Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative to UMPI Eng 121
Hello-
Just thought I would share an alternative to ENG 121 at UMPI. I, like many others are cautiously avoiding ENG 121 course at UMPI. I explored Olivet for their ENG 121 alternative and although it is only one paper, 7-9 pages in the end, the work getting to the point of actually writing the paper was enormous. It would have taken me at least a month or more. I opted for ENG 105 at Study.com as it transfers to UMPI for ENG 121. I just finished it today with an "A". It consisted of 51 quizzes, 1- research proposal, and 2 research papers (MLA style and 1500 word), and a final 100 question exam.  I wrote average of 1000 words for each paper and still scored well. The assignments are only worth, 20, 40, 40 respectively. Quizzes, 100 and Final 100. 210 points needed to pass the course. Good luck to all!  Shy
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jennr2z's post:
  • origamishuttle
Interesting. I thought the current recommendation was to take Eng Comp at UMPI when enrolling there. Has that changed? Are there issues there lately with those classes?
Why are you cautiously avoiding ENG121?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The instructor can be very “challenging” is the feedback I’ve gathered. I would say it’s 50/50 on feedback in this forum and others, so a lot like myself are opting to take before UMPI. I just didn’t want the risk of being slowed down by an unreasonable instructor. Some have done fine in the class, but it was enough negative to scare me off! Jessica mentioned possibly a replacement instructor but no guarantee.
Jennr2z Wrote:The instructor can be very “challenging” is the feedback I’ve gathered. I would say it’s 50/50 on feedback in this forum and others, so a lot like myself are opting to take before UMPI. I just didn’t want the risk of being slowed down by an unreasonable instructor. Some have done fine in the class, but it was enough negative to scare me off! Jessica mentioned possibly a replacement instructor but no guarantee.

What really matters is that you've got the check box for the course, I wouldn't put too much thought about the instructor as each professor is radically different than the other. In the future, don't put too much into that thought, this is because you'll come across similar situations and you just need to "butt heads" and get it done... situations such as this happen, even when you're in grad school. Many look at grad reports and reviews of professors before taking courses at any institution, I do too, but then again, I don't look at it all that much and just do whatever I can to get better grades.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts
Just thought I would chime in on ENG 121 course at UMPI. I was concerned when submitting my assignment (11+ pages), and, as warned, I received a lengthy feedback response. It was 4 heavy paragraphs. However, even though it was suggesting and requesting multiple revisions, I thought the feedback was very insightful and had a kind nature. There has been a lot of talk about having issues with APA7 pushback from the professor, but that was not the cast at all for me. At the end, once the revisions were squared away, the grading was a breeze. The class was a solid experience, and I would encourage those not to overthink this one class. Now, 6 classes later, it is already a distant memory and any time worrying was just a waste of energy.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
[-] The following 3 users Like KSoul's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az, ss20ts
(07-26-2022, 07:38 PM)Jennr2z Wrote: Hello-
Just thought I would share an alternative to ENG 121 at UMPI. I, like many others are cautiously avoiding ENG 121 course at UMPI. I explored Olivet for their ENG 121 alternative and although it is only one paper, 7-9 pages in the end, the work getting to the point of actually writing the paper was enormous. It would have taken me at least a month or more. I opted for ENG 105 at Study.com as it transfers to UMPI for ENG 121. I just finished it today with an "A". It consisted of 51 quizzes, 1- research proposal, and 2 research papers (MLA style and 1500 word), and a final 100 question exam.  I wrote average of 1000 words for each paper and still scored well. The assignments are only worth, 20, 40, 40 respectively. Quizzes, 100 and Final 100. 210 points needed to pass the course. Good luck to all!  Shy

Why? Eng Comp 2 at UMPI is 1 paper. It's like 3-4 pages long. It's an annotated bibliography. Study is far more work than UMPI for Eng Comp 2. I finished that class is less than 3 days at UMPI.

(07-26-2022, 09:20 PM)Jennr2z Wrote: The instructor can be very “challenging” is the feedback I’ve gathered. I would say it’s 50/50 on feedback in this forum and others, so a lot like myself are opting to take before UMPI. I just didn’t want the risk of being slowed down by an unreasonable instructor. Some have done fine in the class, but it was enough negative to scare me off! Jessica mentioned possibly a replacement instructor but no guarantee.

The professor changes every semester for this class. There is someone else teaching it in the fall. Many students did not find that one challenging. I know many students who weren't following the rubric.
(07-27-2022, 12:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Why? Eng Comp 2 at UMPI is 1 paper. It's like 3-4 pages long. It's an annotated bibliography. Study is far more work than UMPI for Eng Comp 2. I finished that class is less than 3 days at UMPI.

(07-26-2022, 09:20 PM)Jennr2z Wrote: The instructor can be very “challenging” is the feedback I’ve gathered. I would say it’s 50/50 on feedback in this forum and others, so a lot like myself are opting to take before UMPI. I just didn’t want the risk of being slowed down by an unreasonable instructor. Some have done fine in the class, but it was enough negative to scare me off! Jessica mentioned possibly a replacement instructor but no guarantee.

The professor changes every semester for this class. There is someone else teaching it in the fall. Many students did not find that one challenging. I know many students who weren't following the rubric.

The professor for my class was the one everyone is complaining about on Discord.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
(07-27-2022, 01:12 PM)KSoul Wrote: The professor for my class was the one everyone is complaining about on Discord.

OK. The professor is changing for the fall semester. This is the summer semester. Many people have been fine with this professor. I see a lot of people post on socials about following the rubric. I've seen posts showing step by step what they did and they didn't have to make any changes. Lots of professors send the rough draft back with wanting changes made. That's really common.

Maybe the ENG 121 assignment changed from when you took it ? KSouls paper was 11 + pages?

Maybe the ENG 121 assignment changed from when you took it ? KSouls paper was 11 + pages?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 195 Yesterday, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 246 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 175 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 152 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 292 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 283 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,554 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,469 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 496 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 356 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM