a background in biology. I recently passed this one (just barely) and I put at least a few hours a week into it for over two months. Biology is a very complex subject and incremental study is likely to be vital to your success. I must strongly caution you against attempting a "brain dump" on this particular exam. [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Here is my lineup since January 2008![/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]UP NEXT: Introductory Business Law
Biology 53 Cool
Intro to Educational Psychology 63
Principles of Marketing 65
College Algebra 60
Introductory Psychology 70
Human Growth and Development 68
Information Sys. Computer App. 48 OUCH! Sad
Introductory Sociology 66
Principles of Management 70
[B]US History II
[B]Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
54 [B][SIZE="1"]COLD[/SIZE]
English Composition with Essay 52 [SIZE="1"]COLD[/SIZE]
Plus, the 24 credits I've earned at the traditional B&M so far.
[SIZE="2"]
[COLOR="Red"]I am graduating in December of 2009!
BS in Human Resources Management
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
[/B][/B][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
tvelasquez Wrote:How can you encourage someone to take a Biology exam after they have indicated that they have no background in the subject and that they have not studied for the exam (“Cliff Study Solver, online a bit”)? And then you suggest that they pick answer C or D if they don’t know the answer. I’m sorry but that’s crazy. Biology is not that simple, just pick C or D.

How about picking the correct answer after studying?

My advise to ICE11 save your money, study properly for the exam, and don’t believe that you can walk into the exam room without any preparation and select C or D, if it was that easy we would all have completed 6 hours of Biology and would not be here. That’s the craziest thing I have ever heard!

Just take the time to study and do well. Good luck on your decision!

I studied only a week with cliffsnotes and passed this along with Nat science and french and got out of there with 24 credits in less than 5 hours.

Yes of course there were questions I could narrow it down to 2 answers and some questions I had to take some wild guess and later on found out that usually the right answers were either C or D.

I said usually when you have no clue specially some of those questions coming right out of a pathophysiology or microbiology textbook so please read the whole post instead of taking just one sentence out of the context.

If you know the cliffsnotes biology material and you can score a 50 or above on peterson, I say dont be scared, go for it, you will pass !!
Hello Ice11 - Just wondering what you opted to do?
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ali4nia Wrote:of course if you always know all the answers like ShotoJuku and you never have to take a wild guess then this advice is not for you. Smile

but seriously though, if you have been studying the cliffsnotes cover to cover, you should be fine, I d say go for it, otherwise wait and study more.
>>

I disagree. I have earned about 60 credits through testing- and I knew lots of answers..Wink ..many many times the answer was A or B! I noticed no tendency of answers to appear more frequently in the C or D slot.

I would like to add, that Shoto might know the answers from studying, an excellent method for reducing the necessity of wild guesses.

My vote- reschedule.
motuterry Wrote:I'm scheduled to take the Biology exam on 9/2. Knowing Biology is not my strong suit, I have spent 6 weeks preparing.

I have read a number of posts throughout this forum either asking or suggesting which test is easier. In my view, the "easy" tests are the ones you prepare for. While having a background in a subject area is a plus, my recommendation is NEVER assume a test will be simple. While the passing rate for those who are members of this forum is high, this does not reflect the rest of the population. College testing is not some game where one can guess their way out of attending class or avoid the effort of gaining a real education. Testing is a method of "PROVING" your mastery of a given subject.
Self education is a great method of learning, but it isn't for everyone and it may not be for every subject.

I'm not sure how I'll do on 9/2 but I do know that I will walk into the test knowing I have done my best to prepare.

That was so good, I thought I'd like to read it again.
((((((applause)))))
cookderosa Wrote:That was so good, I thought I'd like to read it again.
((((((applause)))))
Thank you Jennifer!
[SIZE="4"]Terry[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][B][SIZE="2"]How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"]
AS and BS completed
MBA - In Progress[/SIZE]
ali4nia Wrote:of course if you always know all the answers like ShotoJuku and you never have to take a wild guess then this advice is not for you.....

One does not need to know all of the answers, and I certainly do not, however I do know that guessing your way through the C's & D's on an exam is the fastest way to failure. Rolleyes
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Ice11 Wrote:I have been procrastinating all Summer to take the Biology CLEP, and its going to be my first CLEP. Today it is finally hitting meSad that day after tomorrow I have to give the Exam.
Would you suggest getting the Peterson 's practice Tests or IC's.Both cost the same I think.
One other thing should I study more and then try them or study from them....or worst case scenario is change the test date.

I have been studying from Cliff Study Solver, online a bit and some other websites that were mentioned here?

So how did the test go? Did you decide to take it?

Excuse me....I see that a lot of people are talking about IC's but I still don't know what the abbreviation stands for...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 3 1,223 09-23-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  PMP practice quizzes or exams Kjnova 5 500 08-18-2024, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 516 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,917 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  50% off Black Friday sale Udacity Imbanewbie 0 462 11-18-2023, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  ENEB got overloaded due to Red Friday sale! bjcheung77 9 1,952 06-14-2023, 12:13 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 834 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Grammarly 50% off Black Friday... new and renewals studyingfortests 6 1,120 12-28-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Pappok
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 1,098 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,378 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry