Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Brandman Students?
Looks like life threw me a curveball - just when I thought I had it figured out. My time line is a little shorter than expected, so I'm looking at my maybe list which includes WGU's Data Management and Analytics and Brandman's Information Systems Management - where I can also get a certificate in Business Analytics on the way.

Brandman looks a little cheaper than WGU. Plus, I could take up to 21 computer science credits from Saylor, on top of the normal general ed ACE nominated courses. Because I'm having trouble with taxes and my financial aid, it'll be some time before I start. I may be able to put a good dent into the degree over at there. Also, I'd have to get a database cert to get entrance into WGU.

I'm hoping to be almost done by the beginning of next year.

So, anyway I just wanted to see if there were any students lurking around. I almost never hear about this school.

Thanks!
Currently working on: BSBA-Accounting @ WGU

Open Source Degrees: Computer Science | Data Science | Game Development
Brownie82 Wrote:Looks like life threw me a curveball - just when I thought I had it figured out. My time line is a little shorter than expected, so I'm looking at my maybe list which includes WGU's Data Management and Analytics and Brandman's Information Systems Management - where I can also get a certificate in Business Analytics on the way.

Brandman looks a little cheaper than WGU. Plus, I could take up to 21 computer science credits from Saylor, on top of the normal general ed ACE nominated courses. Because I'm having trouble with taxes and my financial aid, it'll be some time before I start. I may be able to put a good dent into the degree over at there. Also, I'd have to get a database cert to get entrance into WGU.

I'm hoping to be almost done by the beginning of next year.

So, anyway I just wanted to see if there were any students lurking around. I almost never hear about this school.

Thanks!

Just a quick note about Saylor courses - there are some that are just terrible. My husband took the Networks proctored exam, and was seriously frustrated, as there were many wrong answers on it. Another poster here experienced the same thing. You may want to read about that before you get all hot and heavy on the Saylor stuff; if you are hoping for some "easy" credits, they may not be as easy as you think. My husband has worked in IT for almost 20 years, and had a bunch of certs couldn't pass the exam, and it's not because he was wrong - the exam was. He figured that no matter how much he studied for it, he didn't think he could pass an exam that had incorrect info on it (and I'm guessing he's right).

Not trying to tell you not to take them, just beware of the issues going into it. But obviously, you should still try to complete as many credits as you can.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Are you thinking of enrolling in Brandman or just taking a course? I have never heard of them.

You should probably do a whole bunch of ALEKS immediately (by the end of April 30th) in case they don't get renewed for ACE credit. Stats, College Algebra, Trig, etc.

Brandman University is one of the few schools that offers competency-based programs.

I remember they had a partnership with Saylor to accept their non-ACE/NCCRS-approved courses. I don't know what they mean by ACE recommendations for the courses listed on their page. Most of those courses are not ACE-approved.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Ideas Wrote:Are you thinking of enrolling in Brandman or just taking a course? I have never heard of them.

They used to be Chapman University, but rebranded their Online University part to Brandman (I think that's what happened).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
sanantone Wrote:Brandman University is one of the few schools that offers competency-based programs.

I remember they had a partnership with Saylor to accept their non-ACE/NCCRS-approved courses. I don't know what they mean by ACE recommendations for the courses listed on their page. Most of those courses are not ACE-approved.

I was curious about that, too. On Study.com's Brandman page, it looks like you'd take the courses and accumulate credits on your Saylor transcript. Saylor will send that to Brandman to apply to the degree.

dfrecore Wrote:Just a quick note about Saylor courses - there are some that are just terrible. My husband took the Networks proctored exam, and was seriously frustrated, as there were many wrong answers on it. Another poster here experienced the same thing. You may want to read about that before you get all hot and heavy on the Saylor stuff; if you are hoping for some "easy" credits, they may not be as easy as you think. My husband has worked in IT for almost 20 years, and had a bunch of certs couldn't pass the exam, and it's not because he was wrong - the exam was. He figured that no matter how much he studied for it, he didn't think he could pass an exam that had incorrect info on it (and I'm guessing he's right).

Not trying to tell you not to take them, just beware of the issues going into it. But obviously, you should still try to complete as many credits as you can.

And thanks for the heads up about their courses, I haven't taken any from Saylor yet, but I did read that review post. I figured I'd try it out. If anything, I'd learn something new that I can use once I actually start the program and fly through that competency/unit/etc.

Brownie82 Wrote:I was curious about that, too. On Study.com's Brandman page, it looks like you'd take the courses and accumulate credits on your Saylor transcript. Saylor will send that to Brandman to apply to the degree.

And thanks for the heads up about their courses, I haven't taken any from Saylor yet, but I did read that review post. I figured I'd try it out. If anything, I'd learn something new that I can use once I actually start the program and fly through that competency/unit/etc.

Going by memory, Brandman was the only school a few months ago that actually accepted the non-proctored exams for credit at Saylor.
However, I think they only accepted up to 21 credits in total for transfer. They're not that cheap as I think they're a for-profit.
How did you figure out it'll be cheaper than WGU? Brandman Tuition: https://www.brandman.edu/admissions/tuition
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Going by memory, Brandman was the only school a few months ago that actually accepted the non-proctored exams for credit at Saylor.
However, I think they only accepted up to 21 credits in total for transfer. They're not that cheap as I think they're a for-profit.
How did you figure out it'll be cheaper than WGU? Brandman Tuition: https://www.brandman.edu/admissions/tuition

I was looking at the MyPath Degree which is competency-based:
Quote:Brandman’s MyPath competency-based bachelor's programs cost $5,400 per CBE Academic Year consisting of two billing periods of $2,700 each. The first billing period begins when the student starts their competencies and ends when the student has completed a minimum of 12 credits and 24 weeks of instruction. The second billing period begins after the first period is over and ends when the student has completed a minimum of 24 credits and 48 weeks of instruction.

WGU is only *slightly* more expensive at $5780 + fees. From their calculator, Brandman's $5,400 includes tuition and fees. That's not considering any scholarships. I know I can't take advantage of SL scholarship of $500/term off, but if I decide on WGU, I'll shoot for one of the other ones that I am eligible for. Brandman also has a scholarship, but you'd need to start my May 31th, which would be cutting close for me.

bjcheung77 Wrote:They're not that cheap as I think they're a for-profit.

They're non-profit, as the page you linked to says, and they're cheaper than WGU. The page you linked to is for their more traditional online program, not their competency based program.

Here's the CBE pricing: https://www.brandman.edu/mypath/affordability
$5,400/year, two $2,700 6-month terms. Slightly cheaper than WGU.

I looked into them, but I decided against them primarily because they don't offer the certs that WGU does. Cost wasn't so much an issue since my employer is paying for pretty much all of it. On top of that, as you pointed out, they don't accept a lot of transfer credit.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
From the email that my coach sent me, they don't have an official limit of transfer credit. But, they do limit those Saylor credits to a max of 21 credits.

I was looking through their catalog and there are differences between the competency based and regular programs. But for both, it ooks like you only have to take 30 credits with at Brandman.

Quote:HI Eboni
My name is Ryan and I am one of the enrollment coaches for MyPath. *It is great to hear that you are considering the program and we do not have an official limit on transfer credit. Not all credits might apply but we can find out what does. Since you already submitted an application, all you have to do is get your official transcripts sent to us.* We will then see how your courses match up with the courses with the program. I attached the guide for you and information on where to have transcripts sent below.
You are welcome to call me at 949-383-3013 if you have any

I can attach the guide if anyone is interested.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 216 40,015 08-04-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,505 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 788 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Older teacher gets the students! bjcheung77 2 378 06-21-2024, 11:47 PM
Last Post: Ares
  UK students invading US institutions! And more... bjcheung77 1 349 05-20-2024, 09:26 PM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 1,140 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 515 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Grand Canyon Uni: 86K online students, over 960 Million in revenue. bjcheung77 1 704 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM
  Two 16 year old students are recognized... bjcheung77 0 473 05-14-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,815 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore