Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amberton
Are the exams all open-book? I have no interest in taking proctored exams, otherwise I would go to WGU. I prefer writing assignments over MC exams. Is 3 courses every 10 weeks feasible for their MBA program? Please advise.
University of Maine at Presque Isle
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
3.84 GPA
magna cum laude
August 25th, 2023

Eastern University
Master of Business Administration
3.45 GPA
August 31st, 2024
Some courses don't have exams. Some have open book exams. Some open book exams are timed. Some professors have the time set so that you really don't have time to search through your notes. I only had a couple of exams. The rest was writing. 3 courses per term is tough if you have a job. I went full time with 3-4 courses per term, but I wasn't working at the time. It was a LOT at times especially the end of the term when every course has a research project/paper due.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, origamishuttle, Vle045
I feel like you really need to review the syllabi and compare the assignments and the weeks each are due. I say this because I did 2 classes (not MBA but grad courses nonetheless) and didn’t realize they both had exams the same weeks and papers due the same weeks. It was the worst semester I’ve ever had and I really struggled working FT, being a mom/wife and doing 2 classes where everything was due at the same time. I’ve learned from that and carefully compare the syllabi now to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

Hope that helps you.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 3 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • origamishuttle, ss20ts, Vle045
(07-22-2023, 07:01 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I feel like you really need to review the syllabi and compare the assignments and the weeks each are due. I say this because I did 2 classes (not MBA but grad courses nonetheless) and didn’t realize they both had exams the same weeks and papers due the same weeks. It was the worst semester I’ve ever had and I really struggled working FT, being a mom/wife and doing 2 classes where everything was due at the same time. I’ve learned from that and carefully compare the syllabi now to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

Hope that helps you.

2 exams in 2 1 week? Ouch! In every class, I had assignments due every week. Some were cited discussions and responses and some were papers or PowerPoints. Don't be fooled into thinking the discussions take 5 minutes because they were long. They required peer reviewed journal articles with citations in both the discussion post and the responses. If there are team assignments, they can be problematic as no one is on the same schedule. I know many people with jobs and families really struggled with 2 courses. Add on the reading and it can be very time consuming taking grad classes.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle, Vle045
Oh it was brutal! After that I took 2 semesters off! Ha. Starting back up in the fall and reviewing syllabuses now.

I always avoid anything with group projects because it seems everyone is last minute and I’m the only one that doesn’t do schoolwork at 4am ?‍♀️. As much as I’m an overachiever, I’m rethinking the 2 classes a semester and just going with one. I’m halfway done so I really want to just finish already but balance is really what is important at this point. I should repeat that to myself again so it sinks in!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 2 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • ss20ts, Vle045
You have some very good advice klone. I didn't go to Amberton but I am doing an MBA. After trying two courses during my first semester, I decided slow and steady is the pace for me. You will need to determine how much free time you have. Allow about 15-20 hours a week per class. It may be more/less for you, but maybe start with 1 or 2 and get a feel for the workload before you try three courses at a time.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
(07-22-2023, 09:04 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: Oh it was brutal! After that I took 2 semesters off! Ha. Starting back up in the fall and reviewing syllabuses now.

I always avoid anything with group projects because it seems everyone is last minute and I’m the only one that doesn’t do schoolwork at 4am ?‍♀️. As much as I’m an overachiever, I’m rethinking the 2 classes a semester and just going with one. I’m halfway done so I really want to just finish already but balance is really what is important at this point. I should repeat that to myself again so it sinks in!

I had a class with a team project and NEVER again! Seriously it was just awful. One person kept plagiarizing and not doing their work. People wouldn't meet the deadlines. I didn't realize how difficult a team paper would be in an online course. I thought it would be easier than an in person course and I was 1000% wrong! 

I also found taking extra classes in the summer and fall was more difficult because I personally am really busy throughout summer and early fall. Once it gets cold, I stop going to the local lakes and stay home. So late fall, winter, and spring i get a lot more done.
Timed exams yes, proctored no.  One of the best thing about their MBA programs is that they offer concentration specific options (less 'fluff' courses required), and their more generic MBA(s) tend to offer flexibility in taking subjects that interest you vs fixed list.

Most (not all) courses do offer multiple versions - one version could be writing heavy, the next semester version exam heavy. This is most common for courses that are offered most semesters. Amberton has a very good chart available for course rotation. So, if you are in MBA-PM (for example), you may find that the courses are in a fixed rotation, as they build up from each other (which is the nature of PM) - not much way in the way of personal choice there. If you plan early you can start monitoring the courses you need and see how they alter from one semester to the next based on the syllabuses.  

What I liked best is that many (again, not all) of the 'textbooks' are not textbooks, they are readily available and relevant books on the topics (although I never took and accounting course at Amberton, that could be different - textbook heavy subject). Textbooks can be very expensive (even as rentals), and I was able to get every book needed at an affordable rate.  After all, what is the point of offering affordable tuition and then requiring expensive textbooks. Honestly, I took two courses where I was able to borrow the needed book(s) through my local library system (Free!). So when you're looking at the syllabus for the courses you can see which books are needed and do research on those as well. I will add that in my experience, if the book was in the syllabus - it was actually needed for the course.

Once you 'get through' those two required (sigh) Required Graduate Studies courses, the rest of your chosen degree is not only a pleasant experience but relevant to your career.  The 10 weeks course schedule is just long enough, without being too long. They keep you busy, but I never felt like it was busy work.  I had attended four other graduate programs (dropped out of 3 grad schools, may return to complete 4th school's master in Data Science) before completing my master at Amerbeton (5th time was the charm - although I did change my degree plan three times at Amberton, MBA > MAPD > MS); so I have some insight that others here may not. With all that, I completely recommend Amberton.  They offer programs in specific areas, as well offering options for someone who needs/wants a master degree in 'something' but aren't sure just what (yet want to be able to 'check that master degree box'). In the end I feel like I completed the degree I was meant to have, and it has served me very well since it was conferred last year.

Finally, since it's been a hot topic of discussion on the forum recently, I'll say that they send you a very attractive 11x14 diploma. It is too big to just fit in your desk drawer, which is fine because it is quite impressive when hung for display in the diploma frame I bought off Amazon  Smile
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Kab
Amberton's a good choice, they've got a few MBA concentrations as mentioned, you may also look at the other MS options if the MBA doesn't cut it for you, otherwise, you should investigate all offerings that they provide to see which one suits you better. I think the MBA with a concentration of your choice is recommended as they have the ACBSP accreditation you're looking for and the non-proctored yet timed exams...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coming Soon to Amberton University ss20ts 0 122 09-23-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Need Input on My Amberton University Master's/HR Certification Plan Claudia P 8 895 02-13-2024, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Claudia P
  MS in Enterprise Analytics from Amberton? buttercup5000 5 732 10-01-2023, 10:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question for Amberton University MAPD/Counseling students/grads Amberlinjeanne 3 924 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 681 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Big Grin Amberton's M.A. - Prof. Development - just graduated kevinmane 17 7,192 11-27-2022, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Tedium
Big Grin Where are my Amberton peeps? Have a question suzycupcake 7 1,626 10-30-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  New Amberton Grad Certificate ss20ts 0 714 09-21-2022, 11:23 AM
  Amberton University ss20ts 13 2,658 06-28-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Amberton University ss20ts 80 9,180 05-19-2022, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac