Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in English TESU Credit by Exam Process
So I've just been accepted at TESU for BA in English and I'm trying to figure out exactly what the process is to start earning credits by examination. I've gotten about as much info from the school as I think I'm likely to get without actually enrolling(which for obvious reasons I don't want to do until absolutely necessary), which basically means they've told me that all but the Capstone and Cornerstone credits can be tested out of.  So I'm really hoping someone here can tell me exactly which exams from which providers are going to satisfy which credits. I know that's some really specific info I'm requesting but I'm hoping someone here has earned this degree via a similar process from TESU and thus is familiar with the process. I know that this information is probably provided somewhere on this forum but I haven't been able to find it (many of the most promising links don't work for some reason). I'm just really worried that the exams I take aren't going to count towards the degree and end up being a waste of time/money. There seems to be a lot of general info about these exams but nothing specific as to which exams will satisfy which credits. It's all rather confusing. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks
[-] The following 1 user Likes cifwt3377's post:
  • kcbksmom
(03-20-2020, 09:31 AM)cifwt3377 Wrote: So I've just been accepted at TESU for BA in English and I'm trying to figure out exactly what the process is to start earning credits by examination. I've gotten about as much info from the school as I think I'm likely to get without actually enrolling(which for obvious reasons I don't want to do until absolutely necessary), which basically means they've told me that all but the Capstone and Cornerstone credits can be tested out of.  So I'm really hoping someone here can tell me exactly which exams from which providers are going to satisfy which credits. I know that's some really specific info I'm requesting but I'm hoping someone here has earned this degree via a similar process from TESU and thus is familiar with the process. I know that this information is probably provided somewhere on this forum but I haven't been able to find it (many of the most promising links don't work for some reason). I'm just really worried that the exams I take aren't going to count towards the degree and end up being a waste of time/money. There seems to be a lot of general info about these exams but nothing specific as to which exams will satisfy which credits. It's all rather confusing. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks
Well I can tell you this. To answer your question you're going to have to answer afew questions. Do you have any credits at all if you do post the class name, your grade, and if it was a RA community college or something else? Did you already read the free credits post? If you haven't you really should. After you do all that other ppl on this forum maybe able to help you more.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit

Here's the free credit wiki.
Right now all of Sophia courses are free hop on those soon if you haven't already gotten to it.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

So, that is correct, you can "test out" of everything (or use alternative credit).

I suggest you spend a few weeks on this forum researching what that means.

I also suggest you enroll at TESU immediately, as they tend to make changes that are unfavorable to students, and you will want to lock in your catalog now. There is no fee to enroll, except for a TECEP exam (so $50 for a 1cr exam, although I suggest a 3cr exam that will be able to be used in your degree in a GE or requirement). There are no per-term fees at TESU, so no reason not to enroll.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-20-2020, 01:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, that is correct, you can "test out" of everything (or use alternative credit).

Oh wow, BA in English from TESU is now completely alt credit friendly or am I taking this out of context and not understanding?
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(03-20-2020, 03:53 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 01:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, that is correct, you can "test out" of everything (or use alternative credit).

Oh wow, BA in English from TESU is now completely alt credit friendly or am I taking this out of context and not understanding?

Oops, sorry, I was wrong.  I thought that with the addition of Non-Western Lit at Study.com, it was available, but I you still need 2 UL courses from somewhere else in order to complete the degree (I counted Advanced Tech Writing from Study.com as the 2nd course, and the  Poetry course from Coopersmith as the 3rd course).  I show that you could get those last 2 UL courses for around $600 each through U of Arkansas Self-Paced, CSU-Pueblo IS, U of Idaho IS, or BYU-IS.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-20-2020, 11:53 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 09:31 AM)cifwt3377 Wrote: So I've just been accepted at TESU for BA in English and I'm trying to figure out exactly what the process is to start earning credits by examination. I've gotten about as much info from the school as I think I'm likely to get without actually enrolling(which for obvious reasons I don't want to do until absolutely necessary), which basically means they've told me that all but the Capstone and Cornerstone credits can be tested out of.  So I'm really hoping someone here can tell me exactly which exams from which providers are going to satisfy which credits. I know that's some really specific info I'm requesting but I'm hoping someone here has earned this degree via a similar process from TESU and thus is familiar with the process. I know that this information is probably provided somewhere on this forum but I haven't been able to find it (many of the most promising links don't work for some reason). I'm just really worried that the exams I take aren't going to count towards the degree and end up being a waste of time/money. There seems to be a lot of general info about these exams but nothing specific as to which exams will satisfy which credits. It's all rather confusing. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks
Well I can tell you this. To answer your question you're going to have to answer afew questions. Do you have any credits at all if you do post the class name, your grade, and if it was a RA community college or something else?  Did you already read the free credits post? If you haven't you really should. After you do all that other ppl on this forum maybe able to help you more.

Right now all of Sophia courses are free  hop on those soon if you haven't already gotten to it.
 I don't have any credits. I have read some of the free credit posts but they don't seem to say specifically which tests satisfy which credits and many of the links don't work. I honestly don't understand why it isn't set out in a simple straightforward manner, there seems to be a plethora of tests, providers, etc. but what credit they satisfy exactly is somehow not clear (unless I'm missing something, which I may well be). It just seems like people who have completed the degrees would be able to set out precisely what steps they took in order to do it but I can't seem to find that info.  As I said, many of the links don't work so maybe all this info is on the forum and I just can't access it.
Do you need or want an English degree for any reason?

Or are you just one of the many people on this forum who wants to teach Englsi abroad and needs any degree. If not consider getting a liberal studies degree. If you want you could do a humanities concentration with liberal studies at TESU. Or consider Charter Oak your degree will be at least 2k cheaper and you could Liberal studies with an English concentration.
You really sure you're looking for a BA English or just a BA with any concentration to teach?  I assume you're open to any of the Big 3 as long as it's cheap/easy/fast.  I've read your previous post and it seems you're just looking to teach abroad: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-questions?

You might want to start off reading the Beginner's Guide and also the spreadsheet templates on post #28/31 in my signature.  Don't click onto any links until you get to post #28 or later, those links no longer work as you mentioned, the site for the wiki has changed...

Essentially, the guide was created to help newbies start the process and give them an overview of the requirements and a spreadsheet to show them what can go where as examples.  You should spend some time "reading" forum posts after you have read the basics. 

Everyone here is very helpful and will try to assist you getting to your goal.  Now what sets my answers apart from others on this board is this: Mostly everyone would try to get you two of the three, cheap/easy/fast, where as I look at your info more deeply and try to find a 4th - value on ROI.

And to quickly answer your main concern, what courses from which providers go where.  When you create a spreadsheet template or download mine, it'll show you the requirements needed for the degree.  40 courses total 120 credits, you need to look at providers that you're interested in, change the spreadsheet to with the info course you want to take.   Where do you find the course?  That's going to be where you dig through the recommended providers and find the equivalency.  Ta-da, you are done! 

So, to clarify, the previous poster is amazing and provided you the free credits and Sophia.org credits.  My suggestion is to do the exact same thing.  Courses here will go into your general education, free electives and you get over 100 credits free!!!  When you complete one course at a time, update your spreadsheet that you've done English I/II, etc, and color code them done.  Again, view the transfer equivalency to make sure they come over.  Not all providers have the course you need, so you do so with multiple providers.

Last but not least, my recommendation in the spreadsheet template "was" StraighterLine/Study.com, you should do the Sophia.org/Study.com combo for the win.  Here are the links to the equivalency, you download my template, update it when you're done.  Hope this helps, have fun, good luck... keep safe during this lockdown period, it's the perfect time to start!

To begin, you need to setup an ACE credit registry account to "credit bank" all your courses you have completed from different providers.
Sign up here: https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseaction=transcripts.main , when prompted for a SSN - it's optional, leave it blank!

1) Sign up for FREE courses for College Credit to get you started on the process, these course are all FREE and gives you up to 15 college credits.
Once you're done with these courses, you need to add them into your ACE credit registry: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Free_Sources_of_Credit
So, please sign up for the FREE ethics course and the FREE TEEX Cybersecurity courses and the two Sophia.org FREE credit ones.

2)  Sophia.org has ALL their courses FREE right now because of the Coronavirus COVID-19, all schools are closed and they wanted to provide some promotional studies to students affected.  Each of these courses are $329 USD, there are 33+ courses, this equals to ~$11,000 worth of college credit FREE!  Sign up for it right away but you should not start the courses until you are ready, you can set the dates for starting the courses later, each and every one of them.  They have 33 courses, that's ~99 credits towards a Bachelors degree!

3) ModernStates.org, CLEP & AP Vouchers - If you look at the link above for FREE credits, this is listed because they provide Vouchers for exams and also reimburse you for your exam fees.  There is a test center downtown, you do not want to do the tests yet but you may want to get the vouchers for later use.  They have up to 33 courses of credits to be obtained, that also equates to ~99 credits!

4) Depending on your school (COSC/EC/TESU) Your 15-30 Upper Level requirements can come from a slew of providers but Study.com is the cheapest/easiest/fastest of the bunch and the value is, it has the most amount of Upper Level that overlaps in subject materials so you can get the courses you need to finish the degree here!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 5 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • asianphd, beautifulpsalms, hlg38, ISKBizz15, schlocker
(03-22-2020, 12:17 PM)cifwt3377 Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 11:53 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
Well I can tell you this. To answer your question you're going to have to answer afew questions. Do you have any credits at all if you do post the class name, your grade, and if it was a RA community college or something else?  Did you already read the free credits post? If you haven't you really should. After you do all that other ppl on this forum maybe able to help you more.

Right now all of Sophia courses are free  hop on those soon if you haven't already gotten to it.
 I don't have any credits. I have read some of the free credit posts but they don't seem to say specifically which tests satisfy which credits and many of the links don't work. I honestly don't understand why it isn't set out in a simple straightforward manner, there seems to be a plethora of tests, providers, etc. but what credit they satisfy exactly is somehow not clear (unless I'm missing something, which I may well be). It just seems like people who have completed the degrees would be able to set out precisely what steps they took in order to do it but I can't seem to find that info.  As I said, many of the links don't work so maybe all this info is on the forum and I just can't access it.

So first, try to remember that this board is run by volunteers - no one is getting paid for this.

Second, it's organic, and evolves over time.

Third, things change, a lot, over time.  So what worked for someone 6 months ago or 3 years ago, may not work now (or there may be more options).

Fourth, everyone is different.  I can post what I did to get my degree (a BSBA in HR from TESU), but it won't apply to most people unless they want to do exactly what I did BEFORE I started this process (73cr or some came from CC's and 4yr colleges).  You can't just copy someone else's degree unless you are getting the exact same degree, and have the exact same options, and come in with the exact same credits (many people already have college credit when they do this).
If you do the free ethics course, the free TEEX courses and as many free Sophia courses as you can. You could easily have over half a BA done from TESU or COSC. This wouldn't cost you any money or require any planning. Also, I highly recommend CSM learn its $39 and meets math at TESU and Liberal arts elective at COSC and I believe it meets math at EC. If you are math-phobic I can't recommend CSM enough!

If you are set on either TESU or COSC for a BA. Do this it won't require any planning but I know it will work and easily get you half way done with a BA at either just with these free options.

If you care how they transfer:
https://tesu.sophia.org/
https://excelsior.sophia.org/#benefits
https://charteroak.sophia.org/

Heres what to do:
1. Free ethics course
2. Free TEEX courses (Boring but free, at least try one. If you hate them then move on)
3. Free (for now) Sophia.org
4. CSM course $39 (highly recommended)

You don't have to waste your time doing too much degree planning right now just do the free classes to get started and then go from there once you have some credits.

Also, CLEP and DSST are good options but I can't recommend them right now because most test centers are closed because fo the virus. If you are somehow you are near an open center then give CLEP and DSST a shot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • ISKBizz15

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU New Website LevelUP 12 701 10-13-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Credly and Non ACE Certs > TESU credit? mbcummings 9 480 10-12-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English requirements + info needed alexeo_13 31 952 10-12-2024, 11:32 AM
  TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci trying2grad 14 1,417 10-10-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: trying2grad
  TESU and DEAC wow 12 560 10-09-2024, 05:45 PM
  Google Cloud Data Analytics- UL credits for TESU charfife 12 1,261 10-06-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: thornytumbleweed
  2024 TESU Commencement - October 5th jch 4 544 10-05-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jch
  New WIki TESU BS Cloud Computing Degree Plan LevelUP 2 237 10-03-2024, 08:55 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Biology Bachelor kakasahib 1 235 09-28-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Any reason not to drop BSBA CIS from the old TESU catalog? jazzcat 2 267 09-24-2024, 10:23 AM