Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacherlors in Computer Science
I just have a general question. I am in the Air Force and we have a program called the "AU ABC". It basically partners the air force with different colleges and universities to help us go from an associates to a bachelors degree. My question is does it matter where i get my bachelors from? Most of the universities that are in the cooperative i have never really heard of.
Are you planning on using the degree to work in the civilian world or are you trying to get promoted within the Air Force ranks?
This is for my civilian life.
Bump... This is for the civilian world
Look at the University of Illinois-Springfield's CS program. Might help if you explain the benefits of the program you mentioned above so that others can tell why you are considering it.
Quote:Look at the University of Illinois-Springfield's CS program

Solid, well respected and affordable program.

Another one here
Quote:Columbus State University: Computer Science - TSYS School of Computer Science
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
thuggedout Wrote:I just have a general question. I am in the Air Force and we have a program called the "AU ABC". It basically partners the air force with different colleges and universities to help us go from an associates to a bachelors degree. My question is does it matter where i get my bachelors from? Most of the universities that are in the cooperative i have never really heard of.

If you are using your CCAF to go straight into a bachelor's program, the AU-ABC program is good if you pay attention to accreditation and do your own research. However, I just learned this recently, if you are solely relying on TA you might want to look for an associate's program that transfers better to a bachelor's you are actually interested in. The Air Force will pay TA for any degree up to a Master's as long as you don't have a higher degree. So essentially you can get TA for an Associate's even if you have a CCAF degree since that doesn't count. To answer your question though, as long as you have experience in the field you are interested in, or can show you are knowledgeable in the field, a degree is really icing on the cake for military members.
smokey2011 Wrote:If you are using your CCAF to go straight into a bachelor's program, the AU-ABC program is good if you pay attention to accreditation and do your own research. However, I just learned this recently, if you are solely relying on TA you might want to look for an associate's program that transfers better to a bachelor's you are actually interested in. The Air Force will pay TA for any degree up to a Master's as long as you don't have a higher degree. So essentially you can get TA for an Associate's even if you have a CCAF degree since that doesn't count. To answer your question though, as long as you have experience in the field you are interested in, or can show you are knowledgeable in the field, a degree is really icing on the cake for military members.

This is part of my research. And i am adding a lil bit of icing to this cake. I have around 5yrs left to 20. I am outta the air force at 20.
About the AU to ABC program.....
The Air University - Associate to Baccalaureate Cooperative Program (AU-ABC) Program is an initiative between Air University and civilian higher education institutions to offer baccalaureate degree programs via distance learning that are relevant to an individual’s Air Force career field. The program is designed to transfer CCAF credits so students can obtain a bachelor’s degree with no more than 60 additional semester credits.

Sounds good right......Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CBE program for data analysis or data science? FreeAgnes 3 422 08-22-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 532 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 563 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 504 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 2,056 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 989 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 633 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,711 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 5,106 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 21,974 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts