Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Weight Placed on the College Board Accuplacer Prep App?
cookderosa Wrote:Having spent the better part of my adult life in a community college setting, I'm going to say that you're suffering from "Rose Colored Glasses Syndrome." It is, however, cured in about 16 weeks. Smile
Adults do exceptionally well in community college. You'll probably be shocked, and saddened, that earning a degree isn't as hard as you thought, and that you're a better student than you thought. You'll sit next to cheaters, and others who are invested in their own learning. Know that close to 80% in your freshman class will not finish their first year, a good chunk won't finish this semester. Your instructor may, or may not, opt to show up to every class; might be younger than you. Fellow classmates may, or may not, bother with turning in assignments and taking quizzes. It's probably not nearly as glamorous, challenging, or engaging as you hope. University attendance, however, will be different. In my opinion, earning your AA should be as fast and painless as possible, and above all else without debt, so you can go on about the business of taking your 300/400 level courses at the university.

Seriously, I respect your path, and I think that an articulation agreement is a smart play. I would say, if you're open, to pull up that list of acceptable CLEP exams at your school, and hold off on taking the CLASSES until you're into your second semester. That gives you time to decide whether or not you'd like to integrate more exams in your AA degree path. Once you complete the CLASS, you've used up that option for the corresponding exam. (CLEP exams will only count at the AA level, but will roll into your articulation agreement so it won't matter what exams the university does or doesn't accept. It will be a block transfer. You didn't ask, but it's worth adding)

EDIT: what your advising office told you doesn't count. You have to read the written policy, and let me emphasize, there IS ONE.

I know we spoke via pm, but I when I re-read my last paragraph, I don't think I said what I meant as well as I could have.

I mean if you need Psych101 and Sociology 101 (for example) since they have corresponding CLEP exams, hold off on taking the CLASS version of those credits until you're sure you won't consider the CLEP version, because if you take the class version of both, you can't go back and do the CLEP- that's duplicating credit, which isn't allowed. So, instead, take classes that you don't have CLEP option for. HTH

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,807 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 744 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 147 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,018 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,838 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,226 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,428 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 466 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 832 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 319 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox