Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Weight Placed on the College Board Accuplacer Prep App?
I plan on starting at a brick and mortar community college to eventually transfer for a Business Admin Bachelor's at a state school. I purchased the Accuplacer Prep App and it seems kinda easy. I'm acing the reading comprehension and sentence structure tests that it has (high 90%s) every time. The arithmatic and college algebra portions I feel I need a little more practice on but I still get between 80-85% on both of those. Does anyone know if these practice tests hold any weight? Am I wasting my time by doing Accuplacer at all? The community college will let you claim up to half the amount of credits by CLEP exam.

Any feedback at this point would great!
If you Clep math and english there is no need for the Accuplacer. I met the math requirement for my AA with a placement exam; however, when I transferred to another school I had to take their placement exam. I thought to myself that I should have just taken Clep 'College Algebra' and been done with it.
With that said, there are other options if your school accepts ACE. The last person you should consult is an academic advisor. Someone in the transcript office would know best.
I think he wants to do CLEP for those, he just wants to know if the difficulty of the questions is comparable.
BS Liberal Arts progress - 105/120
I had a mom proudly tell me that her son did so well on the Accuplacer exam that his community college said he didn't need to take College Algebra and he could start with precalculus. I tried to explain to her that for about the same amount of money he could have taken CLEP College Algebra and gotten credit for it. She didn't get it.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Okay, I have a lot to say about the Accuplacer, but I will try to show restraint. Smile

Two things to keep in separate piles (mentally) are college entrance requirements and college credit. All community colleges do have entrance requirements that include some type of placement assessment. Now, they have one you can take for free (Accuplacer is one brand, another is called Compass) and sometimes they allow you to use an existing test score on an ACT, SAT, or AP. In addition, some schools will waive that assessment if you have a degree or college credit. It is up to YOUR COMMUNITY COLLEGE's written policy how you meet this requirement, so find it. Look it up online or get it from your testing center and or advisor. There is one.

The issue of college credit is muddy because technically, a passing score on a CLEP or AP exam isn't college credit until a college has awarded it....so even if you passed College Math or Algebra CLEP, only when it's brought onto your transcript, evaluated, and accepted do you have college credit. IF your school will accept CLEP credit for placement, then you can pursue that option if you'd like. NOTE that you'll have to also check your CC's CLEP policy, because colleges pick and choose which CLEP exams and which scores they'll accept. I think that's something you should know, but it's not nearly as important as knowing how the Accuplacer can bite you in the rear.

The Accuplacer is taken on campus, and scores are logged (as opposed to CLEP scores, which are confidential, and you only submit PASSING scores). If you make a cut score in a section (determined by your school) then you are "ready" for 101 classes. (English 101 probably requires passing scores in both writing at X and reading at X). If one or more of your scores falls below the cut line, you can possibly retake that section (sometimes for a fee). Now, if you don't pass the cut line again, you're going to be tracked into a "Developmental" course for the subject. There is nothing wrong with a developmental course, especially if you need it....the problem is when you're sitting on CLEP credit that you'd like to bring in. Most schools will deny CLEP credit in any course that you have either not placed into or have failed previously. This can be an issue. Also, developmental classes are a HUGE CASH COW for colleges- I promised not to go too long with my answer, but let me just summarize my opinion that scoring in a developmental class does not mean you necessarily belong there, but those extra 1-2-3 classes can add a semester or a YEAR's worth of tuition dollars to the college's revenue, and colleges LOVE the developmental classes. Check your school's catalog, they offer zillions of sections- it's BIG money. I believe there are ethical issues woven into this topic, that I won't dip into. But, they don't count toward your degree....but they charge you full price!
Finally, since your scores are logged, every time you try to register, you'll be booted out for not having a passing score. Those developmental classes are REQUIRED to be completed for not only English and math, but also for almost every science, history, psychology, sociology, etc. So, you're blocked from all but a few courses until you complete the sequence.

So, what should you do? Find out all the rules surrounding the test, as well as the consequences for each cut level for scores. It wouldn't hurt to investigate the CLEP policy of English and Math options either. At the end of the day, you still may have to take it, but if you do, you're doing EXACTLY the right thing by practicing!!!! Good job!
clep3705 Wrote:I had a mom proudly tell me that her son did so well on the Accuplacer exam that his community college said the didn't need to take College Algebra and he could start with precalculus. I tried to explain to her that for about the same amount of money he could have taken CLEP College Algebra and gotten credit for it. She didn't get it.

The Accuplacer should be free if he took it at his CC. I think it also depends on the degree. If he was going to transfer into a STEM degree, then generally the FIRST math is calc 1, which would mean anything under would count as credit for tuition/financial aid, but not toward his degree, thus no advantage. If he was going into an AAS for which College Algebra or lower would have worked, then I'd suggest exactly what you did- take the CLEP and call it done. (assuming they accepted CLEP).
I can't think of anything to add that Cookderosa has not covered. CLEP is the cheapest, fastest and easiest way to get core classes done at MOST colleges. Each school has their own rules as to 1. If they Accept CLEP at all 2. What the passing score is for credit 3. How many credits they will take from CLEP and/or other credit courses.

You can take an pass the CLEP without having to take a COMPASS or Accuplacer. You can just take a CLEP at any testing center. Plus after reading how much extra time and money that could potentially cost…it's a no brainer. Go take the Math CLEP. If it's your weakest subject, study for it. Use the accuplacer software you purchased if you think it will help you pass the CLEP test.

Here are my favorite links for passing the CLEP math course:

College Mathematics CLEP Free Study Guide! - Free-Clep-Prep.com

Math 102: College Mathematics Course - Online Video Lessons | Education Portal

Stories | Khan Academy

About | Khan Academy

I have others, but these are my "go to" resources...forget about the accuplacer and just get the credit with CLEP. The money you spent on the software consider study aides for passing the actual exam. Read the exam specific feedback on this exam for what people thought and other resources. Also if the plan is to attend the same community college, find out their policies and in particular their CLEP passing scores for credit. I have never heard of any Community College not accepting CLEP. The CLEP site lists a link to find out if yours does:

College and University Institution Search for CLEP Credit for Exams | CLEP

Worst case scenario, the CLEP Math is failed. It doesn't really matter, because as Cookderosa pointed out, it's between you and the College Board. You wait 6 months and try again. For about 100 bucks (it's even better if you are military…but that's another topic)…you will know where you stand. Also if you PASS, it's 6 college credits for about 100 bucks…CLEP is a no-brainer…..try it and I bet you will find yourself hooked like the thousands on this site that have fast tracked their degree.

Let us know how you make out! I would be interested to see how much the accuplacer software helps you focus on what you need to work on the most and thus "help" you pass a CLEP!!!

Best of luck and hope this helps!
Tara
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]
Thanks for all of the insight and feedback! Every one of your responses has been very informative and great!

I guess I probably should have started with a little background information as well. First, I am 33 years old and I am trying to further my career as well as show my kids that college and a degree is very important and that it is well worth the time and effort to pursue a degree not matter what the subject might be. Make no mistake about it, I feel that I have grown exponentially in my career already and found out only yesterday that I was beaten out of a Director of Operations Management role at my current company for the simple fact that the last director who had transferred out of the position to a lateral position in a different division, wanted to come back. I actually interviewed so well that within the next month, they want me to begin a pilot program to begin training for those who want to move up in their career such as myself.

Second, I have been doing A LOT of research into CLEP examination including this site as well as others. The CC I want to attend does accept CLEP and they state that I have to score within the 50th percentile in order to gain credit. Also, they only award 3 credits each for Algebra, A&I, Comp(no mod) and 4 for Info Systems. I do have a few REA books as I planned on taking a few CLEP exams to start myself out on my journey (A&I, College Algebra, Info Systems, and Comp). I had only planned on taking and hoping to pass a few CLEP tests as I wanted to get a full benefit of learning for my eventual BS in Business Administration and ultimately a MBA. I am in no way mocking any of the degrees any of you have gained through your chosen paths of fulfillment. I just happen to learn a lot better in a classroom environment. Now, this CC is part of a degree transfer program in my state(Maryland) that, once the AA is achieved, can be used to transfer to basically any of the State Universities within the state.

All that being said, I agree that CLEP is a cheap and quicker way of gaining credit for these courses but I'm at the point where as long as I place well enough to not be in an developmental courses, I'd be happy to sign up for classes for this summer. But then again, if the majority of you guys, who are MUCH more knowledgeable about these CLEP exams than I am, feel that I am definitely wasting time and money taking these few courses and having the possibility of being "stuck" in developmental courses then maybe I should just CLEP them. I was told by the advisor as well as the transcript office that if I received a passing score on CLEP Algebra, A&I, and Comp that I would not have to take the accuplacer.

Sorry for being so long winded. I was hoping I could clear things up.
bldgengineer Wrote:Thanks for all of the insight and feedback! Every one of your responses has been very informative and great!

I guess I probably should have started with a little background information as well. First, I am 33 years old and I am trying to further my career as well as show my kids that college and a degree is very important and that it is well worth the time and effort to pursue a degree not matter what the subject might be. Make no mistake about it, I feel that I have grown exponentially in my career already and found out only yesterday that I was beaten out of a Director of Operations Management role at my current company for the simple fact that the last director who had transferred out of the position to a lateral position in a different division, wanted to come back. I actually interviewed so well that within the next month, they want me to begin a pilot program to begin training for those who want to move up in their career such as myself.

Second, I have been doing A LOT of research into CLEP examination including this site as well as others. The CC I want to attend does accept CLEP and they state that I have to score within the 50th percentile in order to gain credit. Also, they only award 3 credits each for Algebra, A&I, Comp(no mod) and 4 for Info Systems. I do have a few REA books as I planned on taking a few CLEP exams to start myself out on my journey (A&I, College Algebra, Info Systems, and Comp). I had only planned on taking and hoping to pass a few CLEP tests as I wanted to get a full benefit of learning for my eventual BS in Business Administration and ultimately a MBA. I am in no way mocking any of the degrees any of you have gained through your chosen paths of fulfillment. I just happen to learn a lot better in a classroom environment. Now, this CC is part of a degree transfer program in my state(Maryland) that, once the AA is achieved, can be used to transfer to basically any of the State Universities within the state.

All that being said, I agree that CLEP is a cheap and quicker way of gaining credit for these courses but I'm at the point where as long as I place well enough to not be in an developmental courses, I'd be happy to sign up for classes for this summer. But then again, if the majority of you guys, who are MUCH more knowledgeable about these CLEP exams than I am, feel that I am definitely wasting time and money taking these few courses and having the possibility of being "stuck" in developmental courses then maybe I should just CLEP them. I was told by the advisor as well as the transcript office that if I received a passing score on CLEP Algebra, A&I, and Comp that I would not have to take the accuplacer.

Sorry for being so long winded. I was hoping I could clear things up.

Having spent the better part of my adult life in a community college setting, I'm going to say that you're suffering from "Rose Colored Glasses Syndrome." It is, however, cured in about 16 weeks. Smile
Adults do exceptionally well in community college. You'll probably be shocked, and saddened, that earning a degree isn't as hard as you thought, and that you're a better student than you thought. You'll sit next to cheaters, and others who are invested in their own learning. Know that close to 80% in your freshman class will not finish their first year, a good chunk won't finish this semester. Your instructor may, or may not, opt to show up to every class; might be younger than you. Fellow classmates may, or may not, bother with turning in assignments and taking quizzes. It's probably not nearly as glamorous, challenging, or engaging as you hope. University attendance, however, will be different. In my opinion, earning your AA should be as fast and painless as possible, and above all else without debt, so you can go on about the business of taking your 300/400 level courses at the university.

Seriously, I respect your path, and I think that an articulation agreement is a smart play. I would say, if you're open, to pull up that list of acceptable CLEP exams at your school, and hold off on taking the CLASSES until you're into your second semester. That gives you time to decide whether or not you'd like to integrate more exams in your AA degree path. Once you complete the CLASS, you've used up that option for the corresponding exam. (CLEP exams will only count at the AA level, but will roll into your articulation agreement so it won't matter what exams the university does or doesn't accept. It will be a block transfer. You didn't ask, but it's worth adding)

EDIT: what your advising office told you doesn't count. You have to read the written policy, and let me emphasize, there IS ONE.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,807 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 746 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 148 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,032 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,838 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,229 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,430 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 466 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 832 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 319 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox